"Have Missionaries Contact Me"

Jason_J

So I'm thinking that perhaps in a week or two, I would like to contact the missionaries to begin the discussions. I assume that the only way to do so is through the Mormon.org website, using the "Have Missionaries Contact Me" form? My only problem with this is that I am unsure of where I would be able to meet them, as I currently live with my Catholic family, and they would not really...appreciate me meeting with the missionaries in the home. So...if I put in my home address in the form, would the missionaries just show up? How does this work?

The easiest thing is to find the nearest chapel near you. Mormon.org has a form where you can find it. Then just show up for church on Sunday. You will likely be greeted by a lot of friendly people, and someone will find the local missionaries there. Most congregations (called wards) have a set of missionaries assigned to it, or several sets. From there you can set up a time and place to meet. you can meet at a members house, at a diner, or at the church, whatever works for you.

I'd go ahead and fill out the form as well. There is a place on the form for comments. Explain in the comments what you have said here. Provide a cell phone number as your contact number if you have one.

Also, if you call the church on a Sunday- any one in your town should work fine-- look in the yellow pages-- and the person answering the phone- (even in the foyer :) will probably be able to help you get the local missionaries number

and from there you can set up what you would like. I think they would easily be able to find a members home near yours-- that you could meet in too. :)

I'm happy for you to be seeking the truth! It is true- God has a prophet in our day, President Monson! Gramajane

I can't imagine a ward where there's not a member that would be willing to have the discussions in their home. I say make contact with your local ward. Find out who the Bishop or other ward leadership is. Explain your situation. They should certainly be able to not only get you in contact, but have a comfortable place to meet.

So I'm thinking that perhaps in a week or two, I would like to contact the missionaries to begin the discussions. I assume that the only way to do so is through the Mormon.org website, using the "Have Missionaries Contact Me" form? My only problem with this is that I am unsure of where I would be able to meet them, as I currently live with my Catholic family, and they would not really...appreciate me meeting with the missionaries in the home. So...if I put in my home address in the form, would the missionaries just show up? How does this work?

Hey there. I'm the same age as you and have served a mission, so maybe I could help you with a few things and answer any questions you have.

It looks like you've got the process for giving the Elders your cell number, so I'll tell you the next step as the Elders contact you.

The best thing for you would be to find a Young Single Adult ward if there is one around your area and go to church there. (If there isn't one, you can just go to the family ward that the Elders say you live in.) The Elders who call you should be able to tell you if there is one nearby, and what church building that ward meets at and when. There might be a different set of missionaries that would teach you than the ones that originally call you as a result, but I really think this route would be better for you.

In a Young Single Adult ward, people aged 18-27 (or somewhere along those lines) meet together and have church and activities together. The one I attend in California is a lot of fun and we have activities all the time. It would be best for you to attend one of these wards if you can and get to know the people your age. You'll make tons of new friends and enjoy your time there.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The best thing for you would be to find a Young Single Adult ward if there is one around your area and go to church there.

It would be best for you to attend one of these wards if you can and get to know the people your age.

While I agree that for someone starting out new, it might be an easier transition to attend a YSA ward, the Church Handbook of Instructions actually states that singles's needs are best met in a traditional ward.

While I agree that for someone starting out new, it might be an easier transition to attend a YSA ward, the Church Handbook of Instructions actually states that singles's needs are best met in a traditional ward.

To be honest, I find that very surprising, because Preach My Gospel says it's best if the people being taught are fellowshipped by people with whom they can relate. In the case of a YSA, that would imply either other YSA's or other people who used to be the same religion as them. It really depends on the needs of the person.

Even if he chose a family ward over a YSA ward, though, I would still suggest going to the YSA activities and getting to know more people his age, because there won't be as many people his age in a family ward.

To be honest, I find that very surprising, because Preach My Gospel says it's best if the people being taught are fellowshipped by people with whom they can relate. In the case of a YSA, that would imply either other YSA's or other people who used to be the same religion as them. It really depends on the needs of the person.

Even if he chose a family ward over a YSA ward, though, I would still suggest going to the YSA activities and getting to know more people his age, because there won't be as many people his age in a family ward.

Not necessarily. There are different circumstances in different areas, and with different people. I would encourage him to first attend a family ward to get a feel for how things all tie together, and then later if he feels he would be more comfortable in a ward full of singles near his age he can opt to do that. Personally, when I was a YSA, I preferred the family wards. I found many my age who did not attend the YSA ward because they enjoyed the associations with real people you make in the family wards. YSAs are generally more flighty people, from my experience, and family wards are more stable.

Jason,

so glad that you are willing to contact the missonaries. I would start by going to the chaple. Depending on where you live there may be missionaries in the ward. Here in Utah they are not there alot.

As for where to take the classes. I was in the same situation. sorta. kinda. Southern Baptist.

What happened is I was lucky enough to have a family invite me in to take the lessons at thier house. Or we did the lessons in the ward building. If you have any questions just shoot me a message Jason. I will be happy to answer them. also you may want to try this link Chat Live

That is for an ACTUAL missionary that is at the MTC to answer questions.

Hopefully all your questions will be answered

There are more things that tie people together and create common experiences than former (or current) religion or age brackets.

I served a mission in Utah from '06 to '08, so I am very aware of that. I just pointed those ones out because they're around the top of the list in PMG, with the first priority being having fellowshippers who used to belong to the same religion.