City of Zion Temple

deseretgov

In Joseph Smith's plan for the City of Zioin there were to be twenty-four temples each identical in design. Some basic information as to the design of these temples was given on the Plat of Zion. This inlcuded a layout of the city as well as description of the temples. The was later updated with a second Plat of Zion. The city's size and shape were revised. Also some elements of the temples were revised.

Here's I've tried to come up with an illustration of what the temples in the City of Zion would look like. I've used all the information I have available about the revised design of the temples. Some information is not available so I added my own design elements. This is what some believe was supposed to happen. Joseph Smith gave the basic layout for the temples and it was up to the builders to fill in the details.

Anyway here is my almost completed drawing:

Posted Image

My improvized part is the steps going up to the doors. They need a little work.

I still need to add:

- The bell tower

- Door details

- Name of the Temple

- "Holiness to the Lord"

- Other details

You can see my little red guys I use for scale. I'll be removing them for the final version.

EDIT: I should add that I was inspired by John Hamer's work. He drew some of teh temple illustrations used on wikipedia. File:LDSTempleDiagram.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by deseretgov

• 3 months later...

I've changed my approach and now I'm making a 3D model and walkthrough.

Posted Image

Overall View. Still needs windows and the top half.

Posted Image

The Door. Since this is a pre-Kirtland temple I wanted to keep things simple. But since it will be a post-Nauvoo Temple I wanted to add some symbolism. There are two earth stones at the base of the door. Two star stones representing the Telestial Kingdom. A moon stone in the center representing the Terrestrial Kingdom. And a Sun Stone at the top representing the Celestial Kingdom.

Posted Image

A close up on the stones. On both sides of the sun stone there are three raised lines. These represent the the degrees of the Celestial Kingdom.

Edited by deseretgov

In Joseph Smith's plan for the City of Zioin there were to be twenty-four temples each identical in design. Some basic information as to the design of these temples was given on the Plat of Zion. This inlcuded a layout of the city as well as description of the temples. The was later updated with a second Plat of Zion. The city's size and shape were revised. Also some elements of the temples were revised.

Here's I've tried to come up with an illustration of what the temples in the City of Zion would look like. I've used all the information I have available about the revised design of the temples. Some information is not available so I added my own design elements. This is what some believe was supposed to happen. Joseph Smith gave the basic layout for the temples and it was up to the builders to fill in the details.

Anyway here is my almost completed drawing:

Posted Image

My improvized part is the steps going up to the doors. They need a little work.

I still need to add:

- The bell tower

- Door details

- Name of the Temple

- "Holiness to the Lord"

- Other details

You can see my little red guys I use for scale. I'll be removing them for the final version.

EDIT: I should add that I was inspired by John Hamer's work. He drew some of teh temple illustrations used on wikipedia. File:LDSTempleDiagram.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Apostle P.P. Pratt, who was given a vision of the city, the main building or temple where the government of the earth will preside, will sit over 10,000 priesthood holders. The city itself will when it is fully mature will be over 1000 miles across.

I would suggest to look at his other visions pertaining to the city.

Let add some personal moment I had with a young man that I interviewed couple years ago.

I had an opportunity to meet one of the sons of the church's master statue builder. This young man was seeking to get away from his surroundings, which was filled with the youth of the church [specific town in Utah] who were violating WoW. This town was located in specific town in Utah. He simply wanted to clean up his life. After a serious of interviews with this young man, he wanted a personal blessing. I had the opportunity to give this courage young man a blessing. Now what was spoken was very unique and special for him. It was stated, his talent of building statues, will be used in the preparation of temple building in the New Jerusalem. Just amazing….