Do Mormons celebrate Ash Wednesday?

MichaelCraig

I know many people within the Christian faith that celebrate Ash Wednesday that are not Catholic. I know that Methodists, Presbyterians and some Brethern churches do. I would think the Lutheran church would as well, and Episcopalians.

We have some friends that are Episcopalian that celebrate Ash Wednesday.

It's not just a Catholic thing, as several churches observe Lent, as a way to spiritually prepare for Easter. I personally think it's a nice idea as it's a way to remember Christ's death on the cross, and resurrection. Like the LDS church, other Christians believe that Christ rose from the dead. Protestant churches have an empty cross to show that Christ isn't there anymore.

Thank you everyone. Not exactly sure if my question was explained or answered in a way that my simple mind can grasp but as far as I understand the answer is, NO, LDS folks do not observe Ash Wednesday traditonally and it is not a service held in the local stake on Ash Weds. Or do I have that all wrong???? Ya'll bare with me, I'm from south Ga you know. :P

I imagine that if any did it would likely be those who converted from a church that celebrated it, or were in a family that celebrated it traditionally.

Personally i'd like to get into observing some more of the various holidays from different cultures and religions.

About the only holidays that the Church observes is easter and christmas.. and in the US, fourth of July and thanksgiving.

It's not just a Catholic thing, as several churches observe Lent, as a way to spiritually prepare for Easter. I personally think it's a nice idea as it's a way to remember Christ's death on the cross, and resurrection. Like the LDS church, other Christians believe that Christ rose from the dead. Protestant churches have an empty cross to show that Christ isn't there anymore.

Catholics also believe that Jesus rose from the dead. A common misconception I've seen is that many people think that the crucifix means a belief that Jesus is still on the cross when it's not that at all. In fact, in the Apostle's Creed and Nicene Creed, one of which is recited every Mass, states that Jesus rose from the dead on the third day. The crucifix has Jesus as a reminder of what Jesus went through, the great sacrifice that He made to grant us forgiveness and eternal life. I myself prefer the crucifix over the cross, not because I want to focus on the suffering and crucifixion above the resurrection and salvation, but as a reminder that if Jesus was willing to go through all that He did and give his very life, to suffer as He did, surely I can make the small an (in comparison) insignificant sacrifices that are asked of me to live life in a manner that is pleasing and glorifying to God. Why should I complain about being told to abstain from having a margarita and a chai latte when Jesus went through all that He did without complaining and said "Father forgive them"? And yes, I am a Mormon.

Thank you everyone. Not exactly sure if my question was explained or answered in a way that my simple mind can grasp but as far as I understand the answer is, NO, LDS folks do not observe Ash Wednesday traditonally and it is not a service held in the local stake on Ash Weds. Or do I have that all wrong???? Ya'll bare with me, I'm from south Ga you know. :P

I think a good way to put it would be that the Church does not observe Ash Wednesday but some members individually may choose to. I do, except I wasn't able to go to the service because I had a sick baby.