Would you, could you? Multiple wives and husbands.....

I believe D&C 132 contains false doctrine.

Hmmmm, I'd be careful calling modern revelations false doctrine myself. Thats pretty dangerous ground.

I absolutely agree. If anyone thinks that there is false doctrine in D&C 132, it's because they're reading what they want, not what it says. That section talks about polygamy, and it talks about the new and everlasting covenant, and those two certainly do the tango, but they are not one and the same.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of members would reject it and would logically conclude that the prophet was no longer acting 'prophetic'.

We've also been taught that God will not allow the prophet to lead us astray. If I doubted the prophet, I would look for signs that he was soon to be replaced, in one way or another.

No. Not unless it was a command. Even then, I might prefer to wait for an angel of God to appear with a drawn sword.

Then again... is the fair lady rich? :P

(My wife says she could use another wife around the house to get things done.)

In all seriousness, neither of us have a problem with the principle of plurality of wives, in theory. The challenge would be in living it, without a great degree of selfless love.

Not at first and only if my wife was truly okay with having a sister-wife. I would not jump at the chance so to speak. I do think that once a woman was accustomed to it.. it would be fairly nice. Half the house work, half the responsibility, double the free time.. and you always have a sister to lean on even when the husband is away with work.

Speaking as a single mom for wow 8 years I have to agree with you, bmy. The problem would be getting use to the husband being intimate with another woman.

We've also been taught that God will not allow the prophet to lead us astray. If I doubted the prophet, I would look for signs that he was soon to be replaced, in one way or another.

Personally, if I doubted the prophet, my first look would be to myself. I would try to obtain a witness of what he was saying was true. I would also be looking to his counselors and 12 Apostles--if they are in agreement, then the problem lies with me, not the prophet.

Personally, if I doubted the prophet, my first look would be to myself. I would try to obtain a witness of what he was saying was true. I would also be looking to his counselors and 12 Apostles--if they are in agreement, then the problem lies with me, not the prophet.

Oh, I absolutely agree that the first place to turn would be inward. I think it's also worth keeping in mind, though, that the Lord won't allow the prophet to lead us astray. I believe that if the prophet were to attempt to, that the Lord would either "strike him down" (if you will) or would speed up a natural death, either way replacing him with another.

It's a setup. Be ready for Joseph Smith, polyandry, and 14 year old brides... again.

LOL, that's why I decided on no more reply. My poor fragile testimony!!! Wait, that's stubborn, not fragile.

I would have trouble memorizing all their names. Well... maybe if they wore name tags. :lol:

LOL I still get my husband and my 'other' husband mixed up after 7 years started calling my husband by our surname as it begins with same letter as my bestfriends name its easier to change..

My husband sometimes calls me Arleen, who is his sister. I love it when it happens because I get to laugh maniacally and he actually gets flustered for once.

You know, polygamy would be a lot easier on me, the obvious head wife, if he just didn't have sex with anyone else, but they still helped with the cleaning. Maybe what I need is not polygamy but a maid.

My husband sometimes calls me Arleen, who is his sister. I love it when it happens because I get to laugh maniacally and he actually gets flustered for once.

You know, polygamy would be a lot easier on me, the obvious head wife, if he just didn't have sex with anyone else, but they still helped with the cleaning. Maybe what I need is not polygamy but a maid.

LOL have to confess I used to say that we needed a wife number 2, I'd take the bedroom she could have the kitchen:)

Something Vanhin said sparked a question within me....

If the Church came out today and officially sanctioned plural marriage in any form (polygamy - either polygyny or polyandry) again....how many of you would feel comfortable going out and taking to yourself another wife or husband....or two or three or four....?

Would you do it because it was ok? Would you hesitate anyway? Would you jump at the chance?

I know Pam will be happy with only her Shemar Moore, but what about the rest of you? :lol:

One is enough in my opinion. Although, I half think that if it were opened up my wife would consider second wife for me from her single-and-need-husband mature ladies that she knows.

But I think the real question here is why would any sane man want a second wife?

:)

I don't know. I want to say I would follow the prophet on this, but it would take a lot of pondering, praying, and fasting for me.

Polygamy is one area that I struggle with in accepting. I have a difficult time imagining being intimate (and I'm not just referring sexually) to more than one man and it would bother me greatly to know my husband is being intimate with another woman. My current thoughts are that I don't need to worry about it because it is not a requirement for me. If it ever does become one, I'm relying on the Lord to prepare me to accept it.

One of the ward missionaries that taught my family was an older gentleman from Germany. He was on his third wife. The first two had passed away. The interesting part of this for me was that the third wife talked about how wonderful it would be to reunited with the other two wives. Apparently, all of them were good friends in their hometown in Germany and at least the last one thought the idea of having best friends be your sister wives had its advantages.

:)

Absolutely not. One wife is plenty, besides if polygamy came back my wife would leave the Church in a heartbeat and she would leave me if I tried to practice it. I think if the Church did this it would be the end of the LDS church as we know it. Older generations may have been open to the idea of polygamy, but I have never spoken to anybody my age or younger who is open to the idea.

It would have a purifying effect on the Church, getting rid of those not willing to "bear all things" for the gospel

The qualifier would be, do you believe the Prophet and Apostles speak Gods will or not?

I think I could do it and with reluictance I think my current wife would go along.

Yes, I would do it. My wife would probably struggle with it but she would probably accept it.

The church would have to start a pretty big plural marriage campaign. Meaning putting plural marriage back in all the manuals and stuff. Educating members on just what Plural Marriage is. We've spent so many years trying to excise Plural Marriage from our image. Not to mention it would probably first have to be legalized in the United States first. Another midway step could be allowing plural marriage in countries where it is already legal. Or permitting new converts from those nations to keep their multiple wives.

I haven't read most of the posts, sorry. Just want to clarify - now, when you're saying the Prophets is going to allow plural marriages... does it really mean you HAVE to? Because, I'm saying, if the prophets allow plural marriages, my husband would probably remain with just one unless he HAS to.

I haven't read most of the posts, sorry. Just want to clarify - now, when you're saying the Prophets is going to allow plural marriages... does it really mean you HAVE to? Because, I'm saying, if the prophets allow plural marriages, my husband would probably remain with just one unless he HAS to.

Yeah, there's a big difference between plural marriage simply being allowed, and plural marriage being commanded. In the former, I would not do it. But if God commanded me? That's another thing entirely.