2010 Winter Olympics

Bethie

Without giving anything away, I'll say that I'm very pleased with the outcome of the ice dancing competition. Gold and silver were 100% earned and deserved by those who won them.

And Tessa Virtue is incredibly beautiful.

But Meryl Davis sounds like a 15-year-old gymnast...a little annoying.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pam...seems that you and i...matbe a couple others, actually like curling. did you see the US beat France last night?

and watching the ladies in the downhill skiing....just incredible.

I saw part of it but then missed the ending. It seems in order to catch some of those particular events you have to watch a different channel than the NBC channel. At least that's been my experience.

Without giving anything away, I'll say that I'm very pleased with the outcome of the ice dancing competition. Gold and silver were 100% earned and deserved by those who won them.

And Tessa Virtue is incredibly beautiful.

But Meryl Davis sounds like a 15-year-old gymnast...a little annoying.

Now that it's the next day and I'm assuming that anyone who cares watched it last night, I'll talk a little more specifics. It was really neat to see two pairs who are at the Olympics for the first time take gold and silver. I thought it was also great that the four of them were training partners and best friends. They were all truly happy for each other, and they'll all probably be there again in 4 years in Sochi. When Virtue/Moir came out to get on the podium, they each hugged Davis/White, and it was very friendly and familiar, and I even saw happy tears in the eyes of one of the girls. In such an intensely competitive environment as the Olympic Games, it was heartening to see such genuine love, friendship, and happiness for another's success.

Can't wait for OOOOOOHHHHHHNO again...

I was so frustrated he made that one tiny slip - I mean, that race was HIS! I just so wanted him to beat the Koreans. Hopefully, he gets gold this time! C'mon Apolo!

it bores me too....

Lbybug, how can Ice Dancing bore you when the top couple are Canadian. And since it is the next day, they won Gold. Gold is wonderful and never boring. If you have a chance to watch the Canadian and USA ice dancers perform, please do, they were amazing. You must watch to truly appreciate. :)

M.

Lbybug, how can Ice Dancing bore you when the top couple are Canadian. And since it is the next day, they won Gold. Gold is wonderful and never boring. If you have a chance to watch the Canadian and USA ice dancers perform, please do, they were amazing. You must watch to truly appreciate. :)

M.

Still don't understand how these girls can stand on their partners' legs on their skates and not slice right through!

Also, I thought that Russian's rope-thing was lame.

I was wondering about that too. I wonder if he has to wear some padding under that costume.

M.

They said that he used to, but it just got uncomfortable and awkward and in the way of everything else, so he just deals with the bruise.

The women get onto the mens' legs very slowly and carefully -- they're not going to slice right through unless the movement is more rapid or forceful.

They said that he used to, but it just got uncomfortable and awkward and in the way of everything else, so he just deals with the bruise.

The women get onto the mens' legs very slowly and carefully -- they're not going to slice right through unless the movement is more rapid or forceful.

They showed a clip of J.R. Celski (my Filipino countryman! Okay, okay, he's only half Filipino. :) ) when he sliced his leg open with his skates at the US Nationals. It was mind-boggling! Those skates can be very very sharp. I guess the speed skaters have a much sharper blade than the figure skaters but, still, the speed skaters put their hands down on the ice in the turns just waiting for some guy's blade to run over them!

Still don't understand how these girls can stand on their partners' legs on their skates and not slice right through!

Figure skate blades (and hockey skates for that matter) are not sharpened to a point like a knife blade, per se. Rather they are a thin flat surface and the edges are sharp. So direct downward pressure wouldn't necessarily cut. Sliding the blade forward may though, as the edges are sharpened. There have been many accidents with people being seriously cut with skate blades, but they usually occur with a slicing motion and not just downward pressure.

Those short-track speed skating blades, I would imagine, have got to be sharpened more though to hold in those curves. But that's just me guessing. I don't know much at all about speed skating skates. I just can't imagine holding those turns at those speeds at those angle pitches without something pretty dang sharp.

OK after my husband assured me that there was such a thing as "Ski Ballet" in the Olympics, I decided to google it and see what it pulled up. I found some interesting vintage footage on YouTube that might put a grin on a few faces. It certainly gave me a chuckle :]

Right now I'm really into "Ski Cross". Man that's exciting! I find it much more interesting than snowboarding in fact.

I loved watching the ski jumping. It's crazy how far those guys can jump. Watching the ski racing was painful because the snow was so icy. There were many athletes that wiped out.

The Skeleton is an insane event. Going 90 miles per hour on a sled facing head first. You couldn't pay me enough to do that. It was sad that the Jamaican Team didn't make the qualifying time for the bobsled. It has been an interesting Winter Olympics so far.

Right now I'm really into "Ski Cross". Man that's exciting! I find it much more interesting than snowboarding in fact.

YEAH! I got hooked on Ski Cross too! It's like roller derby almost. LOL.

I can't wait for OHHHHHNOOO tonight!!! Love that guy!

Finland is in semifinals in icehokey :) I so wish they would winn the whole. One reason to that is, that at least all cannals over here encluding Eurosport have only mentioned Finland in bycentances... they have NO coverage of Finland like Sweden or other teams, it is like Finland would be a sceond class teem.. would serve just right if Finland would get a medal, shinier the better! :mad:

Anyway Finland dont have many medals this year at all... even skijump went as we say in the toilet...

Anyway 4th place in icehokey... like usuall, is a good placement in Olympis of today. And what is best it is higher than Sweden :P.

My daughter used to be one of the best in Finland when about 12, I had been in icehokey if they had had some for women then... The skates are not that dangerous, but you can be unlucky nbblood explained that pretty well here.

...Anyway Finland dont have many medals this year at all...

I just checked the medal count and Finland has 3 medals:

One Silver in Snowboard Men's Halfpipe and two bronze in Women's Ice Hockey and Cross-Country Skiing - Ladies 4x5km Relay Classic/Free.

Medallists : Medallists : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

M.

Apolo got robbed. No way was his contact enough to make Trembley fall, and Hamelin pushed the Korean, not Trembley. You would think that with all these Olympic officials they could find one to referee who is not from one of the countries involved in the race. Apolo knew what he was up against, but it's still not right.

Apolo got robbed. No way was his contact enough to make Trembley fall, and Hamelin pushed the Korean, not Trembley. You would think that with all these Olympic officials they could find one to referee who is not from one of the countries involved in the race. Apolo knew what he was up against, but it's still not right.

Apolo is not very well liked thru the world.....thats what happens when you are that good....:)