EQ Lessons

marshac

Hey y'all- I was just given an EQ calling to teach the second Sunday lessons-

This Sunday will be my first time ever giving a lesson, and it's on the creation from the new gospel principles book. For those of you that have given EQ lessons, do you have any tips? How long should I plan for? How much can you stray from the actual topic in the book? I'm having a little bit of a hard time with this one simply because the lesson is literally like two pages long, and one of those pages is a full size image of the world. I have some thoughts about what i'm going to talk about, but i'll post them after I get some unspoiled input from you fine folks. Gracias!

I try not to make it a lesson per se. I try to foster discussion and guide it towards the end goals of the manual. As I study the lesson, I write down thoughts and ideas that I may want to share or ask to stimulate the discussion. In my ward, the lesson time in priesthood is generally 35-40 minutes.

If you have a group that likes to give input, the time will fly by and you may not cover all that you wanted to. If you have a group that sits quietly and listens without saying much, then your task will seem much harder. If you don't have much for ideas to talk about, then sometimes it helps to just have a volunteer read a section and then ask a question related to that section to draw some discussion out. I don't care for the style of a instructor standing up front and teaching, I prefer an instructor who fosters discussion within the group and they teach each other. If you don't have much material to work with, it is perfectly acceptable to go to lds.org and use talks or messages from the Ensign to bolster what you have or bring new viewpoints into the discussion.

My general guideline for planning lessons is to plan 40 minutes of material and aim to use about 10 minutes of it. By that, I mean be ready to lecture for 40 minutes if there's zero participation, but be flexible enough that if there's productive discussion, I'm okay not getting through all the material.

If the lesson takes a course change into something not related to the discussion, but is still an edifying discussion, just let it go. There's no rule that you have to cover the assigned lesson, nor that you have to cover everything in the lesson.

I teach these lessons, as well. I think they're a walk in the park. Each quorum is different, but for mine, I shoot for some depth. With few exceptions, these are return missionaries who have their foundation already. So I take it beyond the fundamentals.

As already posted, discussion is vital. A well taught "lesson" requires minimal input from the teacher. I listen for what they're getting at with their comments and follow what THEY want to explore.

And I always, always, always 'liken the scriptures unto us' and make the topic directly and immediately relevant to us in our lives today - so that those uninterested in minutiae/details can still appreciate the significance of reviewing such a simple topic...

Hey y'all- I was just given an EQ calling to teach the second Sunday lessons-

This Sunday will be my first time ever giving a lesson, and it's on the creation from the new gospel principles book. For those of you that have given EQ lessons, do you have any tips? How long should I plan for? How much can you stray from the actual topic in the book? I'm having a little bit of a hard time with this one simply because the lesson is literally like two pages long, and one of those pages is a full size image of the world. I have some thoughts about what i'm going to talk about, but i'll post them after I get some unspoiled input from you fine folks. Gracias!

I appreciate you starting this thread. I have been a Gospel Doctrine instructor forEVER, and I was recently released only to be called as an EQ instructor. I am used to preparing a LOT of material for GD, and now I am struggling to think of a way to teach on two pages. I haven't read further in the thread, but I look forward to all the replies! Thanks again.

I don't care for the style of a instructor standing up front and teaching, I prefer an instructor who fosters discussion within the group and they teach each other.

I couldn't agree more. I would much rather have everyone sit in a big circle so that we can all "sit at the table," so to speak, and contribute the rich thoughts that people often have.

It is amazing and (to me) edifying to let people open up, when guided by the Spirit, on topics and see what we can all learn from each other.

I am not a big fan of the regurgitation method of teaching and learning.

I wish I could say that the lesson was a smashing success and we all had a vibrant discussion about creation, but it was only marginal, and only a few people felt like talking. I also felt disorganized, and I think that came across as well. Honestly though, i'm not sure how you can talk about the creation for 30min without encroaching into next week's (well, a few weeks due to two conferences) topic- the fall. I found an ensign from 1982 that made a really good observation that creation, the fall, and the atonement are inexorably linked, and that the creation is still relevant even today even though it occurred so long ago. I also briefly contrasted the purpose of creation of my former church (Methodist) compared to the purpose of creation as we as LDS now understand it (plan of salvation, etc). My biggest fear is saying something that's not doctrine and upsetting people- I've only been a member for a little over a year, and my current knowledge is still rudimentary. :)

TOA- a big circle would be nice, but only if everyone around the circle were interested in the topic and/or contributed to it.

I'm currently a 1st C in EQ but have been teaching the lessons since using the GP book as we don't have a teacher for it. January 2010 Ensign contains an article about using this manual. That we should stick to the basics that it teaches and not add to it.

I'm not one for reading word for word which would have only taken 5 minutes since it is 2.5 pages. We have a small attending EQ so we still only took 20 min. I feel the important thing is at the end of each lesson I ask.

This is taught in EQ for a purpose. What does this lesson mean for us as members of the EQ?

I taught GP class for the last 3 years so this is my 4th time through the manual ( i know this is a new version but its pretty much the same lessons.) Yet this weeks I had no inspiration for a tie in and told the class this.

We had a 20 minute discussion on how the creation applied to the EQ.

In our Ward the priesthood is blended so much that the EQ members don't think of being part of one group. Our Home Teaching is one blended list with the HP. We had planned an EQ bowling night for this week, the Bishopric changed it on the calender to a Priesthood one, all service projects and priesthood activities are combined the first Sunday class is always combined with HP etc.

So I find it is needed to get them thinking as a EQ group with a separate mandate from the Lord. Our President wants a strong united EQ but is too nice a guy to stand up to the Bishopric and High Priest Group Leaders over the issue and I have made my position very clear on the topic and is not my calling to push the Presidents desires but to support his efforts.

My advice would be to stick with the lesson manual as the Prophet has counciled specifically for the GP manual and EQ-HP-RS class. Teach it at the basic level and not go deeper into it, ,again as they directed us. Use a chalk board as we retain more by what we see then what we hear. Before we review each section I write the question at the start on the board and we discuss it, then we refer to the lesson simply to validate what is mentioned. And make the lessons relevant to members today and how it relates to the EQ class itself.

The EQ Presidentcy is supposed to meet with a new teacher and review in meeting with them at least every 3 months. There is a teaching manual section from the handbook of instruction two that you are supposed to receive which helps provide direction for teaching classes.

Most of all have fun with it. I enjoy this over all my duties in EQ.

Here is the article that was mentioned earlier:

The New Gospel Principles Manual

A good rule of thumb when teaching is definitely to stick with the text. In this case the text is the manual, so I wouldn't intentionally stray too far away from it. However, another (and better) rule of thumb is to follow the spirit as you teach. The point of these lessons is not for you to stand up and read the book to your brothers. They can do that on their own. The point is for them (and you) to have a spiritual experience and to learn and gain a deeper testimony.

Always prepare your lesson prayerfully, as that will help you to come up with inspired questions and foster discussion that will benefit your students. Don't be afraid of getting off track if that's where the spirit of discussion takes it. Ask follow-up questions to make a person's thoughts personal. For example, if a brother says, "Heavenly Father created all things spiritually before physically," you could ask, "what does it mean to you to have that knowledge?" The comments that a person makes during these lessons are usually broad and basic. You as the teacher can help turn that broad and basic into personal and specific by helping them dig a little deeper--without getting too personal and making it uncomfortable.

This is just personal preference here, but whenever I am asked to teach a lesson or give a talk, I find it helpful to load it up with relevant scriptures. The manual usually lists some, and often quotes them right in the book so that it doesn't have to take five minutes to get someone to read one verse of scripture. But being the basic gospel lessons that these are, the scriptures are generally basic as well. If your class is full of spiritually-mature (I.E. brothers who have been in the church for a while or otherwise have strong testimonies) people, I don't see anything in the book or in the article that has been referenced prohibiting you from looking up more scriptures to back up the point you are making. In fact, I think new and old members alike could benefit from opening their scriptures more often in church.

What I am saying, in short, is that there is no better teacher than the spirit and there is no better textbook than the scriptures. The manual should be your guide in creating a lesson tailored to the people whom you are called to teach. The lessons are the basic foundations of the gospel presented in a simple manner, but this does not mean that the spiritual experiences of your brethren need to be basic and simple.

Just pray like crazy and follow the spirit. You'll do fine :D

I wish I could say that the lesson was a smashing success and we all had a vibrant discussion about creation, but it was only marginal, and only a few people felt like talking. I also felt disorganized, and I think that came across as well. Honestly though, i'm not sure how you can talk about the creation for 30min without encroaching into next week's (well, a few weeks due to two conferences) topic- the fall. I found an ensign from 1982 that made a really good observation that creation, the fall, and the atonement are inexorably linked, and that the creation is still relevant even today even though it occurred so long ago. I also briefly contrasted the purpose of creation of my former church (Methodist) compared to the purpose of creation as we as LDS now understand it (plan of salvation, etc). My biggest fear is saying something that's not doctrine and upsetting people- I've only been a member for a little over a year, and my current knowledge is still rudimentary. :)

TOA- a big circle would be nice, but only if everyone around the circle were interested in the topic and/or contributed to it.

Everyone has their method – Personally when I prepare any lesson (or study form myself) of things based on what is taught in scripture, I personally prefer the approach of Nephi. That is to “liken” the scriptures unto ourselves. I like to ask questions like – what prophesies concerning our day can be learned from studying the scriptures teaching of the creation?

I teach a primary class and the lesson on the creation turned out to be one of the most exciting and interesting lessons I have ever taught. Children tend to be much less inhibited than adults.

The Traveler

I wish I could say that the lesson was a smashing success and we all had a vibrant discussion about creation, but it was only marginal, and only a few people felt like talking.

Sometimes we can get so used to having boring lessons with given to us, that we lose the power of creative thought when given the chance for a vibrant discussion. Not all is lost, since people can regain this ability with practice.

Sometimes we can get so used to having boring lessons with given to us, that we lose the power of creative thought when given the chance for a vibrant discussion. Not all is lost, since people can regain this ability with practice.

...says Moksha, as the quorum studiously and somberly inspects the tops of their shoes for lint and scuffs.

Dont think that just because some are being quiet or seem disengaged that they are not soaking up the lesson. Also, take note of who is not participating...could be a first clue in discovering which of your brothers may need a boost of encouragement. When I dont participate its because I have other stuff on my mind.