Watching the Superbowl

Choseph

Long story short, I got invited to watch the Superbowl by a co-worker. Today at temple I mentioned it to a friend and his remarks implied that I really shouldn't be watching the Superbowl on Sunday. What do people think? I was planning on going because I think the interaction would help foster some relationships that could in the future allow me to introduce people to the faith. But if it is wrong to watch the Superbowl on Sunday, I certainly don't want to do that. Yes, there will be drinking there but of course I will not be partaking. Any suggestion/advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Choseph

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how You keep the sabbath day holy. If you normally, wouldn't visit friends or watch tv (because you view it as a violation any other day) then this would fall into that category.

I myself grew up in a family where keeping the sabbath day holy was about spending time together not a list of do nots and have kept this tradition. So i will be watching it, but i was watching tv last Sunday, and i''ll watch it next (until this stupid snow melts and we can get out):mad:

Maybe he's Jewish. But that doesn't make sense because their Sabbath was Saturday. Or maybe he's not really LDS but wants us to think he is. His terminology has been wrong for an LDS person since he arrived here.

In one post he wrote that he was still investigating the church, so I was really curious about how he got a temple recommend. :P

In one post he wrote that he was still investigating the church, so I was really curious about how he got a temple recommend. :P

His profile claims he is LDS. But LDS don't say "I was at temple today...." on Sunday, mainly because church is not at the temple, but also because we say "I was at the temple today.....".

Edited by john doe

Super Bowl Sunday is a great day to see who's *really* on the Lords side!! Simply look around in Sacrament to see who's at church and then you know 'Who's on the Lords side who!'

I was planning on going.

Last I checked, it doesn't say 'Keep the sabbath day holy...unless the Super Bowl in on!' Watching the Super Bows is...or was...a *really* good way to set a *really* bad example for a LDS member....and sin at the same time...unless of course you watch it a day later!!! *hint*

All it tells them is that Mormons really don't consider the sabbath day very holy....if they even know your a member...which I hope they don't if you watched it with them!

When they asked you about watching it, the best thing you could of done was use it as a missionary tool, and explain to them about the sabbath day...instead of agreeing to join them in sin.

Sorry, I meant to say, "at the temple", not "at temple".

You must be thinking of the wrong 'temple!!' Members with temple recommends don't party and drink on Sunday, and not on any day...unless they lie when they have their temple recommend interview!!

help foster some relationships that could in the future allow me to introduce people to the faith.

And if this was the correct temple, they would already be introduced to the church, so there would be no need to use sin as an excuse to eventually introduce them in to the church. Not a member = no recommend! No recommend = can't talk to them at the temple!

Edited by Ragnar