Church publicity

bytebear

So, this Christmas we visited relatives in Minnesota. One day we visited the Mall of America. At the entrance there was a big board filled with fliers advertising the various churches in the area. They had every church you could imagine... except LDS. So what gives? Is it up to the local leaders to coordinate such things? Is it the mission president? Or the local missionaries? I just hate to see such an opportunity lost.

Closer to home, if you go to Catalina Island just off the coast of Southern California, they have a sign listing all the churches on the island, and I am happy to say that just a few years ago, a branch was formed on the island, and the LDS church is listed among the various denominations. Yay!

When groups of churches get together to do things like run advertising campaigns, we're usually not involved. Some of that is probably due to the churches worried about us not being Christian enough, but I'm thinking most of it is because wards and stakes don't have (or need) advertising budgets. We have missionaries, you tube channels, and maybe church HQ runs ads in various places at various times.

It's ironic though that such things occur.

For instance during my mission in San Diego, I flipped through the white pages and just out of curiostiy I looked up the LDS listing.

*It took up almost an entire page in the phone book*

the next longest listing I could find for any church was the catholic church, and it wasn't that close either.

On one hand it would be nice to be included in such advertisings, so it could be known that we really are part of the community. On the other hand, the world does have a habit of rejecting us at any turn possible, so I don't really worry about it.

The way I see it, if the Christian community chooses not to include us in their 'clique', it's their loss. Think of all the advantages they're giving up by passing on our capacity for outreach and advertising in our own right. As far as I'm concerned they're shooting themselves in the collective foot just for spite.

maybe one day they'll change their position, but until then, we'll get along fine as it is.