Which book to read first?

Guest Tungsten

I hate to swim against the tide, but I would start with the Bible. The BoM is another testament of Jesus Christ.

The Bible, in my opinion, is the foundation of the scriptures for all of us, including other faiths. It's timeline precedes the BoM. It would and should take priority.

We are counseled to study the Book of Mormon daily, so if you are only going to read one book of Scripture I recommend that. If you mean in addition to that, I certainly recommend at least reading the New Testament. The Old Testament can be a bit of a chore in places but I feel it is also worthwhile, if nothing else it helps with the Isaiah chapters in the Book of Mormon.

If you're just beginning to feel the fire, the Bible is a tough read - long and slow and frightfully boring at parts.

The Book of Mormon starts fast, is high paced, somewhat less confusing, and more doctrinally relevant on a page-per-page basis. If you start at the beginning of the Book of Mormon, ready yourself for those Isaiah chapters not too far in, or (like so many before) you risk losing your rhythm.

Book of Mormon compared to the Bible is so much easier to read. It's down right exciting and easy to follow while the Old Testament is wonderful but can be tedious at times. I really like the idea of studying the Bible while reading the Book of Mormon.

Guest Tungsten

Posted Image oh now I'm indecisive...

I hate to swim against the tide, but I would start with the Bible. The BoM is another testament of Jesus Christ.

The Bible, in my opinion, is the foundation of the scriptures for all of us, including other faiths. It's timeline precedes the BoM. It would and should take priority.

What you said makes sense mrmarklin, I think I'll read the bible first then. I'm a pretty good reader! :lol:

thanks for all the suggestions guys

While I still might recommend the BofM to a beginner, I think this point is valid. Where would we be on the whole Atonement anyway without the record of the NT? And where would the NT be without the Israelite history that preceeded it?

All the books are important as they work together to help us understand. But one can only get to that understanding so fast.

I finally have interest in reading the scriptures, but what do i read first, the Book of Mormon or the Bible? :unsure:

I would start with the book of mormon, and here is why- It's entirety is dedicated in teaching spiritual things, and also to do so in a straightforward simple manner. While there are places in the bible that are like that, not all of the bible is that way... and some parts in the bible are confusing...

I also suggest using all of them together- if you have the LDS version of the bible, there are many cross references which are generally very enlightening when you go through them while you read thru the books.

If you do start with the Bible...or, whenever you get to the Bible...I'd suggest you start with these:

Gospel of Mark: It's the short newspaper-style version of Jesus' life, with a focus on events.

Acts: It's the very active story of the early church's formation.

Genesis: One book covers centuries, and gives you most of the stories you would have learned in any Christian Sunday School class. I'd guess the stories get told in Primary too, though, not being a member, I cannot verify that. Blessings on your readings.

If you do start with the Bible...or, whenever you get to the Bible...I'd suggest you start with these:

Gospel of Mark: It's the short newspaper-style version of Jesus' life, with a focus on events.

Acts: It's the very active story of the early church's formation.

Genesis: One book covers centuries, and gives you most of the stories you would have learned in any Christian Sunday School class. I'd guess the stories get told in Primary too, though, not being a member, I cannot verify that. Blessings on your readings.

Actually I suggest the Book of "John".

It is more appropriate for the "Church" age

rather then the transition period.

Actually I suggest the Book of "John".

It is more appropriate for the "Church" age

rather then the transition period.

I think Isaiah is an awfully powerful selection as well...... has nuthin ta do with the "Church" age or the transition, but it does have to do with all of the house of Israel as Christ taught in 3rd Nephi.....:D

If you want to understand the NT, BOM, or even D&C, you need to understand the OT. Jesus was a marginal Jew, after all, and it helps to understand Judaism before understanding what came out of Judaism. You might want to study Judaism itself for a while to get an idea of how the OT affected the people that lived in Jesus' day. Modern Judaism is an outgrowth of the Pharisee movement, so you need to perform some historical regression from modern times back to the OT, but it is extremely interesting. It will take a while, but you will probably get more out of the NT and BOM in the long run.

Read em both together..........

Read 'em all together:)

An evening with the Scriptures and every time you can.

Read a Chapter and then go to the next in the list and read a chapter then move on to the next.

Continue on to the last in the list.

End of session.

Nest session, start with the next Chapter:p

Fun:D

First Chap. Book of Moses - Contine on to the end and start over.

First Chap. of Abraham and continue on and then start over.

Seventh Chapter of Gen. Continuing on through Judges and start over.

First Chap. of Ezra - Continue on through the rest of the prophets and start over.

First Chap. of Psalms - continue on through Proverbs and start over.

First Chapter of Matthew. - Continue on through the rest of the Gospels and then start over.

First Chap. of Acts and continue to end and start over.

First Chap. of Romans - Continue on through the rest of the letters then start over.

First chap. of Isaiah continue on to end and then start over.

First Chap. of Revelations and continue to end and start over.

First Chap of the BoM Continue on to the end and start over.

First sec. D&C Continue on to the end and start over.

Before long you will see things that you never imagined:)

I have read all the standard works cover to cover. For me there is not much of a comparison. What was it Joseph Smith said concerning this book. I have never been closer to God then when I take the time to read this amazing book. Ever since I decided to read at least half an hour daily in this book, of which has been about 4 years now, well, I just don't have the words. It's amazing that it took so long for me to take this time everyday to read scripture. On many occasions over an hour will go by before ending my reading time. I now fully understand what is being said when I hear this book is priceless.