Gospel/Christian Music Prohibited?

lumberjacksdaughter

Is only music sold at Deseret Books acceptable?

I bought my first Josh Groban CD at Deseret Books. He is not LDS. Since then, however, I have bought my music CD's at Walmart, Walgreen's, Target and Best Buy. Why? Because Deseret Books is very expensive. In-Other-Words they are Way TOO Proud of their products.

I am very picky about what radio stations I listen to. Music really affects me, spiritually. If it is hard and negative, then I feel it and act upon it. So I listen to easy jazz, rhythm and blues, and easy listening (elevator music).

At home I listen to Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, and Mozart. When the missionaries are over, there is no music playing at all.

To answer your question, is the music sold at Deseret Books what she should buy and listen to - yes of course it is. After she buys every thing they have, google the artists and see just how many are NOT LDS. That should shake her up just a bit.

Edited by Iggy
to fix the quote

Many Mormons were all up in arms about that movie "The Golden Compass" a few years back, because the author Phillip Pullman is an athiest and his books are about discovering that god is actually a bad guy and killing him.

At the time of the movie release, Deseret Book was selling a different work of fiction by Pullman. I walked into the store with my own two feet, and saw the book with my own two eyes. And yes, I was in Deseret Book.

Again, I have no problem with people who want to surround themselves with only fine uplifting good stuff. I'm just cautioning against relying on other people (especially relying on a for-profit company) to determine what that is for you.

LM

I am wondering if there is any virtue in cutting ourselves off from inspirational gospel music because its praise is joyous rather than solemn. You would think that slow sonorous music would be better suited to provoke melancholia or mourning than to rouse the congregation in His name.

"If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

This includes music as well. Nowhere in our Articles of Faith does it say that only things found in Deseret books is praiseworthy, virtuous, lovely, or of good report.

I doubt any LDS will suddenly convert to charismatic Christianity by listening to a song like Let It Rain (listen here to be tempted....prisonchaplains Profile ยป LDS Mormon Network) Likewise, I doubt that listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing America the Beautiful would leave me with an unexplained urge to seek a Temple recommend from the nearest bishop. :-)

Edited by prisonchaplain
add link

Ironically, if this is the standard, you would do better to avoid traditional Christian hymns. Their verses and choruses are rich with teaching and doctrine, much of which extols the cross, the Trinity, warns of eternal hellfire, presents God as awesome, and humanity as "worms," etc.

Contemporary Christian Music, on the other hand, is meant to be simple, easy to learn, so that listeners can quickly memorize the lyrics, shut their eyes, and "worship." It's meant to usher us into God's presence, and help us to meditate, usually on a single thought about God. So, if it's heresy you fear, the modern stuff is safe--it's the traditional church music (non-LDS) that you must avoid! :D

Wait, what's wrong with songs talking about the Trinity. the cross, or presenting God as awesome?

ETA: please bear in mind I'm still relatively new to the LDS church.

These are some of my favorite contemporary Christian songs...

YouTube - Our God is an Awesome God

I know Kari Jobe! She used to sing every summer at the youth camp my church I grew up in went to. Seeing her name here just brought back some good memories and made me go "Hey cool!".