Short answer is it is where sacred ordinances take place. Sealing for time and eternity, baptism and ordinance for the dead, a place where we can feel closer to God when searching for answers. It is very important, any person, member or not, can attend our Sunday service. The temple requires a higher level of commitment and only open to members. A newly baptized can go do baptism but the rest of the temple you must be a member for a year. (both have to meet the standard of course)

If you ever get a chance go to a open house of one before it is dedicated, the only time one is open to the public for viewing. Even then you can feel the difference.

The temple is the Mountain of the Lord. Anciently, the Jewish temple was viewed as God's living space upon the earth. People experienced God in the temple, as that was the main place where God revealed himself.

Prior to Solomon's temple, the Lord used the Tabernacle for Moses, and before that used solitary locations, often on mountain tops (such as Mt Sinai) to reveal himself to his people.

In the modern LDS temples, we receive ordinances and instruction which prepare us to return to God's presence and to know Him and our true relationship with him.

Temples are considered the House of the Lord and differ from our regular church meeting houses for Sunday worship. They are sacred and Holy and dedicated to God by a living Prophet or Apostle. This dedication is to help keep the temple structure and its grounds safe and free from evil influences in the world.

The primary purpose for LDS temples are to strengthen one's faith in Jesus Christ by participating in saving ordinances and making sacred covenants with God. These ordinances and covenants made in the temple are not secret, but are sacred and therefore only Latter-day Saints in good standing with church guidelines are permitted to enter.

My faith is strengthened each time I see a beautiful temple. The glory and majesty of the building reminds me of Jesus Christ and is symbolic of Him being the way, the truth, and the life of the world. Please stop by to learn more about temples on my personal blog... LDS FAM 4 EVER

In basic terms, we learn where we came from, why we're here, and where we're going after this life and therefore as we progress we can learn more about our Heavenly Father's plan in the temple.

Temples are considered the House of the Lord and differ from our regular church meeting houses for Sunday worship. They are sacred and Holy and dedicated to God by a living Prophet or Apostle. This dedication is to help keep the temple structure and its grounds safe and free from evil influences in the world.

The primary purpose for LDS temples are to strengthen one's faith in Jesus Christ by participating in saving ordinances and making sacred covenants with God. These ordinances and covenants made in the temple are not secret, but are sacred and therefore only Latter-day Saints in good standing with church guidelines are permitted to enter.

My faith is strengthened each time I see a beautiful temple. The glory and majesty of the building reminds me of Jesus Christ and is symbolic of Him being the way, the truth, and the life of the world. Please stop by to learn more about temples on my personal blog... LDS FAM 4 EVER

In basic terms, we learn where we came from, why we're here, and where we're going after this life and therefore as we progress we can learn more about our Heavenly Father's plan in the temple.

I checked out your blog. Thank you for the link!

I've wanted to see this up close, and am hoping to make the public tour of the Vancouver BC temple, set for early April this year.

I would love to be able to tour a Temple before they are dedicated, etc. I hope that you are able to go.

Hopefully, I will be able to visit Salt Lake this year. I have joked with my Missionary about finding a way to get me in. ;)

It looks as though the instructions for the Temple are found in the D&C. I am not very familiar with the D&C.

I've wanted to see this up close, and am hoping to make the public tour of the Vancouver BC temple, set for early April this year.

If you want to see all the technical architectural details of the Vancouver temple, here is a link to the city zoning documents that the church submitted. It has the blueprints of the temple, as well as the chapel and temple president's home which share the lot. It also has things like lighting, parking lot details, etc. Not really on the spiritual side, but it gives you a preview of what you will see when you tour the temple.

This is a PDF file, so it might take a little time to download.

http://langley.ihostez.com/content/pdfstorage/B671F9E88C334463A5590DD11E0597DC-07-79%20Rezoning%20Application%20100276%20The%20Ch.pdf

By the way, I am also hoping to make it to the open house in April. Road Trip!

What is the purpose and importance of Temples in the LDS faith?

Temples are symbolic of heaven on earth (and more specifically God's dwelling place on earth). Everything that goes on inside a temple is symbolic with some aspect in regards to God and rightiousness.

In temples, special covenants are made with God by using special rituals and promises (Ordinances). Also done in temples are Ordinances (sacred rituals) that allow the spirits of people who have passed away without the gospel to accept the same gospel blessings as those who have recieved the gospel in life if they so desire.