Which NewFamilySearch add-on?

JohnnyRudick

I need to download the information in my Pedigree with details.

I searched the Help center and it says I can download info for my PAF file but I need to buy a third (second?) party add-on.

I see a list of add on programs but the descriptions

are ambiguous (to me) at best.:confused:

Which program is the simplest to operate. (simple as my PAF5 software).:mellow:

I use PAF5 and work with New Family Search. I have not run into any situation where I have needed any third party add ons. Could you explain what you are trying to do and maybe that will give me a better idea of what you need.

The Church and some others have added a lot of info to my Family tree going back into the 1500's much of it very intricate and wayyyy to much for me to copy into my PAF file for my own personal copy.

It would take me forever to go back and forth tying in all that info:eek:

I looked up the question in the "Help Center" if there was any way I could download the info on my pedigree and the info embedded in the chart to update my PAF file.

It told me there was other programs I could look at to buy and gave me a link to look at some of them.

Johnny

I went to New Family Search and checked out the download process. I am not familiar with either of the programs, so I am sorry to say I can't be much help there. Usually, the process is one way for me. Which is, I search for my ancestors and when I find them I upload them for others to use. I haven't had much need to go the other way, especially since I know that there are often mistakes in the research that has previously been done.

Probably either program will be fine.

:)

I went to New Family Search and checked out the download process. I am not familiar with either of the programs, so I am sorry to say I can't be much help there. Usually, the process is one way for me. Which is, I search for my ancestors and when I find them I upload them for others to use. I haven't had much need to go the other way, especially since I know that there are often mistakes in the research that has previously been done.

Probably either program will be fine.

:)

Thank you Rainman

I know there may (will) be mistakes in there research but what some of them have is a lot more then what I have and if there be mistakes we can sort that out later.

I just want to have a personal copy for my own in my hands.

Always have been that way.

Guess it is my "Mormon" raisin':)

Tastes good;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree with the advice of downloading Get My Ancestors from Ohana software. I've used that program. In the past it didn't bring in the ordinance work. I don't know if that has changed.

The advice to only do a few generations is a good one. I tried more and it did freeze. I have enjoyed using this program in the past. Just be careful about what you download. I'd advise you to create a NEW PAF file and import the downloaded stuff there first so you can be sure of what you have before you import any of it into your personal PAF file. Much easier to go slowly than to make a big mistake and spend lots of time correcting it.

Hope you have success with it.

I've also used FamilyInsight and Roots Magic. But for what you described as wanting I think Get My Ancestors will be fine.