First church attendance

Nomad

Hi there folks. I’m working up the courage to attend this coming Sunday (but knowing me probably won’t :rolleyes:) and thought I’d ask here for what I can expect. Anything I should or should not do? I’m actually a very private person and am worried about being swamped since I’d be the ‘newcomer’ in this situation.

Anybody out there got some tips/encouragement for a newbie?

go in 1 min before Sacrament meeting, sit in the back, leave during the closing hymn.

Repeat until comfortable.

Agreed. I can totally understand being uncomfortable around strangers and a new social setting. I've grown up in the church all my life, but my father was in the military so we moved around a lot, and I always felt uncomfortable in our new wards even though I knew what to expect.

LDS are a very social, close-knit people. So, if you hang around outside of sacrament time, people are sure to say hello, welcome you to the ward, ask whether you are new or visiting, a member or investigating, and offer to help you in whatever way they can. While this is a wonderful part of the church, it can be very overwhelming to someone who isn't very social by nature.

Avoid the social part of it until you will feel comfortable with it. Come for the sacrament meeting so you can get a feel for what its like, listen to the talks, and feel the spirit. Then leave. Once you feel more comfortable with opening up the social aspect, you can hang around a little longer.

Hi there folks. I’m working up the courage to attend this coming Sunday (but knowing me probably won’t :rolleyes:) and thought I’d ask here for what I can expect. Anything I should or should not do? I’m actually a very private person and am worried about being swamped since I’d be the ‘newcomer’ in this situation.

in big friendly letters:

DON'T PANIC

otherwise just say hi to anyone that greets you and let them know you are just seeing their church for the first time.

There are 3 meetings each in 1 hour blocks, the main one is sacrament (or communion as it is called in other churches) happens either first or last.

Meetings start off with a song and a prayer, then the leader does some business, and then theres usually another song, then in sacrament the the priesthood will bless and pass the sacrament (which consists of Bread and water, that represent the body and spirit of Christ). You don't need to take this if youre not a member... as a member its a duty to try to be worthy so that we can partake of it, as this ceremony renews our covenants with God.

After the bread and water have been passed and the priesthood dismissed the church program will have other members come up and teach on some point of doctrine, or they wil open the podium to people who would like to share their testimony of God and Christ (and this is not limited to just members).

When these are finsihed the meeting will close with song and prayer.

the other two meetings are priesthood/relief society where people will seperate by age and gender and go to their related group to learn what and how to perform their roles and duties in church and family.

the third meeting is sunday school, and this is where we are taught about the scriptures, and scripture history.

during these last two meetings feel free to ask questions on/about the topic.

Hi Nomad!

From one introvert to another - you need to set up things properly to succeed. Mormons are notoriously friendly, outgoing people. It can be quite a stress dealing with them for someone like me, who would be very content to only encounter people once a week or less.

Here's what I suggest - if you're like me, it would work. Walk into the church, and the first person who starts walking towards you, stick out your hand, introduce yourself, and ask if they can direct you to the bishop or a counselor. Repeat this as many times as it takes until you actually find yourself in front of the bishop or one of his counselors. Then give a very brief, two sentence description of exactly why you're there.

"Hi there - I'm new to your church, I just want to attend sacrament meeting and then go away and think about it. I'm sort of an introvert, and I know you guys can be extra friendly, but really, I'd just like to start out slow."

I think they'll understand. And also, all the hoardes of handshakers and backpatters and friendly gospel sharers will get the word about the new guy, and back off a little.

Tell us how it goes!

LM

The direct approach sounds interesting, a kind of pre-emptive strike on all those well meaning but potentially terrifying smiles. This is why I asked now, trying to get some kind of strategy together and plan the big moment.

The singing is a bit of an issue, not just for me but probably for everybody else. There are UN declarations against my singing after all.

Looking everything up on the LDS maps site (useful, even if the marker has a habit of going askew) I also see a phone number for the local bishop. Might have to conside calling that and discussing things with him in person.

Thanks for all your advice folks, I knew signing up here would be helpful.

With diligence you can withstand even a full frontal assault of hospitality. Telling them that you get overwhemled by too many people people at once might alert someone to run interference for you and ward off the horde.

BTW, you would have no trouble remaining unattended to at my ward.

Guest mirancs8

Been there done that! The first time I went I was really fortunately to have my neighbors (who also happen to be my son's best friends parents) with me when I went. That REALLY helped since I am very shy around groups of new people. Takes a little to warm me up but after that I'm fine.

Just getting to different classes and such I would definitely suggest meeting someone there to take you from one to another. Know any missionaries? Anyone in the neighborhood that goes? Could really help. I know it really helped me because the first time anywhere is difficult. Without them I would have never know where to go after Sacrament.

The 2 wards I've been at have been wonderful very friendly and welcoming.

Good luck and be sure to let us all know how it goes!

I think the 1 min before it starts is pretty good... even beeing a nbit late ... but not during sacrament or prayer is ok. During the first hymn is ok. And sneaking out before lst hymn ends, thus you miss only the colsing prayer. Or just sneak in and hurry in to sit in a back corner, where it is not easy for people to come to say; hi. Even though they really dont bite or have horns or vampyre teeth.... I think... :P