Word usage in Modern Scripture

Webster

Can anyone think of words found in our modern scripture (i.e., triple combination) which do not follow established usage?

I can think of a few examples: D&C 97:21 says that Zion is the Pure in Heart (traditional usage would say it's the name of a place or an ideal). D&C 64:23-25 uses the word Today to describe the period of time until the second coming (but it seems clear that the Lord is intentionally redefining it). There's also the idea of Light which seems to be describing a spiritual phenomena or power, rather than the usual physical illumination meaning, although spiritual Light certainly is related to the idea of spiritual illumination and may have some properties that are similar to physical light.

My examples above seem to be where the Lord has used an existing word that's similar to what He's trying to describe, then tweaking it to fit His particular meaning. Do you have any other examples of redefinitions from the scriptures? Are there any words that the Lord has used in a completely new manner without redefining them?

I'd be interested to hear others' ideas on this.

More info on the word Light: I looked up the word Light in the 1828 Dictionary to see if our usage was truly unique. It said that Light can refer to God (1 John 1 - God is light) or Chirst (1 John - paraphrase: Christ is the light that lighteth every man that enters the world). Our D&C 93 is also information that comes from John and that's were we get some very interesting "Mormon" material about the meaning of Light. The word Light may not be a completely new usage by our church, since it appears briefly in the New Testament, and our revelations have basically taken that idea and expanded on it. (Light of Christ)

Edited by Webster
Fix typos

That's a good example of a new word. I was thinking more along the lines of existing words that were given new or expanded meanings.

I think I read something once that said that the Greek word 'telos' means 'end', and I think the JST in 1 Cor. 15 says something about, "then cometh the end" in reference to the last resurrection (which would be those who are telestial) so there may me a connection there.

Any other examples?

Here's something just for ConnieM:

In the German translation of the Doctrine and Covenants and the Book of Moses, the word "agency" was translated as "entscheidungsfreiheit" (freedom of choice) in one place and "selbständigkeit" (independence) in four other places. But in the English dictionary the definition for the word Agency has nothing to do with independence or freedom or choice/choose.

Here's something just for ConnieM:

In the German translation of the Doctrine and Covenants and the Book of Moses, the word "agency" was translated as "entscheidungsfreiheit" (freedom of choice) in one place and "selbständigkeit" (independence) in four other places. But in the English dictionary the definition for the word Agency has nothing to do with independence or freedom or choice/choose.

You're right. It gives me only German words that would not have anything to do with free agency as mentioned in the scriptures.

When I looked up "Agency" in a dictionary this is the result:

1. (noun) agency, federal agency, government agency, bureau, office, authority

an administrative unit of government

2. (noun) agency

a business that serves other businesses

3. (noun) agency

the state of being in action or exerting power

4. (noun) representation, delegacy, agency

the state of serving as an official and authorized delegate or agent

5. (noun) means, agency, way

how a result is obtained or an end is achieved

This shows that agency covers at least these 5 meanings and in the German language these different meanings have their own words. 1=Behörde, 2=Agentur, 3=? no equivalent, 4=Vertretung, 5=Wirkung oder Hilfe.

Do you think that one of these definitions helps to understand the word agency in relation with the gospel? Or would you say that the use of the word agency found somewhat a new definition in the church?

Because most of the translations in the German dictionary list words meantioned above but not one that can be truly meant in Doctrine and Covenants.

And... the word agency developed from the latin word agere, agentis meaning to act. Well... Selbständigkeit (synonyms would be for example: Unabhängigkeit = independence, and Selbstverwaltung=self-government) literally means that someone is able to stand by himself = selbst stehen. And developed into a meaning that refers to someone who can do something by himself and does not need help.

Entscheidungsfreiheit can be translated into English as freedom of decision-making. In many German dictionaries you cannot find it! In German we often put some nouns together to describe something if we lack a word for it. So in this case it could be that there was no true equivalent to agency and that's why they came up with this...

D&C 19:

4 And surely every man must repent or suffer, for I, God, am endless.

5 Wherefore, I revoke not the judgments which I shall pass, but woes shall go forth, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, yea, to those who are found on my left hand.

6 Nevertheless, it is not written that there shall be no end to this torment, but it is written endless torment.

7 Again, it is written eternal damnation; wherefore it is more express than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men, altogether for my name’s glory.

8 Wherefore, I will explain unto you this mystery, for it is meet unto you to know even as mine apostles.

9 I speak unto you that are chosen in this thing, even as one, that you may enter into my rest.

10 For, behold, the mystery of godliness, how great is it! For, behold, I am endless, and the punishment which is given from my hand is endless punishment, for Endless is my name. Wherefore—

11 Eternal punishment is God’s punishment.

12 Endless punishment is God’s punishment.

So. Eternal, and Endless as words for God Himself.

HiJolly

HiJolly:

Great example! (I knew this but it hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks!) He kind of hints at the play on words in this example when He says that He is Endless and that Endless is His name. I think we could easily say that if Eternal punishment is God's punishment, then Eternal life is God's life, or enjoying the type and quality of life that God has.

Eternal shows up as, "an appellation of God," in my 1828 Dictionary, but Endless does not, so it's interesting that He defined Endless as one of His names, but didn't with Eternal (because that was already defined that way in the dictionary).

(I also consider Alma's reference to an, "infinite and eternal atonement," in Alma 34:10 to be referring to an atonement made by God himself, since the same verse hints that it is not a human sacrifice. Also see the end of verse 14 for more of this hinting.)

ConnieM:

Thank you for the additional information. Very interesting! I'll look at it more in depth, and make a comment about it later on.

My quick answer is that I do believe that the dictionary definition for Agency is correct and we should try to understand how it applies to our scripture.

ConnieM:

Two possibilities from the dictionary definition for Agency and how they may apply to the gospel:

1) As you correctly pointed out, Agency comes from the Latin meaning "to act". Its primary definition from the 1828 dictionary is, "The quality of moving or of exerting power; the state of being in action; action; operation; instrumentality; as, the agency of providence in the natural world." We can see this definition in the Book of Mormon where it talks about mankind being able to "act" for themselves. 2 Nephi 2:14 says that there are things that act (have agency in the primary sense) and things that are acted upon (do not have agency). D&C 93:30 also says that Intelligence, like Truth, can, "act for itself." Men are not passive beings, but active beings. We are expected to do things; to be, "anxiously engaged," (D&C 58:27).

2) The secondary definition from the 1828 dictionary is, "The office of an agent, or factor; business of an agent entrusted with the concerns of another; as, the principal pays the charges of agency." We see this secondary definition in the Book of Mormon as well. Two verses after Lehi talked about things which act (have primary agency), he says that the Lord gave unto man that he should, "act for himself," (twice in verse 2 Nephi 2:16, and once later in verse 26). The Doctrine and Covenants and the Book of Moses both talk about men being, "agents unto themselves." The idea of acting for oneself or being an agent unto oneself might be using the secondary meaning of Agency (the office held by an agent who legally acts for, or represents, another). If men are agents "unto themselves", then they would legally act for or represent themselves. They would be their own agents, and as such, would be legally bound by their actions, and therefore, accountable. The law of agency in this sense would become the foundational principle upon which our accountability rests.

The idea of, "freedom of choice," etc. for the meaning of agency that is commonly used in the church comes from the traditional definition of, "free agency," which is a specific type of agency. "Free agency" is a correct principle, but it is not what the Lord actually said in our scriptures. Even though the church is trying to stop the use of the term, "free agency," its meaning is still being applied to Agency rather than using the dictionary's definition.

annamaureen:

That might be true for the Bible (who knows), but I would find that hard to believe for the LDS scriptures. I would find it hard to believe that a French translator could do a better job second hand than a prophet with a urim and thummim or direct revelation first hand. I would guess the missionary was referring to the Bible.

ConnieM:

Two possibilities from the dictionary definition for Agency and how they may apply to the gospel:

1) As you correctly pointed out, Agency comes from the Latin meaning "to act". Its primary definition from the 1828 dictionary is, "The quality of moving or of exerting power; the state of being in action; action; operation; instrumentality; as, the agency of providence in the natural world." We can see this definition in the Book of Mormon where it talks about mankind being able to "act" for themselves. 2 Nephi 2:14 says that there are things that act (have agency in the primary sense) and things that are acted upon (do not have agency). D&C 93:30 also says that Intelligence, like Truth, can, "act for itself." Men are not passive beings, but active beings. We are expected to do things; to be, "anxiously engaged," (D&C 58:27).

2) The secondary definition from the 1828 dictionary is, "The office of an agent, or factor; business of an agent entrusted with the concerns of another; as, the principal pays the charges of agency." We see this secondary definition in the Book of Mormon as well. Two verses after Lehi talked about things which act (have primary agency), he says that the Lord gave unto man that he should, "act for himself," (twice in verse 2 Nephi 2:16, and once later in verse 26). The Doctrine and Covenants and the Book of Moses both talk about men being, "agents unto themselves." The idea of acting for oneself or being an agent unto oneself might be using the secondary meaning of Agency (the office held by an agent who legally acts for, or represents, another). If men are agents "unto themselves", then they would legally act for or represent themselves. They would be their own agents, and as such, would be legally bound by their actions, and therefore, accountable. The law of agency in this sense would become the foundational principle upon which our accountability rests.

The idea of, "freedom of choice," etc. for the meaning of agency that is commonly used in the church comes from the traditional definition of, "free agency," which is a specific type of agency. "Free agency" is a correct principle, but it is not what the Lord actually said in our scriptures. Even though the church is trying to stop the use of the term, "free agency," its meaning is still being applied to Agency rather than using the dictionary's definition.

Thank you. This helps to clarify the term. Translation is such a difficult thing... I mean, I cannot find a good translation for agency into German. Perhaps that's why they stick to the term "Entscheidungsfreiheit"?

Although it is used throughout scriptute, I think the general way people define it and hence think of it in the Bible is far different than how the Book of Mormon defines it:

Moroni 7:47 - But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

There's quite a difference between helping people and trying to have a perfect love as Jesus has.

I'd like to see how "from all eternity to all eternity" translates into different languages.

Uses:

Moses 7:

29 And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?

31 And thou hast taken Zion to thine own bosom, from all thy creations, from all eternity to all eternity; and naught but peace, justice, and truth is the habitation of thy throne; and mercy shall go before thy face and have no end; how is it thou canst weep?

Mosiah 3:

5 For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases.

Alma 13:

7 This high priesthood being after the order of his Son, which order was from the foundation of the world; or in other words, being without beginning of days or end of years, being prepared from eternity to all eternity, according to his foreknowledge of all things—

Moroni 8:

18 For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity.

D&C 39:

1 Hearken and listen to the voice of him who is from all eternity to all eternity, the Great I Am, even Jesus Christ—

Moses 6:

67 And thou art after the order of him who was without beginning of days or end of years, from all eternity to all eternity.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not looking for new words. I am looking for examples in our LDS scriptures where the Lord has redefined an existing English word to mean something other than its normal, accepted definition. (See above for examples we've already come up with.)

"youward" is not in the 1828 Dictionary, but I can find it in a number of books published in the early 1800s. D&C 112:15 seems perfectly in line with the other examples (found mainly in religious contexts) that I've seen. It is either not an existing word, or it is not a redefinition from its normal meaning.