1NEPHI 11 and other scriptural temple imagery

Guest mysticmorini

Guest mysticmorini

I was reading 1Nephi 11 and was struck by how similar this chapter is to the endowment. has anyone else noticed these similarities in any other books of scripture? moses and abraham come to mind.

Try considering the following in context of the temple. Remember, the key thing about the temple is we are practicing returning back into the presence of God (theophany) by living a symbolic experience as Adam and Eve. 1 Ne 1:6-15, 1 Ne 11-15, 2 Nephi 2, Jacob 5, Mosiah 2-5, Alma 9-13, 3 Ne 11-27, Ether 3, 12.

should we be giving the references? seems to me that it's one of those line upon line, let those that have ears to hear kind of things. if we know our scriptures and doctrines there should be nothing shocking or surprising in the temple. however should we be saying specifically to those that have not been... "look here..."

in private conversation as directed by the spirit i don't see a problem with it but random to anyone who may happen across it just cause.... i don't know.

anyone else hesitate on things like this?

Try considering the following in context of the temple. Remember, the key thing about the temple is we are practicing returning back into the presence of God (theophany) by living a symbolic experience as Adam and Eve. 1 Ne 1:6-15, 1 Ne 11-15, 2 Nephi 2, Jacob 5, Mosiah 2-5, Alma 9-13, 3 Ne 11-27, Ether 3, 12.

Yep, the brother of Jared's experience helps me understand the endowment.

Regards,

Vanhin

Guest mysticmorini

should we be giving the references? seems to me that it's one of those line upon line, let those that have ears to hear kind of things. if we know our scriptures and doctrines there should be nothing shocking or surprising in the temple. however should we be saying specifically to those that have not been... "look here..."

in private conversation as directed by the spirit i don't see a problem with it but random to anyone who may happen across it just cause.... i don't know.

anyone else hesitate on things like this?

I'm not sure, one who has not been through the temple would most likely not understand the similarities even if you did tell them where to look.

I'm not sure, one who has not been through the temple would most likely not understand the similarities even if you did tell them where to look.

that's kinda my point. i'm not saying such conversations are wrong or anything, just that i personally hesitate when it's open random discussion. those should be personal discussions. like i said that's just my opinion, maybe i'm alone in that. lol

I think it depends on what in the temple we are referencing. All in the temple is sacred, but much of it is revealed in the scriptures. My focus is on how we can learn to return to the presence of God, not in the things we are asked to keep secret.

Such scriptures as I set out can help those who have not been to the temple to understand holy things in the scriptures, and how they all relate. It becomes a stepping stone for people to prepare for the temple.