UK LDS families?

rgirl

• 1 month later...

I will be sightseeing in London in May and I am interested in visiting the London temple. Can anyone offer any tips or suggestions about how to get there? I understand I can take the train (lds.org mentions the train station to take), althought it seems a bit expensive! Also, can you walk to the temple from the train station? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a long walk from the station to the Temple most people take a Taxi.It's so long since I did that don't know how expensive that would be.

If you book a day return ticket on the train in advance(eg with the trainline) then you would get a cheaper fare.

It has beautiful grounds,Visitors Centre etc.

Story of your life, eh my friend? :)

Hahah. Too true. ;)

For the OP, though, it will be a bit expensive. What you might want to do is find out if any of the local wards are going to the temple. Then, you can probably get a ride for free!

And if you're sightseeing, you want to go on the London Eye. If it's a Saturday, hit up Covent Garden(Where all the cool Londoners go. There are shops there that you'll walk in and not be able to afford anything, plus all the touristy stuff. That's where you'll get a T-shirt.)

Or you could hop in to your way-way back machine and visit Camden, where all the punks and Goths go. Weird, quirky clothing will throw you back to 1979.

There's the V&A museum, the Natural History museum. All the touristy stuff. I'd probably recommend, if you're here only for a few days, to take the Double Decker Bus tours.

• 1 month later...
Guest mormonmusic

I was wondering if anyone has been to the Lake District. I saw it in a number of Sherlock Holmes movies (I'm a big Sherlockian fan) -- that's one place I always wanted to go.

Funkytown -- have you ever been to the Ontario north (Muskoka -- where all the beautifal lakes and rock formations are? And is the Lake District like that?

I've never been, sorry to say. That's at opposite ends of the country from where I am. Granted, that's only 5-6 hours away, but it hasn't been something I've ever even heard of prior to you mentioning it to me. ;)

Right now, I'm living down near another major park: Virginia Water. Gorgeous place. I highly recommend looking it up!

I was wondering if anyone has been to the Lake District. I saw it in a number of Sherlock Holmes movies (I'm a big Sherlockian fan) -- that's one place I always wanted to go.

Funkytown -- have you ever been to the Ontario north (Muskoka -- where all the beautifal lakes and rock formations are? And is the Lake District like that?

Lake District is beautiful, scenery in the UK is less dramatic than in the US though, I haven't been in 10 years but we used to go a lot when I lived in North of England