Converting *from* LDS

BrotherBear

All I know is that the Catholic church doesn't recognize any other baptism, so any convert would have to attend classes for several months. There are other denominations that recognize LDS baptism, so a potential convert would be accepted as a member if they chose to join.

Well the Catholic Church is the only church, as an orginzation, that doesnt have a problem with us, partly because we dont give them crap like other churches have and partly because they Think that the gospel never left the earth, meaning that they are right, or that it did in which case them and all other breakoffs of there church, Which I think is most of the Christian faiths out there, are wrong in which case God would need to restore the Gospel Hince Joseph Smiths first vision and the events after that, In fact they even defended us after that nasty home Invasion commercial came out.

Edited by James_Fryman

Well the Catholic Church is the only church, as an orginzation, that doesnt have a problem with us, partly because we dont give them crap like other churches have and partly because they Think that the gospel never left the earth, meaning that they are right, or that it did in which case them and all other breakoffs of there church, Which I think is most of the Christian faiths out there, are wrong in which case God would need to restore the Gospel Hince Joseph Smiths first vision and the events after that

Wow, and here I thought I was the king of run-on sentences.

There is a misconception in this church that God looks upon us with narrowed vision and in that He only loves us when we are good.

There are two sides to our heavily parent one as our father and the other as our God. Both love us unconditionally regardless of what have done, do now and will do in the future. He being the almighty is not weighed down by emotions like disappointment, hatred or unrighteous anger. But as God he must judge us for failing to obey the law that we agreed to abide to before accepting His Son's plan.

Think about His love, the law says no sin not even a tiny one, in that it is absolute and unmoving; this is the God in Him. Abiding to the law brings untold blessings and abilities like He has. But He knew we would fail, perfection is tuff, so the father in Him gave us a simpler way to fulfil the law and that was to have someone who loved us equally, someone He knew that would succeed and have Him satisfy the demands of justice. This then allowed us to repent when we failed. The payoff for this is that we lose the ability to get back by our own efforts we rely on someone else no matter how close to perfection we manage here.

The gospel exist in the world but normally is fragmented and good men and women sometimes pick up one of these fragments and build their church on it.

The LDS church is the only church on Earth that claims to have the fullness of the gospel, all the fragments, including all the saving graces.

As a seeker of the truth is OK to see the good in churches but when you deliberate which has all the truth that should be the one you build your future on. But remember the road ahead is often difficult but the destination makes the journey worth it.

Hypothetically, we're friends and would not date in the future nor marry.

... so I said, ""Hypothetically" I say just let him go his merry way. Opens up room for the rest of us here who think you're cute to actually get our fan mail read. Oh, and uh.. hypothetically my mail is all getting returned to sender. How could I Hypothetically correct such an issue?

It was an attempt at humor. Explaining it now would make us both look like buffoons. ^_^

Hidden

I didn't read all the posts but I'd just say, "Stop going to the LDS church and become a Christian and go to the new church. God knows the truth and I bet would not require having the name removed from the LDS rolls. I think people get too caught up on the man made institutions of paperwork when really it's the heart and understanding of what being a Christian means that matters.

These is purely a hypothetical question, but humor me if you will. I'm asking hypothetically to protect the names of a friend who expressed interest in Christianity. From what little I understand of Methodists, what is the proper procedure for LDS conversion if this even makes sense?

Please don't jump all over me, I'm happy LDS, this is hypothetical. Thanks!

Although I don't know the person or their personal situation and I am in no position to offer any 'proper' advice I will suggest that he or she talk to their Bishop.

If the person in question is keen to leave maybe suggest they pray about it first like they might have when they 'joined' the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I believe it is between them and the Lord - as long as they decide to stay or go for reasons right for them and not anyone else. A testimony is a choice, faith begins within our hearts and because we are given agency to chose it is afterall their choice. Pray for your friend and add their name to the Temple Prayer roll.

Hopefully they won't go afterall. :)

From what I've read about this, it seems a bit of a legal muddle. If I understand rightly, "apostasy" is considered an excommunicatable offence and (according to the Handbook of Instructions) requests for name removal should take second place to disciplinary proceedings. So I assume that requesting your name to be removed in order to join another church could itself be cause for refusing name removal and holding a court of excommunication.

This is incorrect.

It does not matter why someone resigns from the Church. Once the bishop receives the resignation in writing, that person is no longer a member; therefore, the Church cannot hold a court of excommunication. It is also the Church's policy not to hold a court for anyone who has resigned.

Also there is some disagreement about whether refusing to remove a person's name and excommunicating them instead is even legal. Some say it violates Freedom of Religion, and that anyone so-treated would have grounds to sue the Church. Others insist that Freedom of Religion applies only to government, and that private organisations like churches can do what they like.

It's my understanding the Church can do what it chooses with your membership records, and really, it is impossible to remove someone entirely from the records. However, I'm not exactly sure what the policy is in that regard.

But once the bishop has received notification of your resignation, you are no longer a member, and the Church cannot treat you as such, nor does it attempt to.

The best solution, I suppose, would be to request name removal but refuse to give any reason.

The person can say whatever s/he likes, as long as the verbage includes language specifically stating s/he resigns from the Church.

Elphaba