Aztec, Mayan, Other or Unknown

JohnOF123

I was wondering what the current claims of LDS archeology are. When searching for this, I don't get too much information.

I'm not sure how much digging or research is still done today, but do the LDS archeologists have a claim of a certain ancient peoples? For instance, the Aztec or Mayan culture. I only mention these because I've heard someone claim that before (a while ago).

Any new or updated information would be much appreciated.

Or if you know of a good website that regularly updates and publishes its discoveries, that would be cool too.

somethink that the aztec are laminates

The Aztec civilization arose after the period covered by the Book of Mormon, if I remember correctly.

I've heard some draw connections between the Jaredites and certain aspects of the Olmec civilization; and between Nephites/Lamanites and preclassic Mayans--the timelines are apparently roughly equivalent. But the Church itself makes no archaeological claims.

somethink that the aztec are laminates

Can't be. The Aztec come centuries later. The Nephites and Lamanites are concurrent with the proto-Maya.

Most LDS scholars believe that the Nephites and Lamanites were a part of that culture, although probably a small part of it. There were many tribes among the Maya, some were vassal states to other stronger nations (we see this in the Lamanite lands, see Alma 17-22).