little kid testimonies

carlimac

I've read on here before (and I can't remember where), but wasn't there a first presidency letter about parents not dictating testimonies to their kids over the pulpit? That if the kid wants to do it themselves, they can, but the parent shouldn't be whispering in their ear?

There is a letter from the first presidency to Bishoprics and Branch Presidents on the subject. It says something to the tune of "Sacrament meetings are for the bearing of more mature testimonies. Children who are still growing in the gospel should be guided towards bearing testimonies at home or in Primary". [i'm paraphrasing, but it's fairly close.]

Hearing "I know" from someone who doesn't know, bugs me too.

LM

My 8-year-old child bore a great testimony. He stated what he believed in and shared an experience that helped him gain that testimony. He didn't say anything about knowing something he doesn't really know. It was even cool because the bishop bore his testimony first and the bishop said something about the blessings of eating dinner together every night. My son said (30 minutes or so after the bishop), "and just like the bishop said, it is always great to be able to have dinner with my family together..." It showed he was paying attention. But then he said in the end... "I know you're impressed that I got up here today.". I sunk very very low in my pew.

Anyway, our Primary have testimony time every Sunday. They get slips of paper every week that says, "I have a testimony of ___________. I know this is true because ___________." etc. They are supposed to fill this paper up throughout the week and then if they want they can read it in Primary.

We don't get kids up on the pulpit on Sunday anymore. My kid was the only one under 12 in a looooonnnggg time that got up there. We used to have a parade of them getting dictated what to say that adults don't get a chance to bear their own. I think our Primary program helped us with that.

We recently had a testimony meeting in which an investigator got up and spoke about a recent death in his family, he was dressed in street clothes and holding his toddler daughter as he choked up. He said that being there with us that day gave him a lot to think about, that he was looking for something and really appreciated it that we let him and his family be there that day, and that we were willing to share what we had. He ended it with "Thank you all, for letting me speak today."

We'd had 3 kids and a couple youth bear their testimonies that day.

Tomorrow, that young man will be baptised a member.

"Every member a missionary."

At least we dont brainwash our kids (I hope) to sitt quiet and that they are too small and that religion and testimony is grownup business and that they are too stupid to go up in front to say a "testimony".

Yet they should not be pushed to that either. Stil they should be touight waht to say. Many grownups add more than a testimony to their testimony... this teaches the child as many others taht you NEED to say more than your testiomny when you get up there... adn THAT is all wrong. Many grownups dont go as they think everyone expects a lot more than a plaion simple testimony. We should teach a plain simple testimony to people! And leave reast to discusition afte Church or facebook... :) (Oh yes I am quilty too)

Our Bishop told us last Sunday that a testimony should be brief and describe how you feel. He also added that children should not bare their testimony with the help of parents. When I first joined the church I did think it was kinda creepy that parents would hold their kids up and tell them what to say...it did seem kinda like brainwashing. I think there are lots of young children who have a "mature" testimony and I love when they share it.