Animal Sacrifice-Would you participate?

TruthSeekerToo

This is sort of a spin off from the polygamy thread.

Joseph Smith once made the comment that animal sacrifice was a right of the priesthood and it was error to think that Christ's death had completely done away with it. It would be reinstated. Here is a link to a talk given by him where he talks about animal sacrifice being reinstated when the temple is complete.

So, if animal sacrifice was brought back and practiced in the temple. How many would go to a session? How many priesthood holders would do their duty by slaughtering a lamb or some other animal on an alter? Blood sprinkling and fat burning and all that jazz?

I'm also curious, do you think it will be reinstated or was JS mistaken?

JS is not mistaken. The temple in Jerusalem will be rebuilt, and the sons of Levi will be authorized to once again offer sacrifices unto the Lord. these are the words John the Baptist used when he conferred the priesthood of Aaron on Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery.

“Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness.” (D&C 13.)

I don't think many of us will participate at all, unless we are Levites.

Regards,

Vanhin

It may have been Brigham Young who was confused. There is some indication that he believed that the LDS temple would be a place for animal sacrifice.

"The introduction of such sacrifice was suggested by Brigham Young in preliminary remarks on the design for the Salt Lake Temple. However, Brigham Young died before any serious plans for the interior layout of the temple were developed. No such facility was built into the temple. Smith's remarks have some special weight since this sermon was contemplated and written before-hand."

In reading D&C 84, it seems that WE are the sons of Moses and Aaron. And the acceptable sacrifice is to happen in the temple at New Jerusalem.

31 Therefore, as I said concerning the sons of Moses—for the sons of Moses and also the sons of Aaron shall offer an acceptable offering and sacrifice in the house of the Lord, which house shall be built unto the Lord in this generation, upon the consecrated spot as I have appointed—

32 And the sons of Moses and of Aaron shall be filled with the glory of the Lord, upon Mount Zion in the Lord’s house, whose sons are ye; and also many whom I have called and sent forth to build up my church.

Edited by TruthSeekerToo

Yet, according to Joseph Fielding Smith (or was it F? I can never remember and I'm too lazy to look it up right now), very few of us will have the opportunity given to us to participate in animal sacrifices. They were to be reinstated at the temple in Far West where the sons of Aaron would make the offering to reclaim their position in the Priesthood. This would complete another part of the restoration of all things, and it would then be permanently discontinued. (See Doctrines of Salvation)

Yet, according to Joseph Fielding Smith (or was it F? I can never remember and I'm too lazy to look it up right now), very few of us will have the opportunity given to us to participate in animal sacrifices. They were to be reinstated at the temple in Far West where the sons of Aaron would make the offering to reclaim their position in the Priesthood. This would complete another part of the restoration of all things, and it would then be permanently discontinued. (See Doctrines of Salvation)

I did find that quote on fairlds. Basically, what you said. Would be reinstated for a finite amount of time and then discontinued. All quotes I've read seem to indicate it was OUR priesthood holders that would participate. D&C seems to indicate that, too, IMO.

The whole idea of animal sacrifice seems like something that would be part of a primitive culture. Bringing in an animal for the priests to barbecue might be good from a gastronomic point of view, but hardly the thing most modern humans would view as a valid form of worship.

Let's not try to reinstate the Old Testament times over the covenant of Jesus.

I have been under the impression that now and all future offering will be of our time, talent and resources and that the offering of animal or Old Testiment offerings were done when the Lamb of God, the ultimate sacrifice, was given on the cross. I think the "giving" of all we have and all that we may have to the building up of the Kingdon of God is the sacrifice we give now.

I haven't seen anything that states animal sacrifice, have you?

I would gladly participate in animal sacrifices, but only if I could do it over a George Foreman grill. :)

Anyway, while these statements may very well be doctrinal, I think there is a reason they are so little known. They are the bulk of gospel meat that many may not be ready to digest, just as many aren't ready to digest polygamy. With relation to this particularly, I don't even know if I am ready to digest it right now, but no matter.

As with the polygamy thread I see no issue. If the Lord commands it, it must be done, or I must be condemned. The extent of my hesitation would be as much time as necessary on my knees gaining a conviction that this was the will of God. Which, if it was his will for me, I don't think I would spend much time on my knees.

I haven't seen anything that states animal sacrifice, have you?

Well, yes.

This is found on fairlds.org, History of the Church 4:211 and the article linked in the OP:

It will be necessary here to make a few observations on the doctrine set forth in the above quotation, and it is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice [i.e., the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus] was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in future: but those who assert this are certainly not acquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the priesthood, or with the Prophets….

These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the [p.212] powers of the Melchisedic Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the holy Prophets be brought to pass? It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the Prophets; but those things which existed prior to Moses' day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued.

I also remember learning about the concept in church-probably from seminary on up.

Let's just say I hope I don't have to do it - I am a real chicken when it comes to killing anything - if it were to come in I could always excuse myself as I am not a Priesthood holder LOL-

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them? LOL :lol:

Let's just say I hope I don't have to do it - I am a real chicken when it comes to killing anything - if it were to come in I could always excuse myself as I am not a Priesthood holder LOL-

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them? LOL :lol:

Yes.

Judges 15:14 And when he came unto Lehi, the Philistines

shouted against him: and the Spirit of the LORD came mightily

upon him, and the cords that were upon his arms became as flax

that was burnt with fire, and his bands loosed from off his

hands.

Judges 15:15 And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put

forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.

Judges 15:16 And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps

upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.

:D

Then again, at one point, I believe the Church did own the largest cattle ranch in the US.

It does still, I think.

Back to the original point: Frankly, the fact that we ask and ponder questions like this only show how sheltered we are (I include myself in this). Killing and butchering animals was a routine part of life in our own society up until a generation or two ago; and in many societies it still is. Similarly, while we for the most part can't fathom living in polygamy, countless families have made it work (and, in other cultures, continue to do so).

It's dangerous to equate God's sensibilities and values with those of 21st-century (sub)urban Americans.

Any of you who have seen the movie City of Angels will recall at the start of the movie Seth the angel asks the dying girl "what she liked best" [about earth life] and she sweetly whispers "pajamas".

Well, if Seth asks me that when I die an amazingly heroic death in some ball of blazing glory Im going to say it was a toss up between "the perfect steak" and pretty girls laughing at my dumb jokes. ^_^

The point to this post is Yes I could sacrifice an animal if it was authorized by the church. And then I'd have a BBQ !! :D

The whole idea of animal sacrifice seems like something that would be part of a primitive culture...

Animal sacrifice was instituted in the days of Adam (Moses 5:5) and preceded the time of the Old Testament (excluding Genesis :D).

Let's not try to reinstate the Old Testament times over the covenant of Jesus.

Christ's sacrifice fulfilled the ends of the Mosaic Law- while the law of Moses required animal sacrifice, it wasn't unique to Moses' law. There are some things we find in the Old Testament that are still required of us- such as tithing- so I don't think a reinstatement of animal sacrifice would be a denigration of Christ's sacrifice or covenant.

And a thought about the "sons of Levi"- I always assumed it would be the literal descendants of Aaron that would offer said sacrifice. It seems that that final animal sacrifice will somehow answer the ends of the Aaronic Priesthood, after which it will be taken from the Earth and only the Melchezidek would remain.

Wait.....you don't want us ugly girls laughing at your jokes??:D

(just teasing you there, wisc)

Its ok its my fault for not being more clear. I should have defined "pretty girl" as "any female of the human species willing to actually hear out my lame jokes all the way to the punch lines" Instead I wrote "pretty girls" in a way that seemed to indicated that I divide girls into groups of pretty and non-pretty. This is not the case. They're all pretty!

some are just prettier than others ^_^