Temple question.

Mute

My parents told me a long time ago they went to the temple and they were brought into a room with several other couples. They were told they would be allowed to have something they wanted. Like a wish. My father wanted to shoot a big elk. My mother wanted her daughter to be liked by everyone. My father says he shot the largest elk he ever shot and my mother believes my sister has always been popular. I didn't know what to think of that. Has anyone else had this happen or heard of it happening?

Well I don't want to say my parents are lying to me. It happened when my mother was pregnant with my older sister so before I was born. It was probably around 30 years ago. I was a bit skeptical when I heard it but wasn't sure. I've asked them about it several times though.

Well, I don't think they're lying to you, perhaps they had a prayer (Wish) in their heart and were able to receive personal revelation in the temple and/or receive the blessings... of shooting a huge elk and your sister to be liked by everyone. God grants people the wishes of their hearts when they are righteous and obedient to His commandments.

My parents told me a long time ago they went to the temple and they were brought into a room with several other couples. They were told they would be allowed to have something they wanted. Like a wish. My father wanted to shoot a big elk. My mother wanted her daughter to be liked by everyone. My father says he shot the largest elk he ever shot and my mother believes my sister has always been popular. I didn't know what to think of that. Has anyone else had this happen or heard of it happening?

there isn't But there is a point and place in the temple when you get to pray and ponder, and discuss heavenly things... there is also the prayer list, both which have elements of something that is wished/asked for which I can see being the basis something like that.

Ugh, forget I mentioned it. I should have guessed it would have been flamed. By the way. I didn't say it was a wishing room. It was the temple president who told them this. I said he pulled them aside into a room but it wasn't a wishing room. He just pulled them aside was all to talk with them. It had been very difficult for them to get there that morning. He said something along the lines the Lord will grant you the wish of your heart. He told them the Lord knew how difficult it was for them to get there. He told them to think about what they wanted and it would be given to them. I don't remember for certain how many other couples were there if any. I'm not going to give anymore details on the subject. Forget I mentioned it. I was just curious if anyone else had it. I was not expecting to get flamed.

Nobody's "flaming" you, Mute. We've just never heard of such a thing before. Nobody's trying to be rude.

Also, what you just posted is phrased completely differently than your original post and makes the situation sound vastly different. Your original post sounded like your parents were told "make a wish, it'll come true!" Now, when you say that they were told "the Lord will reward you for comig to the temple," it makes a lot more sense.

I agree anna.

The Temple President probably had in mind, "The Lord will grant the spiritual, righteous wish of your heart for your faithful temple attendance."

Not saying I wouldn't want to shoot an elk (I don't care so much if everyone likes my daughter). I probably wouldn't meditate on those things in the temple, though, and that's just me, and no, that's not a flame either.

It's definitely possible. The use of the word 'wish' is amiss though.

Matthew 21:22 "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."

Those familiar with the gospel of Jesus Christ will know that we don't 'wish upon a star' like Jiminy Cricket. We humble ourselves in prayer. The Lord desires to bless us. All we need to do is be faithful.

not that i need to say it but no wishing room here either.

not to sound judgmental of your parents but if there were such a thing i don't think i would waste my "wish" on something so worldly or trivial.

what do your parents say when you ask them about it?

i wouldn't necessarily consider these things worldy.

perhaps the wish for the elk was because they didn't have much money and were having difficulty feeding the family. an elk can feed a family for a good long time if it's a big one.

as for the daughter being liked....perhaps they were new to an area and the children were having difficulty fitting in.

we just don't know these things or the circumstances. i understand you're not judging, i'm just saying, they can be thought of in a non-worldly way too.