Gospel/Christian Music Prohibited?

lumberjacksdaughter

As my children were growing up, sometimes persons in teaching/authority positions would be giving their own opinion but present it as scriptural doctrine. We often would discuss doubts/confusion about gospel principles when this would happen. My kids had a strong sense of fairness/justice/logic so they often had a keen sense of something not being correctly presented. The gospel at it's core is fair, just and logical.

My 31 year old daughter has only gospel/Christian music to play at home and in her car. Most other popular music is not uplifting or positive, she says. Last night while we were traveling in her car she mentioned that she had always been told that we should not be listening to that type of music, that it was unaceptable to be singing about Jesus and the gospel if it was not sober, respectul and church santioned. I said I am sure those people meant that music in the chapel or even in classes should be from our hymn books and if not, should be reverent. I feel that outside of the church, that to choose music that is uplifting and encouraging, even if it has a good beat, is not against gospel principles. I am not talking about "rowdy" music. Mostly it is similar to what would be called "easy listening" or "soft rock" if it were regarding other non-religious topics.

Is only music sold at Deseret Books acceptable?

I once took someone to a Sacrament meeting where the members "mumbled" the hymns with no enthusiasm at all. My friend afterward asked me how the church could possibly be true. If it were, he felt the people would have been singing with joy, passion and conviction, not paralyzed with boredom. Maybe that Sunday, the hymns were all the ones with the instructions to sing reverently, gently, quietly, etc. We have some wonderful hymns where the instructions are to sing fervently, exultantly, vigorously, jubilantly, etc. (those are the ones I love the most).

Edited by lumberjacksdaughter

I once took someone to a Sacrament meeting where the members "mumbled" the hymns with no enthusiasm at all. My friend afterward asked me how the church could possibly be true. If it were, he felt the people would have been singing with joy, passion and conviction, not paralyzed with boredom. Maybe that Sunday, the hymns were all the ones with the instructions to sing reverently, gently, quietly, etc. We have some wonderful hymns where the instructions are to sing fervently, exultantly, vigorously, jubilantly, etc. (those are the ones I love the most).

Your friend is correct. This is conclusive proof of the church being false. The alternative of course is that they are like me and they just simply can't sing - mumbling at least saves some embarrassment ;)

Your daughter is 31 years old. While you are still and always will be her mother and able to advise her, the time for you to set rules for her expired 13 years ago.

It's just difficult for me to understand where she would have gotten the idea that the church has an official position which discourages listening to faith centered music that does not come from an LDS source. I sincerely would like to know if she is correct.

ok...so maybe some of MY music isn't exactly considered christian, but it moves me, and inspires me, and ANY love song can be sung to our HF.....

as a former musician, i know the unbridled joy of music......and as we ALL have a voice to sing with, we are ALL musicians.

and if you think you can't sing, as i recall, the saying goes.....make a JOYFULL NOISE.

i have a varied playlist....and all of it i consider spiritual and i sing these songs to my HF.

they represent just some of the milestones in my life. they touch my heart, and HF knows why.

make a joyful noise...it is a prayer to our HF.

It's just difficult for me to understand where she would have gotten the idea that the church has an official position which discourages listening to faith centered music that does not come from an LDS source. I sincerely would like to know if she is correct.

Because people being as they are sometimes like to present opinion as fact, a fair amount of the time this is well intentioned. Sometimes this occurs within a church setting, the Word of Wisdom is a good example, a lot of people like to portray their opinion on the matter as the official doctrine of the church and thus you end up with people accusing those who cook with wine or those who drink a Pepsi as vile sinners.

As far as something a little more concrete then an idea obtained from some half forgotten comment that could have been taken out of context I present this concerning music:

Music is an important and powerful part of life. It can be an influence for good that helps you draw closer to Heavenly Father. However, it can also be used for wicked purposes. Unworthy music may seem harmless, but it can have evil effects on your mind and spirit. Choose carefully the music you listen to. Pay attention to how you feel when you are listening. Don’t listen to music that drives away the Spirit, encourages

immorality, glorifies violence, uses foul or offensive language, or promotes Satanism or other evil practices.

I'm not seeing anything about Non-LDS worship music being mentioned here. If it doesn't do those things it warns against I think you're safe. Also, Consider this CD by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir: The Official Site of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

I can't see how this is acceptable music but some good Southern Gospel is not.

Edited by Dravin

If this was a wide policy you would be hearing about it more then just some random member.

With that said. I have always wondered if Heavenly Father finds some of this "soft rock" music inspiring. I mean there is one side that I might enjoy the music. But this can happen in a wide range of songs. The other is that some songs just happen to talk about God or Christ and how great he is. Does this make the song better then some other music in the eyes of God?

A good example of this is Amazing Grace. I think somebody posted about why this isn't a Hymn. I think we probably have all heard some version of Amazing Grace that we enjoyed.

Honestly I think it comes down to some topic that was given in General Conference one ( maybe by Oaks) about Good, better, Best. It was how some choices are good or better, but maybe not the best.

I kind of think music probably can fall into this. There probably is good and better music (then the normal music). But I think Hymns are probably the best form of Music to some degree in the eyes of God.

I think I agree with most of the posts above. I think I can see where she may have gotten confused though. I have heard that Bishops are encouraged to only use music that is in the Hymn book for Sacrament meetings. The purpose of this rule is to ensure that the music performed and or sung in Sacrament is appropriate. However, I don't think the rule applies outside of Sacrament meeting!!!!

I think that any music that is uplifting spiritually and/or does not detract from your ability to have a positive relationship with Christ is wonderful. Otherwise, what would I ever run to. I would be in big trouble if I tried to run to music produced by the church.

Angela

Scriptures 4 Kids

The only problem I would have with mainstream Christian music is if it teaches or reinforces ideas that are non-doctrinal or false. As with all music, using your good judgement and the spirit would be wise counsel.

Ironically, if this is the standard, you would do better to avoid traditional Christian hymns. Their verses and choruses are rich with teaching and doctrine, much of which extols the cross, the Trinity, warns of eternal hellfire, presents God as awesome, and humanity as "worms," etc.

Contemporary Christian Music, on the other hand, is meant to be simple, easy to learn, so that listeners can quickly memorize the lyrics, shut their eyes, and "worship." It's meant to usher us into God's presence, and help us to meditate, usually on a single thought about God. So, if it's heresy you fear, the modern stuff is safe--it's the traditional church music (non-LDS) that you must avoid! :D

Ironically, if this is the standard, you would do better to avoid traditional Christian hymns. Their verses and choruses are rich with teaching and doctrine, much of which extols the cross, the Trinity, warns of eternal hellfire, presents God as awesome, and humanity as "worms," etc.

Contemporary Christian Music, on the other hand, is meant to be simple, easy to learn, so that listeners can quickly memorize the lyrics, shut their eyes, and "worship." It's meant to usher us into God's presence, and help us to meditate, usually on a single thought about God. So, if it's heresy you fear, the modern stuff is safe--it's the traditional church music (non-LDS) that you must avoid! :D

Not ironically, I do avoid most of those old-timey hymns.

I like some modern Christian music, but not the ones that try to make Jesus sound like your boyfriend.

I think they call those "Jesus-my-boyfriend" songs. You can recognize them because when you swap all the times it says Jesus with someones name, it turns into a love song.

Here are some lyrics:

1. All I need to do is just be me, being in love with you.

2. My world stops spinning round, without you.

3. I never want to leave; I want to stay in your warm embrace.

Stuff like that.

However, I really love Sermon Jams. Not sure if you've heard of them, but it's like a sermon mixed with music. They don't play them on the radio, but you can usually find them on YouTube and stuff.

Last night while we were traveling in her car she mentioned that she had always been told that we should not be listening to that type of music, that it was unaceptable to be singing about Jesus and the gospel if it was not sober, respectul and church santioned.

If God had meant for people to tap their toes to music, they would have been born with feet!!!

:eek:

FYI Your daughter is keeping to a very common standard in the church....for full time missionaries. That's the only time I can think of that such a restrictive standard is set for the listening of music.

Different types of music inspire different people in different ways....that's why there's so many varieties and genres from which to choose. However, if something is not pleasing to you that is not sufficient reason to assume it must be wrong for everyone.

For example, I don't really care for country music too much. There are a lot of great songs in that type of music, and many of them have strong religious themes in the lyrics, but I simply cannot listen to it for long.

I like some modern Christian music, but not the ones that try to make Jesus sound like your boyfriend.

I think they call those "Jesus-my-boyfriend" songs. You can recognize them because when you swap all the times it says Jesus with someones name, it turns into a love song.

Cool - I found common ground with JohnOF123! We both find certain elements of our faith's musical preferences a little distasteful! I personally find some of our music-based worship in my faith wooden and dry. So many of our hymns are beautiful and passionate and energetic - yet we sometimes sing them like we're reading instructions on how to file our taxes.

Do any of our non-LDS friends here know about the group who sang "Our God is a God of second chances" In the Veggie Tales movie Jonah? I'd love to hear more of their stuff.

LM

I guess I ought to actually participate in the thread topic lol.

she mentioned that she had always been told that we should not be listening to that type of music, that it was unaceptable to be singing about Jesus and the gospel if it was not sober, respectul and church santioned.

I've been an active member for 30+ years, and have never heard this. Or more directly, I know people who will only allow 'church-approved' (whatever that means) stuff into their lives. I figure good for them - surrounding yourself with wholesome and uplifting stuff is a wonderful thing. But no, I'm aware of no counsel from scripture or church leader that states our church is the ONLY place to find wholesome and uplifting stuff. In fact, I'm aware of quite a bit of council from church leaders indicating the exact opposite - that good things are found all over the place, and we should grab hold of them wherever we find them.

LM