The Lost Civilization of North America

Jodilean

Just saw a movie produced by Steve Smoot about a lost civilization in America as advanced as Roman and Greek society that was demolished by early settlers and "hidden" by the Smithsonian. Anyone heard of this? They included evidence of Egyptian and Hebrew religious sites as well--like the Middle Eastern type temple in Tenn.

Interesting film, I recommend seeing it if you have an interest in Archaeology.

Haven't heard about it. However, there are a lot of conspiracy theories that try and force fit the Book of Mormon into North America/USA. I'd be rather skeptical about it unless they provide some very good evidence that you can research yourself.

Of course, I'm very skeptical about some of the "history" that makes it onto Discovery and History Channels, as well. They try too hard sometimes to catch an angle, so as to get more people to watch. But conspiracy theories do not equal history.

Below is a link that I found on the subject. The website is closed now, but I saved some of the pics that were on it! Maybe it was a hoax? I don't know!

The Lost Civilization of North America - DVD

Posted Image

Alice Kehoe, PhD Anthropology, Harvard University

"The idea that American First Nations had never achieved anything worth preserving has resulted in the wanton destruction of thousands and thousands of earth constructions, mounds, embankments, figures and settlements. So we have lost incalculable amount of archeological data because of no appreciation of their value for historical purposes."

Posted Image

Some of the maps of sites that Squier and Davis surveyed are our only knowledge today that these sites ever existed. Thousands of structures, mounds and other constructions were wantonly destroyed and artifacts were hidden away and discredited. Why were these sites and artifacts not preserved? The answer can be found in the 19th century doctrine of Manifest Destiny and in the then emerging conflict between evolutionary science and religion. Learn more

Edited by LDSgirl

Guest Godless

Of course, I'm very skeptical about some of the "history" that makes it onto Discovery and History Channels, as well. They try too hard sometimes to catch an angle, so as to get more people to watch. But conspiracy theories do not equal history.

Any network that has a show called UFO Hunters is going to be dubious in my book.

and "hidden" by the Smithsonian.

Hey, I saw a movie that had the Smithsonian burying an artifact in a cavernous warehouse. What a way to treat this artifact after it had just melted a bunch of Nazis, enabling the hero and his girl to go free. Just because the artifact had no dewey decimal system classification, there was no call to do that!!!

I did not say the movie was factual. I don't believe we know where the Nephites or Lamanites lived (which was made clear by the producer of the movie.) I found it interesting, however, that many people have no idea who the Hopewell Indians were, and how advanced they were.