Struggling With Something

deseretgov

Recently(two or three days ago) I had the idea, I don't know if it was inspiration or not, to write a book. I do enjoy writing and the story idea is really great. It would be something that might appeal primarily to LDS and anti-LDS people. So I think if i finished the book it would probably pay off(meaning cash). But the problem is I don't know if I should devote all that time to researching and writing a book. I'm looking at at very least if I'm very lucky about six months. Realistically it would probably take much longer.

Now the thing is that I have a lot of other things I would like to do sooner than that, in three or four months. And if the book did sell well then it could pay for those projects. But I would have to wait much longer and because of that delay might not accomplish some of them. On the other hand I'm working on some other projects that would allow me to accomplish those three to four months things. But while these projects would happen sooner they are less likely actually succeed.

So what should I do? Write the book, and while more likely to succeed it would be less likely that my three to four month oppourtunities would still be around.

Or should I...

Work on those other projects that, while less likely to succeed, would be done in time for my three to four month goals to be accomplished.

Just start writing. Get a notebook and write in it in your free time. Heck, get an iPhone or other smartphone and write it in Google Docs. You'd be surprised how many empty moments there are when you start thinking about filling them with writing.

Honestly, you'll be lucky to get a publisher, and despite the hype, self-publishing aint all it's cracked up to be.

Wingnut, it's easy to write a book that appeals to both LDS and anti-LDS.. don't make it religious at all!

Recently(two or three days ago) I had the idea, I don't know if it was inspiration or not, to write a book. I do enjoy writing and the story idea is really great. It would be something that might appeal primarily to LDS and anti-LDS people. So I think if i finished the book it would probably pay off(meaning cash). But the problem is I don't know if I should devote all that time to researching and writing a book. I'm looking at at very least if I'm very lucky about six months. Realistically it would probably take much longer.

Now the thing is that I have a lot of other things I would like to do sooner than that, in three or four months. And if the book did sell well then it could pay for those projects. But I would have to wait much longer and because of that delay might not accomplish some of them. On the other hand I'm working on some other projects that would allow me to accomplish those three to four months things. But while these projects would happen sooner they are less likely actually succeed.

So what should I do? Write the book, and while more likely to succeed it would be less likely that my three to four month oppourtunities would still be around.

Or should I...

Work on those other projects that, while less likely to succeed, would be done in time for my three to four month goals to be accomplished.

Most books do not make much in the way of money. So, my first bit of advice to you would be - don't write this book in the expectations of a big payoff. You can make a good loving writing romance if you are prolific, but most of the other genres are much harder to sell.

Secondly, it may take a fairly long time to find a publisher for your book. If it is LDS themed there are a very limited number that you can approach and if none of them are interested you may be waiting a long time for that sell.

Also, there is a learning curve for writing. If you haven't written a book before, well, it will be quite an experience for you.

If you have other projects that look promising, I would recommend working on them primarily and the book when you can.

:)