Sacrament Meeting Dress Code?

I tried to find the answer on the church website but could not. I've been a member for 40 years so I have the general idea. It's just that recently an elderly lady about 75 years old looked positively fabulous in a gently flowing attractive dress with a straw hat with matching ribbon.

I know I hardly ever see women wearing hats in the chapel but I was just curious.

If you know the answer or where on the official church website I could look up the Sacrament Meeting dress code in detail, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

My understanding is that generally one removes their hats in a place of Worship, at least an active Christian one. Some instances it is considered acceptable. For instance, unless I'm mistaken, Jewish practice has no issue with head coverings. They are even traditional from my understanding. But I suppose Jewish (or other) practice isn't really applicable here.

The short of it, I imagine a decent number of people would consider it inappropriate. I'm amongst them, I also remove my hat to pray. For me it demonstrates respect. But it's cultural (from my understanding), not so much doctrinal.

Edited by Dravin

I tried to find the answer on the church website but could not. I've been a member for 40 years so I have the general idea. It's just that recently an elderly lady about 75 years old looked positively fabulous in a gently flowing attractive dress with a straw hat with matching ribbon.

I know I hardly ever see women wearing hats in the chapel but I was just curious.

If you know the answer or where on the official church website I could look up the Sacrament Meeting dress code in detail, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Sounds like she takes the scriptures to heart.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

;)

I don't think you will find an official standard,

Soon after seeing the elderly sister look so charming in her dress and hat I found a similar hat. I compromised. I took it off while in the chapel for Sacrament Meeting but put it back on for Adult Gospel Doctrine and Relief Society. I did not feel awkward or out of place in those two classes (smaller hat no bigger than average hairdo). What do you think?

Regarding hat etiquette wikipedia says:

Hats

Etiquette considers it impolite for men to wear hats or other head coverings indoors. A hat may be worn in the corridors and elevator of a public building, but the hat should be removed upon entering a room. Men should always remove hats in places of worship, when sitting at a table for a formal meal, and when a national anthem is playing. These rules also apply to women if wearing unisex hats, such as baseball caps,[16] but do not apply to head coverings used due to religious beliefs, such as those worn by Sikhs and many orthodox Jewish men.

A man is not compelled to remove his hat if suffering from an illness which would cause embarrassment (e.g. a person suffering from hair loss due to cancer therapy). [17][18]

Traditionally (until the mid 1960s)[citation needed], most women considered it mandatory to wear a hat when outside of one's home, such as when in public, while visiting others, and especially in houses of worship. When following these traditional etiquette rules, a woman must remove her hat when indoors after dark, and should never wear one in her own home while hosting.[19]

I know in Canadian culture in the 19th century it was required for women to wear hats (bonnets) in public. If a woman did not, she may be taken for someone with loose morals as in a prostitute. Obviously cultural etiquette does evolve and now it is rare when a woman does where a hat. I think the wearing of hats also goes through fashion cycles, sometimes it seems more fashionable than other times.

M.

I've always thought it was fine for women to wear hats at church. Once I wore a baseball hat during a mid week activity and the bishop said "I know girls can wear hats and guys can't at church, but I don't think that applied to baseball caps."

I've seem women wear scarves and small hats at church and never gave it a second thought.

I have seen Sisters wear a hat into the Chapel, no one would ask them to remove it. I do think its rude for a guy to wear one into the chapel.

I know what you say is proper etiquette. When my son was a teenager, he did not understand why it seemed that girls are sometimes not held to the same dress standards. Men are encouraged to wear slacks, white shirt and ties. Sisters today (all ages) often wear denim dresses, jumpers & skirts. It would seem to be only fair that the Brethren could also wear denim. But, of course, it does not work that way. My son would ask why do the ladies get to wear hats when the men can not. I realize that a man would not be turned away simply for wearing, say, denim jeans and a sweater. I know it is a matter of respect to just dress the best one can.

When I first joined the church in my early twenties, I was a little put off with the official dress standards. Then I realized that I was being encouraged to dress my best, not to judge anyone else for what they were wearing.

Thank you.

Official answer: There really isn't a dress code. As long as it is modest, Church members should not complain. There's a lot of traditions that have developed, and most would say that you wear the best clothes you can in order to show your respect. But if the best you have is jeans and a T shirt, that's fine and dandy. And the "best clothes you have" rule is not official. Just tradition.

As it comes to hats ... I don't see women wearing elaborate hats pretty much anywhere these days. The American tradition (and it is again ONLY a tradition) is to take your hat off when you are inside a building out of respect. There is no underlying rule in the Church to that effect.

I know what you say is proper etiquette. When my son was a teenager, he did not understand why it seemed that girls are sometimes not held to the same dress standards. Men are encouraged to wear slacks, white shirt and ties. Sisters today (all ages) often wear denim dresses, jumpers & skirts. It would seem to be only fair that the Brethren could also wear denim. But, of course, it does not work that way. My son would ask why do the ladies get to wear hats when the men can not. I realize that a man would not be turned away simply for wearing, say, denim jeans and a sweater. I know it is a matter of respect to just dress the best one can.

When I first joined the church in my early twenties, I was a little put off with the official dress standards. Then I realized that I was being encouraged to dress my best, not to judge anyone else for what they were wearing.

My elderly mother (in her 80's) always looks quite formal at church, always wearing a hat, and gloves as well, and appears as the most charming of ladies from an era past, and is always being told how lovely she looks. Her reason for wearing the hat and gloves, though, is because she has a health condition that the fluorescent lighting aggravates. She purposely sits in the back row so her hat does not obstruct anyone's view.

As for me, I've almost always worn the standard Sunday attire that most men do (business suit, tie, white shirt, dress shoes). Presently, though, since recently outgrowing my suits, I wear my standard casual/dress attire - good jeans, shirt, sport coat, and cowboy boots, because that's the best I now have that fits. And I must say, I don't miss the tie at all. One day though, when there are again suits hanging in my closet that fit, I'll resume wearing them, even with the tie. ;)

The only problem I can see with a woman wearing a hat in church is that it may make it difficult to see around for people sitting behind it if it is a large hat. Depending on the hat, it is also possible that it could become distracting to others in the chapel during sacrament services.

thats when you go to the Material Center and get a pair of scissors and give someone a trim....:lol::eek::)

I've always understood that the removal of a hat - as a sign of respect - is a male thing only. Years ago women would wear hugely elaborate hats held on by hat-pins. (You can still see such hats at Ascot on Ladies' Day: BBC - Berkshire - Sport - Ladies Day at Ascot photos.) Imagine the trouble of taking them off every time they went inside, or met someone they wished to greet? Male headgear like bowlers, top-hats, boaters etc. tend to be much simpler and easier to take off.

Edited by Jamie123

It used to be I understand in the Catholic church that women had to wear some covering on their heads, and they even had little lace circles, and hats for women were considered totally right-- think of Jackie Kennedy, and Englands Queens and princesses even.

for church though a small hat- like pill box type was best so as not to block others views if you wore a larger type.

Scarves have for centuries been what European women would wear in public. Jewish women even wore wigs when they didn't need to -- I understand for the covering of the head thing.

In the dark ages- people didn't get to bathe enough, and had head coverings of one kind or another, even to sleep in.

I think we can figure out what is most fitting. I am rather sorry to see women wear pants to Sacrament meeting, week after week, (though they could get a nice skirt from a thrift store for under five dollars) --

still I totally believe Heavenly Father would rather they be in church in pants than not come! I'm sure not going to say or do anything to discourage their coming!

I think it gets down to-- will your clothing distract yourself or others from the spirit and meaning of the meeting? -- For this reason- I am actually not for the extra fancy Easter dresser for little girls, as then they are thinking about their dresses instead of the meeting.

I actually made sure my girls had (when needing new clothes for growth reasons) Spring dresses that they wore for the first time BEFORE Easter! :) Gramajane

My wife found this if it helps: Meridian Magazine:: Church History: Handling Life With Humor

"Just as Louise reprimanded her children gently, when the Relief Society sisters needed a little nudging, she did so with good humor and gentleness. Although General Authorities suggested that women remove their fashionably large hats during meetings, many women kept them on rather than disturb their hair or appearance.

At the beginning of one Relief Society conference, Louise announced to the congregation, “Sisters, we are going to remain seated while we sing our first song. I’m sure you have books and papers and your hats on your laps, and I’m afraid it would be hard for you to hold all of them if you stand.” There were smiles and surprises in the congregations as the embarrassed ladies quickly removed their hats."