organ donation

CQ2307

LDS.org - Ensign Article - I Have a Question

It states:

The Church has taken no official position on organ transplants. It seems obvious, however, that organ transplantation does not affect one’s resurrection, since the organ would soon have returned to the basic elements of the earth following death anyway. Whatever happens to an organ following death, we are promised that “every limb and joint shall be restored to its body, yea, even a hair of the head shall not be lost.” (Alma 40:23.)

I too am an organ donor, however having worked in the medical field for a while and knowing some fairly crooked doctors (not that all are, most are amazing) I would suggest one thing: In my state organ donors sign an "organ release" on the back of their drivers lisence. Don't do that. If you want to be an organ donor, then sign something and give it to your family, or even just let your family know that should something happen, that is your wish. There have been instances where things that could have saved a life were not implemented because there was a chance it wouldn't work and an organ transplant pays better anyway. I know it sounds terrible, but there are some doctors who will not go out of their way to save your life if they know off the bat that you have at least 5 healthy organs to donate. Just an FYI.

I too am an organ donor, however having worked in the medical field for a while and knowing some fairly crooked doctors (not that all are, most are amazing) I would suggest one thing: In my state organ donors sign an "organ release" on the back of their drivers lisence. Don't do that. If you want to be an organ donor, then sign something and give it to your family, or even just let your family know that should something happen, that is your wish. There have been instances where things that could have saved a life were not implemented because there was a chance it wouldn't work and an organ transplant pays better anyway. I know it sounds terrible, but there are some doctors who will not go out of their way to save your life if they know off the bat that you have at least 5 healthy organs to donate. Just an FYI.

That is precisely why i am NOT a donor. I just thought i was paranoid.

• 3 months later...

Fair Child, check out "The Body Brokers", a book on the organ donation/cadaver industry. Yikes, but no thanks on donating my body to medical school.

I have always been in favor of voluntary organ donations, and I'm a donor myself. This stance was strongly reinforced after my dad passed away unexpectedly in a traffic accident; I was glad that some of his organs were able to be passed on to others who needed them.

Plus, I encourage all who can to donate blood regularly. They even give you free snacks!

I used to be an organ donor which was said on my license.... until I learned how they do it. You have to be braindead obviously in order for them to take the organs, but you can't be completely dead or the organs won't work. Whose to say that those that were braindead couldn't feel it? No one made it out alive.

Guest mormonmusic

I wanted to be an organ donor, but my wife wouldn't let me. She said it would interfere with my daughter's music lessons if I gave away the organ. Plus she thought it looked good in our livingroom.

I used to be an organ donor which was said on my license.... until I learned how they do it. You have to be braindead obviously in order for them to take the organs, but you can't be completely dead or the organs won't work. Whose to say that those that were braindead couldn't feel it? No one made it out alive.

I would disagree with this to a degree. I personally know of a teenager that got run over by a bus in front of the school. Died on the spot. He donated several organs.

They won't take my blood because I'm on medication. I wonder if they still want my organs?

Probably, though the exact answer will depend on what kind of medications you're on. If you're ever in the position of being a donor, the donor team will evaluate your medical history to figure out if you're a suitable donor.

• 2 weeks later...

As I don't know that I am organ donor or not. But I will surely want to say you that I really like to donate my eyes as well as kidney after my death. Because the person who lives without eyes has the life without any color in their life. After giving them eyes after all they can see this beautiful and colorful world.

Edited by Joneswilliamsc