What financial things does the church help with?

harleylds

I had a question regarding what things would a Bishop help someone financially with in the ward that is struggling? My brother has said he is going to ask for financial help with some bills since he is unemployed from a knee surgery. What things are not usually helped with including medical bills, school expenses, rent, various life bills? He asked and I sadly didn't have an answer for him on what the procedure is like. Thanks you guys!

My personal experience, they will sometimes help with basic life necessities. I've been helped with rent and utilities in the past. Plus the ability to get a food order from the Bishop's Storehouse.

Thanks Pam...do you know if they would help him with school so he can retrain for a career that doesn't require such physical strain on his body; if he can't get financial aid?

i don't know of anyone who cannot get financial aid for school. Getting the money is easy, paying it back now that's where it gets difficult.:D

Seriously many schools are businesses, they will bend over backward to get "your" money,

One thing to remember - the church does not offer handouts. There is no such thing as just a one-sided "sure, we'll pay your bills". The church's welfare system revolves around work. Any utility bill or medical bill or food bill or what have you, will be earned in some way. The ways are various and diverse. Anything from doing church service, to working in the bishop's storehouse, to using whatever talent the person has in whatever way might be useful.

The church is also big on self-sufficiency, and any longer-term help will come with a jointly-agreed on plan to get the person into a position where they can pay their own bills. If your brother has a house he can't afford, or a lot of toys he's making payments on, you can expect those to be discussed.

The church's welfare system truly is a marvelous thing. Your brother should have no qualms about approaching the bishop.

LM