Lord Of The Dead

Snow

Just finished Tom Holland's Lord of the Dead...

Vampire tale like Anne Rice's, maybe better. The author is scholarly with lots of historical details. He has a very clever idea in that his main character and vampire is Lord Byron, the English Poet. Byron's friends - the poet Shelley and his wife Mary Shelly (author of Frankenstein), and John Polidori (author of The Vampyre).

The author has done his homework and weaves fascinating true details to a story of the undead. Take a look at this link to get a sense of the true detail Holland had to work with:

http://pluto.scs.ryerson.ca/~monica/polidori.htm

And that only part of it. In a way I liked it better than Anne Rice - without her overripe and flowery prose that almost drowns in indulgence. Parts bothered me - Byron's endless whining about the loss of his mortality, his constant wish-washyness.

Still, if you are a fan of the genre, you ought to read it. It got very strong reviews - and is available in paperback of course

http://www.bookpage.com/9602bp/fiction/lordofthedead.html

Guest sugarbay

Originally posted by Soulsearcher+Dec 2 2005, 12:05 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Setheus@Dec 2 2005, 10:50 AM

So which of these characters would Lord Byron most likley get along with...

Lestat de Lioncourt

Louis de Pan du Lac

Marius de Rominus and/or Armadeo

Claudia

or my favorite.....Memnoch the devil

With out reading the book he sounds quite a lot like Louis, doesn't mean they's get along though. Sounds like he might get the most patience from Memnoch

LeStat, hands down. B)