Artists and LDS film-making, movies ?

bernhard

Hello,

I really love to watch our LDS movies. And above that, I would like to know how I could participate in making such great movies ?

I am a 3D VFX Artist and I was searching already for a forum or place of LDS Artists.

I could find some websites mainly of traditional painting artists, but was never lucky to find any place or forum for digital artists.

So if anyone would like to let me know an lds artist forum, or a lds film-making forum, lds producers, directors, cinematography-artists, graphic artists, and of course special effects artist, etc.,.....

.... well... that would be soooooo fantastic.

Thank you so much for every little help !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, it seems at the moment that LDS movie productions have disappeared for now. The only LDS movies I know to have 3D VFX are "The Testaments" and "The Book of Mormon Movie" which one was made by the church and pretty sure that was a one-time gig and the TBOMM never seemed to get past their first "volume".

The only LDS producer that seems to be doing production still is the LIKEN guys which their produces are just "recorded plays".

If anything it seems if you want be a sure-fire part of an LDS production...you got to make the call and start the project yourself...With me my dream is to make LDS-themed animation, but seeing how the only thing like that is the overpriced Living Scriptures videos...I just plan on producing my own at some point...maybe you should try to research what potential you as a 3D VFX artist can get going....it's your best bet.

Hello and thank you for your reply.. I really appreciate that.

Hmmm.. what I don't understand is that the movie like "The Testaments" was made by our church... but I mean, didn't our church just hire production companies which did the whole movie ?

I tried to figure out more.. but couldn't ... I even couldn't find the director, or cinematographer, etc.

If you know more about that... that would be fantastic.

@Animation:

Yes, that's a fantastic topic for me as well.. since I am a 3D VFX Artist... and that includes all things for that field and industry. Modeling, Texturing, Rigging & Skinning, Animation, Lighting, Shading, Rendering, Postproduction, and so much more.

I also have a passion for cinematography... I just recently got my new camera (two weeks ago) and finished my first take.. just a test.. to see what I can do.... but this test was just a film test.. and has nothing to do with computer graphic animation.

my idea was, tho show the Liahona in a aluminum hard case.... you can find it on my website:

Bernhard Rieder - Computer Graphic

you can find older 3d animations on youtube:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

and I make different all kind of 3D CG Work .. from totally realistic, till abstract things:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.bernhardrieder.com/image_hornet.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

just a few examples of what I am doing.. and yeah, all is computer graphic....

so far so good,

thx again for your interest... and yes.. please let me know what you are doing...

you said, you are interested in making animations... would you like to tell me a little bit more about that ?

Thank you and till later,

Bernhard

I am interested in making japanese-style LDS animation. I have even decided to write my first LDS-anime pilot and thinking of other script possibilities...and maybe base my next one off Sailor Moon(My other script is based off of Gundam)

I also been researching the cost of having the actual animation and other art requirements done overseas(Korea for example).

I already know a good resource of finding voice talent so I don't have to worry about that too much.

I just wish I had the money to actually get a production started.

There's just so much live action movies that I feel the need to breathe some new animation into the LDS film market if not the christian market as a whole.

• 2 weeks later...

If you mean myself...not really...I have some animation skills with flash but real animation skill I lack horribly...and it also doesn't help that there isn't any good animation programs in the US...that is if you don't count those overrated 3D animation programs....BYU has one but they focus mainly on Pixar/Dreamworks stuff....which I could live without 3D seeing how there's so much of it it's practically "a dime a dozen".

So if I have to I'll stick to my art program and transfer somewhere that has some kind of 2D animation course and a japanese language program...and all goes well...I am gonna go ahead and go into a full-fledged japanese-animation program in Japan.

Korea and Japan are the hot spots for quality animation now...and you can tell that by comparing stuff like Sailor Moon with something like...Kim Possible >_<

I think that kind of animation is more old style... what I mean is, it's 2d animation - different layers mostly painted in comic style, camera panning etc.

I never had anything to do with such kind of animation... I think what is more popular right now is doing animations in 3d.....

There are many kind of different styles.. one of them is based on more traditional paintings.. you can watch here:

Wrath of the Lich King - Cinematic on Vimeo

you see the difference between 2d and 3d - I can't say 3d is better as 2d... it's a taste... but just wanted to let you know that many things are already done in 3d...

so you like more the japnese style, look at an older Final Fantasy Trailer, which was done years ago, also in 3d:

or even older animations:

It takes a lot of knowledge and efforts to get such things done.

But I like it as much as 2d animations.

Yes 3D is done alot more...to the point of being OVERDONE in my opinion.

Sure...just have the computer animate something for ya...instead of learning some real drawing talent and do some real work.

I remember when 3D was actually GOOD, but now there is a lot of BAD 3D.

If you're just gonna go with the flow and make something cruddy...I could care less about your product or anything similar to it.

2D animation on the other hand is also being done, but because it cost more now because of lazyness you get things like kim possible where you can see the increasing lack of good drawing skills.

At least when the japanese and koreans do 2d...it can be something to be reckoned with.

Comparing something like this (older japanese style)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2257/esmoon2020ssailors201024x768of1.jpg

to something like this (newer american style...)

http://itelling.com/erinvskim/kim_possible_mission_outfit.jpg

I would go with number one ANYDAY!

• 1 month later...

Well.. a film project is a huge step... maybe I will consider first a short movie... (maybe 5 to 10 minutes).

I would consider both, a fully 3D short or just a real film.

And the most important thing: The story or message

always interested in getting some nice inputs, ideas and hints.

all the best and till later

That's probably a sensible first step - to do a short. And of course, it does seem like a waste of time to put something out that didn't have a message. Do you plan to write it yourself or will you bring in a writer?

I had a friend of mine do a film. I'll have to ask him the particulars of it. All I know is that it was done on a pretty small budget, in one day. He says it came out about sit-com level of quality. When I find out what it required I'll post what he said.

:)

allright... always interested to see some short films etc.

@idea:

I consider both.. what means, my own ideas or if someone else does have a really good story.

what's really important for me is the message and the quality of the film. by quality I mean all together... camera, cinematography, look & style, lighting, costumes, vfx, audio, editing, and so on....

Edited by bernhard

• 1 month later...

@bernhard

Hey, I had the EXACT same question! I'm a 3D Character Modeler- just graduated from Full Sail University and looking for a job...

So I called BYU Provo- they don't do anything, only student based...

Then I searched and searched online for info on LDS made movies and their production houses- I haven't found anything worth finding, yet. Even the Bonneville Productions that the church supposedly uses to make their movies didn't have anything. So I've given up pretty much.

But I saw this thread and I thought I'd say something.

@bernhard

Hey, I had the EXACT same question! I'm a 3D Character Modeler- just graduated from Full Sail University and looking for a job...

So I called BYU Provo- they don't do anything, only student based...

Then I searched and searched online for info on LDS made movies and their production houses- I haven't found anything worth finding, yet. Even the Bonneville Productions that the church supposedly uses to make their movies didn't have anything. So I've given up pretty much.

But I saw this thread and I thought I'd say something.

I know that Michael Flynn is pretty active in LDS films as a producer and an actor. Why not contact him and see if he has any suggestions for you.

:)

FYI: Kieth Merrill directed The Testaments and I've personally heard him speak about the process of casting and creating a non-commercial movie produced by the church - all those employed by the church are held to the same hiring requirements.

http://www.lds.net/forums/general-discussion/32148-lds-casting-notice-project-new-testament.html#post503066

A little bit of info on some of the past LDS film projects:

Leading Actors and Filmmakers in LDS Cinema

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe you already know this, but many Church films are done at the BYU Film Studios in Provo, Utah. Additionally, Brigham Young University has a theater program that teaches film making and also has an award-winning animation department. At BYU-Hawaii there is a club called "Focus Films" headed by Glenn Kau. He and students write, act in and produce films each year for the fun of it, some are submitted to film festivals. You may also want to get involved with the Indie-film industry if there is one in your area. You could make great connections and learn. Just some thoughts.

Yeah, I tried calling. I talked with a lady in the arts/computer animation area and she basically told me that only the students make movies as it is mandatory. Only student based, I guess. >.< I have given up on this search that leads to nothing. Even the one lead I found (Book of Mormon Movie) turned out that they ran out of money to produce the second movie in the series.

I really honestly think that there must not be anyone out there with a big enough budget to get anywhere for LDS CG films. So sad.... :(