Apologetics: Defenders of the Faith

JohnOF123

Anyone be interested in calling a radio show (smaller radio show) anytime in the future?

Need a good defender, lots are here. It's an apologetic atmosphere, and I know there are a lot of good speakers here like, (well I shouldn't name names). But you know who you are, many of you have a lot of knowledge in your faith.

:D

Edited by JohnOF123

Maybe. What sort of show?

Hey, whaddya know, It's loudmouth_mormon, lol.

It is a web-based show, not sure if they actually broadcast on some small little AM station or not. But the audience is mainstream, catholic, lds, agnostic and atheist... quite a mixture. The host is mainstream. Topics can get very interesting. Feel free to let me know if you would like to defend the faith sometime. Debates and discussion can be fun. They have many atheists and catholics defending their belief, but need strong lds to speak up.

I'd like to put out a warning. We've had people in the past that have asked people to participate in other forums, chats, etc. with the purpose of "defending the faith." Only to be thrown to the wolves. While intentional or unintentional, I'd would warn people to be careful in blindly going into something like this. Especially when you are going in as a defender. You are going in automatically on the defensive.

Just speaking from experience and being a moderator and/or member of this site for 10+ years.

Edited by pam

Edit: Pam beat me by a minute. I should have figured she'd be on the ball. :D

Just a recommendation to be a tad wary here folks. No offense John, but people have been invited to discussion and blindsided before. You seem a nice fellow but none of us really know you, or the radio show you are referring to so some degree of caution is advisable.

Yes, I agree. (I'm not trying to fool/trap anyone). It is an apologetic atmosphere. They have many sects preaching their faith Baptists, LDS, Catholics, Jehova Witness, Deists and Atheists to the host. Participants probably only get about 10mins time, depending on how interesting. But it is something for defenders, or decent apologists. So if you are convincing, then it's for you. If you are an average joe, then you would probably get beat up as Pam said.

Edited by JohnOF123

Surely there is a website, or archives of past shows somewhere. I think that would make people more at ease with your assurances.

Well I purposely didn't want to post a link to a website on this open forum. I didn't want to break the rules and be responsible for sending just anyone over to an apologetic website. One must be strong, like bull.

From what I can tell, JohnOF123 is just extending an invitation for anyone who wishes to walk into a boxing ring and take and throw some punches. There's nothing wrong with that (as long as he doesn't break any of the site rules.) You know it's a boxing ring when you click the link. If you're not a boxer, don't enter the ring.

I think many of us have experience with folks extending invitations to the happy fuzzy bunny park of love and polite conversations, only to discover that the place is really a boxing ring when we get there. JohnOF123 is being honest - he doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the lying trap-layers.

LM

happy fuzzy bunny park of love..

:lol: haha

The only problem with a link would be if it has links to anti-LDS material. You don't have ties to people like that, do you?

I do not belong to anti-anything. I am flying solo in life at the moment. I pretty much go to church on Sunday, and study theology all week long while I'm not working. If I got paid for research, I'd be rich :lol:. Or maybe just make a few bucks.

Apologetic websites have apologetic information defending their position against yours. It can also be "anti-" Christadelphianism, Christian Science, Atheism, International Church of Christ, Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses, Kabbalah, Oneness Pentecostal, Open Theism, Roman Catholicism, Seventh Day Adventism, Shepherd's Chapel, Universalism, Wicca.

Edited by JohnOF123

So it is a Christian evangelical, who has a web-radio site, where he debates all those he is convinced are going to burn in hell?

I get that idea, because not a single one of those mentioned is a standard orthodox Protestant Trinitarian. Nice that this guy lists Roman Catholics and 7th Day Adventists with Wicca (which includes witchcraft). Why doesn't he just say he invites all Satanist religions onto his program, so he can convince his loyal evangelical listeners that they are soooo blessed to have him to save them from the evil demonic wolves draped in religious sheep's clothing?

So it is a Christian evangelical, who has a web-radio site, where he debates all those he is convinced are going to burn in hell?

I get that idea, because not a single one of those mentioned is a standard orthodox Protestant Trinitarian. Nice that this guy lists Roman Catholics and 7th Day Adventists with Wicca (which includes witchcraft). Why doesn't he just say he invites all Satanist religions onto his program, so he can convince his loyal evangelical listeners that they are soooo blessed to have him to save them from the evil demonic wolves draped in religious sheep's clothing?

"For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." -God

Your post resonates a very strong dislike. You seem to either not care very much for me, or maybe just coincidentally replying to all of my messages today with a level of harshness I haven't yet seen by LDS members of this forum. Sarcasm and strong debates can be expected once in a while, but I must have really pushed your buttons somewhere. Let us start over, sorry if I said something rude to you or offended you somehow.

All world-views have respectable apologists whom invite and are invited to defend their belief.

I understand your dislike in these events, but I think you might be mis-illustrating many religious apologists.

Edited by JohnOF123

So what's the problem with telling us who it is you represent?

I don't represent anyone. You make me sound like an agent ^_^.

Actually, there are about 3 different radio shows I know of that all need good people. But I don't represent anyone.

I enjoy listening to these debates just like anyone else. And much can be learned.

Since you've asked again, and are a moderator, the name of this one in particular is christian apologetics research ministries; the reason I didn't link, which is (i think) part of your question, was for reasons I mentioned earlier. That I'm not looking to send the public to apologetic or a challenging website. I was asking for strong defenders of the faith that enjoy debating and apologetics.

Are you an apologist Johndoe, or just curious?

Edited by JohnOF123

So what's the problem with telling us who it is you represent?

Well, he doesn't represent anyone but himself. A better question is "what's the problem with telling us what you believe about our faith", and the answer would be "I can't - it's against the site rules."

But leave the guy alone. He's here playing by our rules. I did the same thing once upon a time, and posted often at a UK-based countercult ministry. Managed to make them think a little, too. I'm sure JohnOF123 is hoping the same thing. I managed to not get kicked off the rabid anti-mormon board, got fingers crossed that he won't get kicked off here.

LM

I'm not going to apologize for believing the truth. But I don't believe in casting my pearls before swine, especially those who would do so for their own entertainment or to mock my beliefs.

I'm not asking you to apologize for anything. Sorry if I implied that. Most religious apologists might not agree that they are just casting pearls to swine by participating in discussion and debate, otherwise they would not be apologists. An audience is made up of a group from several different word-views, some open for persuasion, some closed-minded and some neutral until God's moves on them. Now perhaps if it was known (in a rare case) that an entire audience was only going to laugh and be entertained, then that may be "casting pearls to swine." But not typical of a radio audience.

Well I purposely didn't want to post a link to a website on this open forum. I didn't want to break the rules and be responsible for sending just anyone over to an apologetic website. One must be strong, like bull.

If the sites are not anti-Mormon, then you wouldn't be breaking the rules.

I think it's confusing to ask for apologists but refuse to tell them, on the board, exactly where they would be defending the Church.

If these sites are not anti-Mormon, then list them so people can then make a decision.

However, if you still feel wrong about listing them, with the given reason being you don't want to send people to these sites, that makes me suspicious.

People here are strong like bull--they can take it.

Elphaba

I'm not asking you to apologize for anything. Sorry if I implied that. Most religious apologists might not agree that they are just casting pearls to swine by participating in discussion and debate, otherwise they would not be apologists. An audience is made up of a group from several different word-views, some open for persuasion, some closed-minded and some neutral until God's moves on them. Now perhaps if it was known (in a rare case) that an entire audience was only going to laugh and be entertained, then that may be "casting pearls to swine." But not typical of a radio audience.

Just so you know, this is not an apologist board. This is a place where people can engage in genial discussions about the LDS Church. The presumption on this site is that the LDS Church is true. We don't go in for the knock-down drag-out 'my church is better than yours' debate here. There are other places on the internet where they do have that stuff, MADB being one of the best for that. If you're looking for apologists willing to let it all hang out in a mano-a-mano debate fest, then I suggest you look there.

If the sites are not anti-Mormon, then you wouldn't be breaking the rules.

...list them so people can then make a decision.

I don't think that there are any mainstream christian apologetic radio shows (or websites) that some LDS members wouldn't be quick to call anti-mormon. Therefore, it would be more respectful of me just to come out and ask for interested apologists, rather than openly listing websites that new LDS member could stumble upon. I'm not here to start trouble, but I would like to hear what very talented LDS people have to say on the radio, and I think many others would be also. So you think you're strong like bull ehh? ^_^

You don't have ties to people like that, do you?

...who it is you represent?

I don't believe in casting my pearls before swine, especially those who would do so for their own entertainment or to mock my beliefs.

Just so you know, this is not an apologist board.

We don't go in for the knock-down drag-out 'my church is better than yours' debate here. There are other places on the internet where they do have that stuff...

There is nothing wrong with me asking what I have. I went about it in a kind, safe, sensitive and respectable manner. I understand this is not an apologist forum, but there are apologists here, and very talented ones.

Joe, you've asked if I have ties to anti-mormon literature, you've asked me whom I represent, you've given me your opinion on how the radio audience are like throwing pearls to swine, you've stereotyped a radio audience as only wanting to mock you, and now you're telling me there are no apologist on lds.net and to go somewhere else because you don't like debates or apologetics.

I don't wish to argue, but I'm starting to feel that you seem to be trying to argue with me. I'm trying to answer your questions as peacefully as possible, not defeat you in an argument. I think there are probably positive opinions on here too.

Edited by JohnOF123

Hidden

Just so you know, this is not an apologist board.

There is nothing wrong with me asking what I have. I went about it in a kind, safe and respectable manner. I understand this is not an apologist forum, but there are apologists here, and very talented ones.

Joe, you've asked if I have ties to anti-mormon literature, you've asked me whom I represent, you've given me your opinion on how the radio audience are like throwing pearls to swine, you've stereotyped a radio audience as only wanting to mock you, and now you're telling me there are no apologist on lds.net and to go somewhere else because you don't like debates or apologetics.

I don't wish to argue, but I'm starting to feel that you seem to be trying to argue with me. I'm trying to answer your questions as peacefully as possible, not defeat you in an argument.