Split custody in the Celestial-Terrestrial-Telestial?

CornMuffinsMama

Okay, so DH and I were having a discussion about being sealed to multiple spouses and I had some questions that he wasn't sure the answers to. Like, if your spouse dies. If I die, DH can get sealed for time and all eternity to another wife. However, if he dies I can only get sealed to a husband for time and eternity. So, what happens in the after life if I have children with another husband and they are sealed to us? Who do the children live with? Do they split their time between their families, like spiritual split custody? Would both families live together? Would the kids live only with one? What about eternal families?

Okay, so DH and I were having a discussion about being sealed to multiple spouses and I had some questions that he wasn't sure the answers to. Like, if your spouse dies. If I die, DH can get sealed for time and all eternity to another wife. However, if he dies I can only get sealed to a husband for time and eternity. So, what happens in the after life if I have children with another husband and they are sealed to us? Who do the children live with? Do they split their time between their families, like spiritual split custody? Would both families live together? Would the kids live only with one? What about eternal families?

no idea. probably would be up to them.

While they will always be your children, they will one day become adults and will no longer need your custody.

They won't always be "children" in need of care. They'll probably be off living on their own.

Okay, so who do the offspring live with? The point of eternal families/sealing is, in my understanding, for families to be together forever... how can that happen under these circumstances?

If your husband dies, you cannot be sealed to another man.

Not for eternity but I was told you can be for time. And if you can't be sealed to a man the question is who do the children get sealed to? Who do they live with forever?

Okay, so who do the offspring live with? The point of eternal families/sealing is, in my understanding, for families to be together forever... how can that happen under these circumstances?

Your children will live with their spouses. They will create worlds with their own spouses. They will not live in your proverbial house forever.

Not for eternity but I was told you can be for time. And if you can't be sealed to a man the question is who do the children get sealed to? Who do they live with forever?

You can marry again if your husband dies, but it would be a civil ceremony only. The sealing ordinance by definition is for time and eternity. If you remarry after your husband's death, it will not be in the temple.

Again, the children will be sealed to their own spouses.

This is all assuming that we'll be living nuclear-family type living arragements in Heaven. I don't think it'll be that way. Just like no longer living under my parents' roof here on Earth doesn't make me any less their daughter, I think we'll always have that "family tie" in the hereafter, and we'll also have a "family tie" with everyone else who is there that is bound through the Sealing Power. We will ALL belong to Christ, and be HIS family.

Our own parents don't live with our grandparents do they but they are still their children? This is how eternal sealings are. The relationship is eternal but your children will not be living in your home. They will have their own. They may well have children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of their own and be sealed to them too.

The confusion starts here:

If I die, DH can get sealed for time and all eternity to another wife. However, if he dies I can only get sealed to a husband for time and eternity.

You said the same thing twice, but meant to say that the wife can only be married for time. This is what Wingnut picked upon.

Wingnut said this:

You can marry again if your husband dies, but it would be a civil ceremony only. The sealing ordinance by definition is for time and eternity. If you remarry after your husband's death, it will not be in the temple.

Unless things have changed, this is not entirely true. My uncle was sealed to my aunt in the temple, and after she died, he married her sister, another aunt whose husband had died and she was sealed to, in the temple. But they were not sealed, only married for time, in the temple. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. Or at least has in the past.

Unless things have changed, this is not entirely true. My uncle was sealed to my aunt in the temple, and after she died, he married her sister, another aunt whose husband had died and she was sealed to, in the temple. But they were not sealed, only married for time, in the temple. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. Or at least has in the past.

I wasn't aware that civil ceremonies can be (or have been) conducted in the temple.

The OP's statement was still confusing: "time and all eternity" vs. "time and eternity."

Hidden

If I die, DH can get sealed for time and all eternity to another wife. However, if he dies I can only get sealed to a husband for time and eternity.

I don't really understand what your point is here. The only difference in the 2 statements is the word "all" is missing from the 2nd one.

What exactly do you mean?

Do you mean he can get sealed to another but you can't?

I kind've understood that any children the mom had, after the husband she was sealed to died, would belong to the sealed husband....like, raising up seed for him or something like that.

This is correct. A husband who has married a wife for this life only after her eternal husband dies, according to scripture, is raising up seed unto the deceased.

In the Old Testament times, it was the obligation of the surviving brother to raise up seed for his deceased brother by taking his widow as an additional wife. Under the Law of Moses, the offspring of that marriage were the children of the deceased for all intents and purposes. So if there was land or property to be passed on by the deceased, it went to the children of that union. So they were legally the children of the deceased first husband.

The important thing to remember: While parent/child relationships are eternally significant, the really important union is the husband and wife. If everyone involved achieves exaltation and eternal life, will it really be THAT important who gets "custody"? All parties involved will probably be a bit too preoccupied with creating things for it to matter all that much.

And where there is doubt or uncertainty, I think we can trust that God will sort things out in everyone's satisfaction.

Edited by Faded

As I understand it the purpose of eternal families are the blessings that come of being sealed or born in the covenant. Not to live together, be owned by, etc. Purpose of sealing power is the blessing that comes from such sealing.

I agree with those who posted earlier that is is not about living together but being connected as an eternal family. I have four grown children. In this life they are still my children. In the eternity they too will have been my children and will be entitled to blessings that come through my faithful living and obedience to my temple covenants.

Ben Raines

Well according to D&C 132 in special circumstances women can be sealed to more than one husband. Joseph Smith was sealed to women who were already sealed to one husband.

Currently women are not usually sealed to another spouse after the first dies. But it is part of the New and Everlasting Covenant that women may be sealed tomore than one husband.

Anyway, children will be living with their spouse(s). They wont be living with their parents. Children will be having their own spirit children in their own universe. They will be working to bring about the immortality and eternal life of their spirit children. So will the parents. The parents of the children will be in their own universe having their own spirit children. They will be working to bring about the immortality and eternal life of their spirit children.

It's improtant to remember that we are all literally brothers and sisters. It's not just a title. Your children are your brothers and sisters, since we are all God's children. The titles mother, father, son, daughter, etc. are simply titles for an orgnizational hierarchy. All sealing really does is establish our place in that hierarchy.

So being sealed to children doesnt mean children will be constanly living with their parents. It just means that those brothers and sisters are established in that position the hierarchy. The children will be adults with their own responsibilities to their spirit children.

But that doesn't mean they wont be able to visit and see each other. After all in eternity so you have as much time as you need to visit with your children when they come to visit.

Well according to D&C 132 in special circumstances women can be sealed to more than one husband. Joseph Smith was sealed to women who were already sealed to one husband.

I've heard claims to that effect, but I don't know if they are true. William and Jane Law certainly accused Smith of attempting to push something similar onto them, but I don't think the story is credible, nor verifiable.

Where does section 132 say that "under special circumstances, a woman may be sealed to more than one husband"? I Must have missed that in my reading of it.

Otherwise, I'm in agreement with everything you said. Good comments.

I've heard claims to that effect, but I don't know if they are true. William and Jane Law certainly accused Smith of attempting to push something similar onto them, but I don't think the story is credible, nor verifiable.

Where does section 132 say that "under special circumstances, a woman may be sealed to more than one husband"? I Must have missed that in my reading of it.

It doesn't say that exactly. Its just a my attempt at conveying the meaning of the text. I suppose a more accurate paraphrase would be that, "under special conditions..."

Doctrine and Covenants 132:41

41 And as ye have asked concerning adultery, verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man receiveth a wife in the new and everlasting covenant, and if she be with another man, and I have not appointed unto her by the holy anointing, she hath committed adultery and shall be destroyed.

This verse states that if a man recieves a wife and if she is with another man then she has committed adultery. But it includes the phrase, "and I have not appointed unto her by the holy anointing."

So a women who a married to a man and is "with" another man has committed adultery. But if the other man has been appointed unto her by the holy anointing, then she has not committed adultery.

I don't know if this means that the other man is the one who is anointed or if it is the woman who is anointed.

Otherwise, I'm in agreement with everything you said. Good comments.

Interesting. I guess the missing ingredient is an explanation of this "holy anointing" that is mentioned. In my reading of Section 132, I thought it might have related to a woman with a deceased husband. I suppose this is one of those things we'll learn more about someday.

we canott know all things God has prepared; our minds simply are incapable on comprehending how it will work out; But it does;:)