Ladies, Totally Non-LDS Problem-- Carpet Issues!

Melissa569

A lot of moms come in here, so I'm sure you've dealt with carpet cleaning issues, and I wanted to ask people who were more likely to have figured out a few tricks...

Ok, here's the problem-- Incredibly, this week, my husband had three "spilled drink" mishaps with the carpet next to our bed. He would put a drink on the bed-side table, and someone moving around (or the cat) would knock it over. Seriously, 3 times just this week, but never before. haha. It would spill all over the carpet, in the same spot. I would do my best to dab/dry it up, but naturally I ccouldn't get it all. By the way, no more drinks are allowed there anymore... lol.

Anyway, the carpet is still slightly damp. It looks clean, but... Now, there is this HORRIBLE smell comming from that spot! And when I say horrible, I mean horrible. Basically, its like dirty socks, and a dead animal. Bleh!!! I tried Febreeze, no luck. It would work for like an hour, then the smell would come back. If I didn't know better, I would think somebody sold that patch of carpet to the devil, lol.

Any suggestions for getting that icky smell to go away?

Edited by Melissa569

yeah, it's probably the padding. a steam cleaner might help, if not then I would try, as a very last option (and my grandfather, the carpet layer, would faint at this idea), pouring vinegar water on the spot, enough so that it will soak into the pad. Only if there is subfloor under though, because if it's over something else, it could destroy that. If those don't work, then you'll have to pull up that section and change the pad.

i like to keep the carpet cleaner that is supposed to remove stains and smells from pets on hand. i find it works just as well for little kid accidents as it does puppy accidents. i also use it on food/drink spills. i figure it's designed for organic messes so that's what i use it for.

given that you have waited till it's starting to smell like that it may not get deep enough. i would suggest any oxy based cleaner. yes i know the commercials are annoying but it does removes smells (works great for removing the smell from front loading washers too but that's a bit off topic). since it seems it may be very deep you may want to mix your own high concentration of oxy in water so it will pour deep down.

my caveat with "liquid" solutions (the problem i have because i live in a very humid area), the more wet it gets the worse it will get. the reality is if it's been wet out it just won't dry in time and though the old stuff may be eliminated the new won't dry and will mildew and you start over with a new problem.

if the surface pet stuff won't touch it not a bad idea to rent/borrow a steam cleaner (can do the rest of the carpets while you are at it). the ones they rent here is the rug doctor brand and they have a cleaner additive that removes mold/mildew smells from carpets. put something like that in when you clean. then do the dry sweeps to get as much water out as you can. if you are in a humid area or it's been raining i can't stress that one enough. i actually count the amt of times i do wet sweeps and do 2-3 times as many dry sweeps over the carpet. it's vital to get that water back out again.

good luck. and get hubby a sippy cup only a few dollars and soooo worth it. ;)

Pine Sol mixed in water. Gets out skunk oil spray permently so it should work on your smell.

Did you put towels down to absorb the liquid. It might help to put a small garbage bag on top of the towels then heavy items on that.

BTW what was spilled?

For What It Is Worth - once the pad gets wet it will need to be replaced. I know you rent, so this is not something you can just up and do. Soooo be prepared to be hit with a bill after you move out from your landlord. He is going to have to replace the padding- and that is a major job.

I satursated a nasty problem in my son's room with Febreeze. It took two days to dry but I no longer have the smell issue.

Edit: The pad was the problem. I had to get the febreeze down into the pad. But we have good subflooring, not hard wood or what not under the capet

Edited by applepansy

If you don't have a spray on carpet cleaner, I've found that the foaming sink-cleaner spray works pretty well to clean up stains to the carpet. As far as the smell goes though, I'm not so sure (I don't have a sense of smell). I do know, that my mother has one of those vaccum carpet cleaners and it is AMAZING. It's a bit much financially, but very worth it to get one. If you use it about once a month, your carpet comes out looking brand new.