PC finishes BoM -- observations

prisonchaplain

Why didn't you read it completely? Why just skimming through??

Ever dip your tow in the water, before jumping in. It took me several hours to do just that. Or, in LDS parlance, we must start at the beginning, line upon line, precept upon precept. For me, it looks like the Zoramites are my launch point. :cool:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PC -- I just wanted to put my two cents in -- I think it's great that you 'dipped your toe in the water.' I know many people of other faiths who just stop with thinking the the BoM is blasphemous and wouldn't be caught dead reading it.

It took me 30 years before I heard the Spirit tell me it is true. (Just had to put that in)

I want more input on this, because it's crucial. What say my friends here at LDS.net. If a non-member, not-quite-investigator, prays for wisdom and discernment, while reading over the BoM, but has a sincere willingness to be swayed by the Spirit, will God honor that? Or, as is suggested here, must the reader/petioner be a full-fledged investigator who gives the BoM the benefit of the doubt already, and is really seeking confirmation, not direction?

I think if you ask a specific question, you will get a specific answer. :) Of course you will not receive the confirming witness without first successfully enduring a trial of your faith.

Regards,

Vanhin

In fact, I would be surprised if the pattern so often seen in the bible - Of Piety->Ritualism->Secularism->fall from grace didn't repeat itself in the Book of Mormon. I submit it's a repeat of the type seen in Exodus and when Solomon built the temple(Which became a place for merchants when the Saviour came).

Of course, it wasn't the same temple that Solomon built (it had been rebuilt twice since then) but that's a good point. Ritual leads to familiarity breeds contempt. I belong to a church that uses a lot of repeated ritual, and its sometimes so easy to go along with the words and forget what they mean.

I'm feeling really good about this thread...and I had a strong feeling of accomplishment when I concluded this initial effort. Also, some good insights were shared here, some good direction given...and I even appreciate the opportunity to flesh out my own approach. Blessings to you all.

By the way...be looking for my soon to be published fiction--The Zoramite Conspiracy (j/k!)

EEEEE!

What do you mean J/K? You can't excite me like that. The Zoramite Conspiracy would be a GREAT book!

Oh my gosh, I would buy it. Even if it was like The daVinci Code. I would LOVE to read anything you came up with.

Since the BOM was abridged and compiled long after the coming of Christ, I would expect the text to have specific references that predate His coming, simply because the person writing on the Golden Plates had a more complete knowledge that allowed him to clarify the writings for our benefit. If you or I were to write an abridgment of the OT, I would think it would contain Christian concepts that we now understand more completely. "His name shall be Wonderful, Councelor, the Prince of Peace, Jesus the Christ."

Hi bytebear, I like your thought. But I also like Haendels "Messias". One of my favorite lines is "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Please, don't quote it wrong, it's too beautiful ;)

Hidden

Since it is PrisonChaplain who started this thread I would have to say no. But even that said..isn't this worthy of a pat on the back in any case?

Hidden

Since it is PrisonChaplain who started this thread I would have to say no. But even that said..isn't this worthy of a pat on the back in any case?

for reading the book of mormon? i dont think so

...unless theres some kinda book reading award thats involved. anyone can read the BOM ...so whats the recognition of doing so, for?

Hidden

Why are you being rude about this? I commend anyone that finishes reading the Book of Mormon. If you feel it's nothing to commend someone on..then don't post on it.

Your comments are rude and uncalled for.

Hidden

Why are you being rude about this? I commend anyone that finishes reading the Book of Mormon. If you feel it's nothing to commend someone on..then don't post on it.

Your comments are rude and uncalled for.

I just think we as members tend to heap praise on things that arent really praise worthy IHMO of course. Not meant to be rude, but reading the BOM is just a physical thing. to exercise what you read would be something else.

Hidden

Yep, but to exercise what you read you have to read it first. The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step and all that jazz. In this case Prison Chaplain is our friend, and even if he does't apply what he's read personally it demonstrates a willingness to understand our beliefs. A step many don't bother with.

Hidden

Your point is taken.

PrisonChaplain isn't LDS. As a non LDS who just finished reading the Book of Mormon and posting his thoughts and what he did learn from it is commendable. As LDS we should be supportive of anyone doing something positive whether they be LDS or not. To post comments to the negative defeats what we as LDS are about..and that's to bring people to Christ. The Book of Mormon is another Testament of Christ and one of the foundations of our religion. For that reason we should be supportive.

Hidden

PC is not a member

My opinion is still the same. the BOM is read by thousands upon thousands of non members, every day. Most of whom have no interest in applying what it says and means, and that's cool. But I'm not going to shroud them with hugs over it just coz they merely read it.

The Book of Mormon is more than just a book, a good read or an insightful piece of writing imo. If you read it cool, good for you.

Hidden

My opinion is still the same. the BOM is read by thousands upon thousands of non members, every day. Most of whom have no interest in applying what it says and means, and that's cool. But I'm not going to shroud them with hugs over it just coz they merely read it.

The Book of Mormon is more than just a book, a good read or an insightful piece of writing imo. If you read it cool, good for you.

And you don't have to shroud them with hugs. But you also don't have to post the negative comments either.

Hidden

Your point is taken.

PrisonChaplain isn't LDS. As a non LDS who just finished reading the Book of Mormon and posting his thoughts and what he did learn from it is commendable. As LDS we should be supportive of anyone doing something positive whether they be LDS or not. To post comments to the negative defeats what we as LDS are about..and that's to bring people to Christ. The Book of Mormon is another Testament of Christ and one of the foundations of our religion. For that reason we should be supportive.

Alright. fair enough. Ive made my point and I'll leave it as that. I understand about beiing supportive.