A priesthood question

Maya

If you are fex because of a snowstorm unable to drive to the Church can prisethood bearers bless sakrament and deal it at home? Do you need a tumbs up from the bishop or something? My DH says you need to ask the bishop first. Also WHEN is it ok to deal sacrament in a family? Has anyone ever done that? I know they sometimes go to deal out the sacrament to an elderly lady who is unable to get to the Church.

Anf "if" one were stuck on an island with no bishop available; a worthy preisthood holder can bless by himself.:)

The bishop isn't needed to bless the Sacrament. The bishop's approval is required for administration of the Sacrament within his ward boundaries but not at church.

An since none of us are ever likely to actually be stuck on an island with no bishop available, it's pretty irrelevant.

It seems to me we discussed this not too long ago and didn't really come to a consensus. My opinion, though, is that in this "desert island" scenario the priesthood holder cannot bless the sacrament, because while he has the priesthood he lacks the priesthood keys.

It's the same reason that, in the absence of the original Apostles, the elders of the primitive Church couldn't re-constitute a new Quorum of the Twelve and keep the work going. Where the keys are lacking, the work of the Church grinds to a halt.

Need to keep in mind that we believe in a symbolic communion. The bread and water are in reminder of our faith and covenants. Making the ceremony such that this faith renewing process is inaccessible and only can occur under precise conditions seems to put a barrier in front of this renewal process and shift the emphasis from individual communion to the ceremony itself.

I figure that it is similar to church. Whenever the Bishop can't attend, the councilors take over. And if they can't then the next individual down the chain presides. Note that it is presides and not simply conducts. I am slightly moved to think that it works the same way with the sacrament. Whenever the bishop is unable to give approval, I don't see why the next available in the chain couldn't.

I don't know if it works the same way for us not being able to attend.

Either way, please don't take this as doctrine or supportable. It is simply my 2 cents of speculation. :)

It seems to me we discussed this not too long ago and didn't really come to a consensus. My opinion, though, is that in this "desert island" scenario the priesthood holder cannot bless the sacrament, because while he has the priesthood he lacks the priesthood keys.

It's the same reason that, in the absence of the original Apostles, the elders of the primitive Church couldn't re-constitute a new Quorum of the Twelve and keep the work going. Where the keys are lacking, the work of the Church grinds to a halt.

I'm a bit confused then. When my dad was in the hospital, there were two elderly couples that came around on Sunday to administer the Sacrament. The men blessed the Sacrament there in his room and administered it. This was without any Bishop being around. Wouldn't that be the same thing? Or was it different in that there were two Priesthood holders there, plus my brother who is also a Priesthood holder?

I'm a bit confused then. When my dad was in the hospital, there were two elderly couples that came around on Sunday to administer the Sacrament. The men blessed the Sacrament there in his room and administered it. This was without any Bishop being around. Wouldn't that be the same thing? Or was it different in that there were two Priesthood holders there, plus my brother who is also a Priesthood holder?

The presence of the bishop isn't a problem. The only thing they need is to ask the bishop for permission. I speculated with extenuating circumstances in my last post, but if the bishop is available, he must definitely be asked. And there is still a large part of me that agrees with Just a Guy.

Edited by ozzy
Further consideration

Okay I think I understand. Since these couples have been called to perform this at the hospital then it's okay as they would have a Bishop or a Stake Presidents permission and blessing. That makes sense then.

But as a hypothetical situation as in Maya's case at times. They get a lot of snow that sometimes has them snowed in and unable to leave their home. Would her husband not be able to bless the Sacrament in the confines of their home in a condition such as this? This is more of a real situation than being stranded on some desert island.

I'm relying on you Priesthood holders here. lol Since I don't hold the Priesthood, I don't know all the answers to questions such as this.

They would have been previously authorized by the Bishop to perform the ordinance.

Okay I think I understand. Since these couples have been called to perform this at the hospital then it's okay as they would have a Bishop or a Stake Presidents permission and blessing. That makes sense then.

Called or otherwise assigned, they were authorized.

But as a hypothetical situation as in Maya's case at times. They get a lot of snow that sometimes has them snowed in and unable to leave their home. Would her husband not be able to bless the Sacrament in the confines of their home in a condition such as this? This is more of a real situation than being stranded on some desert island.

I'm relying on you Priesthood holders here. lol Since I don't hold the Priesthood, I don't know all the answers to questions such as this.

Her husband would need to make arrangements with his bishop to be authorized to administer the Sacrament.

I think some of the confusion may come because we often think of the Sacrament as a very routine thing, and we see the 16-year-old boys doing it, so what's the big deal? The sacrament is an ordinance. You wouldn't baptize someone without authorization from the bishop (or mission president...whoever may happen to have authority in your area at a given time), would you? Or ordain someone to the Priesthood? The sacrament is no different. As JAG clarified, it's not a matter of power or authority, but rather of keys to exercise such.

I hope I am not beeing a pain in.... but my son IS one of the 2-3 17-18 year olds taking a turn to bless the sacrament in Church.... we all were sick so thsi question jut came in my mind as I missed the sacrament. I understand that IF I had thought of it a bit before we could have talked to bishop and maybe could have been allowed to do that.

So that led me to think what if there is a really big catastrophy and you have no possibility to ask your bishop and like here some people have tens of miles to the church... I suppose ons can use common snece... although sometimes I doubt that....

Would you be denied the possibility to bless the sacrament if you dont know how to contact the bishop, any bishop or Church leader. Arent fex all high priests then leades if there is no higher priesthood available? (My DH is a high priest)

This is also a thing to know in case of crises, who leads if there is no leaders around to lead.

Moksahhahahah ... use a snowscoter :P

Elgama.... you are killing me of laughter! They dont have the laugh button so I gave you thumbs up.

I doubt when any of the men of WWII broke bread that they claimed tasted like sawdust and used their canteen water for the sacrament were worried about a Bishop being around especially being that there was only a handful of men (LDS) and being in combat territory.

I'm sure they were much more concerned with renewing their covenants.

I don't have my handbook with me, But I'm pretty sure the Bishop must approve priesthood holders blessing the sacrament outside sacrament meeting. I know In my ward we take the sacrament to members who are ill or cannot come to church for health reasons every Sunday. And we had to get approval from our current bishop to do so.

I doubt when any of the men of WWII broke bread that they claimed tasted like sawdust and used their canteen water for the sacrament were worried about a Bishop being around especially being that there was only a handful of men (LDS) and being in combat territory.

I'm sure they were much more concerned with renewing their covenants.

The story to which you allude mentions, during the course of that sacrament service, the use of certain materials that the soldier had been provided by his bishop; so authority from one holding the proper keys is implied. (Hemidakota or someone else with military experience can probably flesh out current Church policy here).

If the important thing is "renewing one's covenants" in one's own mind, why couldn't an isolated LDS soldier just attend a Catholic Eucharist and call it good?

This is also a thing to know in case of crises, who leads if there is no leaders around to lead.

Would you call the Great Apostasy (and its aftermath) a "time of crisis"?

Any worthy Melchezidek or Aaronic holder can bless and pass the sacrament. The ideal place is in Sacrament under the supervision of the Bishop or his counselors, if he isn't present. If a person is unable to attend Sacrament meeting the Aaronic Priesthood, with their leader can bring the Sacrament to the person's home, usually the Bishop is asked if this is ok.

There are circumstances in our world today when its not possible to make it to Sacrament Meeting or the Bishop isn't available. One situation that comes to mind is LDS Military. They gather as a group and bless/pass the Sacrament to each other. This is perfectly appropriate.

so to the OP: If you can not possibly make it to church. Try to get the Bishop's approval. If the phone lines are down and you can't reach the bishop, its ok for a priesthood holder to handle this ordinance at home. BTW, Its the Aaronic Priesthood who blesses it...the Melchezidek who supervise unless there isn't Aaronic Priesthood present.

I don't understand why there is so much confusion on this issue

The story to which you allude

Would you call the Great Apostasy (and its aftermath) a "time of crisis"?

I have some funny ideas on this ... I have a feeling that on the level of a usual priesthood the prisethood may ahve continued when given from father to son for guite s few years after the Church leaders had apostisised. IF the father had the keys to give the priesthood, but that stopped prety soon too as those with the keys to give it died ... as probably they could not after a while give the keys on.

In some wards they give crackers without meal as some cant eat meal. They use kind of popped corn crackers for those with intolerances.

Maybe because some of us dont know that much of teh priethoods things. At least I dont. And a common sence is not always in the church as a common sence would be to one or an other. :eek:

Any worthy Melchezidek or Aaronic holder can bless and pass the sacrament. The ideal place is in Sacrament under the supervision of the Bishop or his counselors, if he isn't present. If a person is unable to attend Sacrament meeting the Aaronic Priesthood, with their leader can bring the Sacrament to the person's home, usually the Bishop is asked if this is ok.

There are circumstances in our world today when its not possible to make it to Sacrament Meeting or the Bishop isn't available. One situation that comes to mind is LDS Military. They gather as a group and bless/pass the Sacrament to each other. This is perfectly appropriate.

so to the OP: If you can not possibly make it to church. Try to get the Bishop's approval. If the phone lines are down and you can't reach the bishop, its ok for a priesthood holder to handle this ordinance at home. BTW, Its the Aaronic Priesthood who blesses it...the Melchezidek who supervise unless there isn't Aaronic Priesthood present.

Because the administration of saving ordinances require the authorization of those with keys over the particular ordinances. In the case of Sacrament, it is the Bishop, Branch President, Stake President, District President, Mission President, or others who have been designated as representatives of the priesthood leader with keys, over the family or individual in isolated areas.

All references to the administration of this ordinance seem to concur, that they must be authorized by priesthood leaders.

Regards,

Vanhin