I am new to this site but,

swthang

Currently I am not feeling welcome and the spirit in my ward. I would like to go to a new one and still stay where I am now. The new ward is still close by, and I am not going to this new one for any particluar reason, other than I want to go and feel the spirit! So My question, Can I just start going to a new ward and have the clerk there transfer my records with out talking to my current Bishop?

Thanks

You can do whatever you want. However, if you wish to regularly attend another ward, it is best if you talk to your bishop about the circumstances and reasons why you want to do that. If you want your records sent to another ward, it has to be approved by the authorities involved, and generally needs the approval of the Stake President. It is not encouraged for this to be common practice, it has proven to be disruptive to both wards and the members, and many times the member ends up becoming inactive.

Have you been to this new ward?

I assume its still in your stake?

The bishop is going to know it one way or the other. Really you would need to talk to the new ward's bishop and maybe he could handle the rest, but the bishop knows when membership records change.

What happens when you come to find some other reason to not like the new ward? Another change?

There is a difference from having some exception of what others SHOULD do, and what you can do to change the ward. Meaning, maybe you need to stay in your ward so you can be the one to help welcome others?

Currently I am not feeling welcome and the spirit in my ward. I would like to go to a new one and still stay where I am now. The new ward is still close by, and I am not going to this new one for any particluar reason, other than I want to go and feel the spirit! So My question, Can I just start going to a new ward and have the clerk there transfer my records with out talking to my current Bishop?

I have known some people who, for very real reasons, wanted to go to another ward. I don't assume your reasons automatically mean you will always think attending another ward is the answer.

One of these people was a woman who, because of her physical illness, could not attend church when it was the early hour. Her bishop refused to let her attend a ward that met at a later hour. It was her understanding that he was within his right to do so as he was the one who had stewardship over her.

So, no, I don't think you can have your records sent to another ward if you don't physically live within its boundaries. No other bishop has stewardship over you.

Elphaba

I would bite my tongue and stay... wards tend to grow. Maybe you can not change the ward, but you can change yourself so you acept them with their failours... and btw. Welcome!

No offense, but that's easier said than done. If they don't feel the spirit going to the ward just because of "ward boundaries" and people are treating them bad, it most likely isn't them.

Yes, a person can change, but there is only so much one can do when a ward refuses to change.

I, personally, have a great ward, but I have friends who are in wards that there isn't a Sunday where they don't come home crying from Church because of how they are treated or their children are treated. And this was even after trying everything they could to reach out...

Wards or I should say congregations, are just people some are better than others. They are not the Gospel, with some promoting its teachings wonderfully, while others for some reason feel that Church and temple attendance is all that they need in order to make it to the Celestial Kingdom...

But they forget one tiny detail: Love one another.

So yes, one should try to change themselves, but if the ward continues to be unkind and its unbearable then leave. The Lord will take care of that ward Himself.

First of all, its better to go to a different ward than not go at all.

Having said that, I would be more concerned with why I am not able to feel the spirit in my current ward. Is there someone who has offended me? If I feel unwelcome or uncomfortable, why do I feel that way? Have you talked to your bishop about these concerns? He may be able to engage some of the ward leaders and have them help you feel more welcome.

In the end if you still want to go to a different ward that is an option. It is preferred that you go to the ward in which you live, but I don't think it is a rule per say.