LDS Author Says Hello

KCGrant

Hello,

I am a new LDS author writing for Covenant. I am eager to reach out to other members of the church so that my books will fulfill a need among the LDS community. I want to know what concerns us all and what inspires us all to greater heights. Thank you!

author of "Abish: Daughter of God" published January 2010

Welcome. I am sure you will find a LOT of good stuff here around.--- And if you know someone, who might be interested in co writting a couple of dashing fiction books, let me know. Ofcourse the next Harry Potters in my head and partly on paper. All I am missing is words.... :D

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Who's "Mr. Nice Guy" by the way because I'm actually looking for a publisher to come and speak to the writing group in Bountiful that I'm president of. A few of our group have works but don't want to deal with the "big" guys. (I can understand that...) But if you're in or around the area, let me know and we can work something out.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Who's "Mr. Nice Guy" by the way because I'm actually looking for a publisher to come and speak to the writing group in Bountiful that I'm president of. A few of our group have works but don't want to deal with the "big" guys. (I can understand that...) But if you're in or around the area, let me know and we can work something out.

I live in Missouri, though I did live in Utah as part of my journey from S Calif. to here. I would not make a good public speaker, anyway.

I can understand your concern regarding the price of books. But let me give you a few ideas that may put it in perspective. The average book takes about 6-9 months to write, 1-2 months for the publisher to review and then you add on another 2-3 months of editing. Between the cover artist and possible audio version, add another month. Marketing begins 2-3 months before the actual book is released at which time its sent to the printers for actual printing. By then, approximately two dozen people have had personal contact with the production and release of the book and a substantial amount of money has been spent. The average book sells only about 5,000 copies but since the publisher, printer and booksellers want to see a profit (nevermind about the author, they've already accepted being poor) they have to figure in their take. They also understand that the buyer wants a bargain, so most books will be priced below $20. Now, kindly think about this:

How many hours does it take you to read a book? If it takes you longer than two hours, you've already entertained yourself for longer than the average movie will which usually sells for $19.95 on DVD. If it takes longer than an hour and 1/2, that's a nice meal for two at a restaurant which you probably blew $30.00 on. And don't even get me started on sporting events.

Alas, it may seem that that conglomeration of organized papers that you hold in your hand may not be worth the seventeen or eighteen dollars you spent on it, but it represents a year of someone's life and an inordinate amount of serious thought and personal dedication went into creating a story that hopefully would have some life-changing affect on its reader. How can you put a price on that?