February Sports

nbblood

I just started thinking about what goes on in February. We have the Superbowl (1 day)and the Daytona 500 (4 days)*, the two largest spectator events in the U.S. On top of that, this year we have the Winter Olympics (16 days). Golf gets the 2010 season underway with the Accenture Match Play Championship (5 days), then the PGA tour season opener, Phoenix Open (4 days). I think the NBA had some little event in Dallas this year (1 day), but I'm still trying to figure out who cares about that one or what exactly it was. Additionally college basketball counts down to March Madness, the NBA (as if anybody cares) and NHL (except the Olympic break) seasons are in full swing, and the PGA and NASCAR circuits are in their early season schedules (ongoing throughout).

All that and, perhaps most importantly, players start reporting for MLB Spring Training this month too!

That's more days worth of sports than February has days to offer. I'm not calling in "sick" to work. I'm calling in "sports" to work! Do I get a credit for the excess sports for which February doesn't have enough days?

* if you count the Gatorade Duels and the Nationwide race

** I don't hate basketball, I'm just not a fan of the individual "franchise" promotion entity that is the NBA, which takes a team sport and makes it an individual glamour promotion and in the process, promotes thuggery and egotism to it's max potential by overpaying it's athletes to proportions unbelievable, even in comparison to other major sports organizations, such as the NFL, MLB, or NHL. I'm not a fan of NBA basketball, did you get that along the way?

I don't follow the NBA. Of all the major sports, basketball is probably my least favorite. But after reading your description..February has more than I thought it did. I figured there was really nothing going on between end of football and beginning of baseball.

Guest Godless

I like the NBA. The All-Star game was a lot of fun to watch, and I found it amusing that the jumbotron at Cowboy's Stadium is bigger than the court was. I've never been able to get into NCAA basketball for some reason.

I also like to follow the Washington Capitols (NHL) this time of year. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but the Caps are a great team and it's nice to have a DC team to cheer for.

Alot of things are going on. The NHL gets heated cuase teams are trying to get ready for the playoffs. College basketball gets heated because the tourney is around the corner and teams are trying to get that invite to the big dance. Pitchers and catchers report and you can just smell those dogs cooking at the park and hear the baseball popping in the glove.....life is good.