Do you walk around the house in your garemnts ?

lizzy12

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a returned missionary, and I live at home. I am the 3rd of 7 kids, so my youngest brother is 7. My dad will walk around in his garments before bed and I do the same. The general guideline for exposing your garments is to not expose them to those who do not understand that they are significant to us and our religion. If you are teaching your kids that they are important, it is ok to walk around the house in them at night.

I'm surprised by the answers. Now, I'm not endowed yet, but I have friends who have told me they have never seen their parents garments. They keep them away and wash them when they have privacy. I suppose I always thought this was a "requirement" to keep them that private but I guess it's more cultural. Frankly, I can't imagine wearing them uncovered in front of my kids, anymore than I can imagine being in my worldy underwear in front of my kids. I suppose that may change once I am endowed, but it's been ingrained in my head for the 16 years since I learned of garments that I can't imagine that changing easily :D

After a few years of babies spitting up on you in the middle of the night you learn to not be so sensitive to whether they see you in your underwear or not. After a few years of getting up in the middle of the night to give a sick child medicine or changing their bedding after they vomited all over their sheets, you stop worrying about what they will think by the sight of you in your garments. You eventually get over the feeling that they might think you are dressed inappropriately and do what you have to do so you can go back to sleep in a timely manner.

Family units that have grown up together have different comfort levels of modesty in each others' presence that is not the same when they are around other people outside that unit. I do think it is inappropriate for an adult to walk around their house in garments if there are people in the home who are not a part of their intimate family unit.

If you are uncomfortable with seeing your parents in their garments, you can do a coulpe things: you can leave their presence and tell them you will wait for them to get dressed, or you can tell them that their walking around like that is making you uncomfortable. They may not change, but they will at least know why you are avoiding them when they walk around in that state of dress.

After a few years of babies spitting up on you in the middle of the night you learn to not be so sensitive to whether they see you in your underwear or not. After a few years of getting up in the middle of the night to give a sick child medicine or changing their bedding after they vomited all over their sheets, you stop worrying about what they will think by the sight of you in your garments. You eventually get over the feeling that they might think you are dressed inappropriately and do what you have to do so you can go back to sleep in a timely manner.

Family units that have grown up together have different comfort levels of modesty in each others' presence that is not the same when they are around other people outside that unit. I do think it is inappropriate for an adult to walk around their house in garments if there are people in the home who are not a part of their intimate family unit.

If you are uncomfortable with seeing your parents in their garments, you can do a coulpe things: you can leave their presence and tell them you will wait for them to get dressed, or you can tell them that their walking around like that is making you uncomfortable. They may not change, but they will at least know why you are avoiding them when they walk around in that state of dress.

AMEN!!!!! When I get awakened in the middle of the night by a hollering Corn Muffin, I'm not usually thinking "Oh my, I should go put clothes on... where did I put my _____?", I'm getting out of bed and focusing my few functioning brain cells on not tripping over pets and furniture and getting in there, figuring out what's going on, and fixing it as fast as possible. Now, I'm not endowed yet so this is me in my underwear but I will still feel the same about my garments, and DH walks around in his garments too. Between the Army and now 32 hours of labor and a large number of people I'd never seen before seeing everything I had on and what was underneath, I lost my prior sense of "Oh I must be fully clothed at all times." I'll be modest around people outside of my immediate family and when we have sons I'll be appropriately modest around them too, but for now it's me, the hubs, and a daughter who loves Mama and Daughter Bath Time anyways.