Birth Control

lizzy12

I'm not married...and not going to try anything in case your wondering but I was curios

What is the LDS view on birth control ? Isnt Birth Control kind of like an Abortion ? Both are involving a life/will be baby...

EDIT//

Opps..sorry..this probably goes in LDS Gospel Discussion...Mod's could you move it ?

END EDIT//

Edited by lizzy12

Actually...................birth control and abortion are very different.

"The "Pill" prevents pregnancy in three ways, 1- they prevent ovulation (aka the woman doesn't release an egg)...2-the cervix thickens with mucus making it more difficult for sperm to enter the uterus to swim up and fertilize the egg and 3- It changes the uterine lining so if an egg does happen to become fertilized, it will have difficulty implanting on the uterine wall and will likely pass with the woman's next period."

Abortion happens after fertilization.

It is my understanding that the church leaves birth control and its use or lack of use up to the couple.

I found an old bishop's handbook, I think, that said we are against birth control because we should welcome children into our home, within reason. Meaning, I thought, that we shouldn't use birth control so that we never have kids, but that we should try to have children - the number is up to the couple and prayer. It is a very personal choice.

The birth control pill messes up a lot of women's hormones, though. I wish I had never used it. I would much rather have used other barrier methods that don't mess with your brain and moods. I know plenty of women that hate the birth control pill because it makes them way too moody, gain weight, and cause infertility. Because some women, when they go off of it to have a baby, have trouble getting their cycle back to normal and then experience infertility. All the doctors will tell you that it doesn't mess up women's cycles, because it doesn't mess up all women, but I would guess a good 10 to 20 percent of us go whacko on it and after taking it are all messed up.

I found an old bishop's handbook, I think, that said we are against birth control because we should welcome children into our home, within reason. Meaning, I thought, that we shouldn't use birth control so that we never have kids, but that we should try to have children - the number is up to the couple and prayer. It is a very personal choice.

The birth control pill messes up a lot of women's hormones, though. I wish I had never used it. I would much rather have used other barrier methods that don't mess with your brain and moods. I know plenty of women that hate the birth control pill because it makes them way too moody, gain weight, and cause infertility. Because some women, when they go off of it to have a baby, have trouble getting their cycle back to normal and then experience infertility. All the doctors will tell you that it doesn't mess up women's cycles, because it doesn't mess up all women, but I would guess a good 10 to 20 percent of us go whacko on it and after taking it are all messed up.

I would have to disagree on some measure....as there have been numerous birthcontrol babies. As one who suffers from infertility I was never on the pill.

Once again I shall post what it says on lds.org.

Children are one of the greatest blessings in life, and their birth into loving and nurturing families is central to God’s purposes for humanity. When husband and wife are physically able, they have the privilege and responsibility to bring children into the world and to nurture them. The decision of how many children to have and when to have them is a private matter for the husband and wife.

God has a plan for the happiness of all who live on the earth, and the birth of children in loving families is central to His plan. The first commandment He gave to Adam and Eve was to “be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth” (Genesis 1:28). The scriptures declare, “Children are a heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Those who are physically able have the blessing, joy, and obligation to bear children and to raise a family. This blessing should not be postponed for selfish reasons.

Sexual relations within marriage are not only for the purpose of procreation, but also a means of expressing love and strengthening emotional and spiritual ties between husband and wife.

Husband and wife are encouraged to pray and counsel together as they plan their families. Issues to consider include the physical and mental health of the mother and father and their capacity to provide the basic necessities of life for their children.

Decisions about birth control and the consequences of those decisions rest solely with each married couple. Elective abortion as a method of birth control, however, is contrary to the commandments of God.

Official LDS stance on birth control:

Children are one of the greatest blessings in life, and their birth into loving and nurturing families is central to God’s purposes for humanity. When husband and wife are physically able, they have the privilege and responsibility to bring children into the world and to nurture them. The decision of how many children to have and when to have them is a private matter for the husband and wife.

God has a plan for the happiness of all who live on the earth, and the birth of children in loving families is central to His plan. The first commandment He gave to Adam and Eve was to “be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth” (Genesis 1:28). The scriptures declare, “Children are a heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Those who are physically able have the blessing, joy, and obligation to bear children and to raise a family. This blessing should not be postponed for selfish reasons.

Sexual relations within marriage are not only for the purpose of procreation, but also a means of expressing love and strengthening emotional and spiritual ties between husband and wife.

Husband and wife are encouraged to pray and counsel together as they plan their families. Issues to consider include the physical and mental health of the mother and father and their capacity to provide the basic necessities of life for their children.

Decisions about birth control and the consequences of those decisions rest solely with each married couple. Elective abortion as a method of birth control, however, is contrary to the commandments of God.

Source

Places birth control has been discussed extensively on this forum:

http://www.lds.net/forums/advice-board/29812-lds-stance-birth-control.html

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/19770-birth-control.html

http://www.lds.net/forums/open-discussion/10946-birth-control.html (this is in the open forum and you must be over 18 to be granted access)

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/5745-birth-control.html

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/721-birth-control.html

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/1059-birth-control.html

:deadhorse:

(So Pam beat me to it on the official stance. Can't hurt to post it twice, though.)

Balance and responsible decision-making are hallmarks of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Yes, we are to bring as many spirit children as possible into loving homes filled with the Gospel... but to just crank 'em out is irresponsible and detrimental to all involved.

Edit: hmmmm, methinks wingnut just outran me... Here I am, all alone in my irrelevancy again...

Edited by Prodigal_Son
Wingnut out posted me.

I would have to disagree on some measure....as there have been numerous birthcontrol babies. As one who suffers from infertility I was never on the pill.

I think it's going to be different for everyone; but my wife had an experience (with "the shot") very like what Crazypotato describes. Messed her up for two years.

Think, talk, and pray about it as it pertains to your own family. It may be entirely appropriate; but if you start feeling some bad ju-ju about it--listen to your gut.

2-the cervix thickens with mucus making it more difficult for sperm to enter the uterus to swim up and fertilize the egg

The cervix produces its own mucus throughout a typical cycle, with its consistency changing as ovulation approaches. Sperm can stay alive in fertile-quality cervical fluid for up to five days. If anything, birth control should be designed to cause a woman to not produce mucus in the cervical region, thus creating a hostile environment for sperm.

The cervix produces its own mucus throughout a typical cycle, with its consistency changing as ovulation approaches. Sperm can stay alive in fertile-quality cervical fluid for up to five days. If anything, birth control should be designed to cause a woman to not produce mucus in the cervical region, thus creating a hostile environment for sperm.

The human body naturally produces mucus to aid in protecting it against bacteria and viruses. The thickening of mucus in the cervix in one way in trying to prevent pregnancy.

M.

The human body naturally produces mucus to aid in protecting it against bacteria and viruses. The thickening of mucus in the cervix in one way in trying to prevent pregnancy.

M.

I just gotta say that all this talk of mucus would be mildly effective at trying to prevent pregnancy if used at the right moment. :)

• 1 year later...

The first two birth control pills I was on caused my acne to increase. I did switch to a different one (my third one) and have had no problems. I have experience a little weight gain with the pill but not much. You can still get pregnant on the pill and definitely once you stop taking it. My friend got pregnant right after she stopped using the pill.

As far as the view goes here is from lds.org, gospel topics-birth control:

Here is the link: Birth Control

It does not say as of currently on lds.org- gospel topics- birth control as wingnut said: Those who are physically able have the blessing, joy, and obligation to bear children and to raise a family. This blessing should not be postponed for selfish reasons.

Not sure where wingnut got that though I know that has been said by President Kimball and other older propehts.

Some members are against it and others are for it. The vast majority of members I know are for birth control. I only know a few who are against it. My husband and I personally are for birth control and use it. It is up to the couple to decide and is very personal.

It drives me crazy how some members judge other members regarding if they use birth control, how many kids they have, when they have their kids. That is not Christ-like to judge like that.

I have a book called Principles of the Gospel; no I don't mean Gospel Principles. Those are two totally different books. McConkie was rather harsh about it in Mormon Doctrine, which I have the 2nd edition, but Principles of the Gospel really helps with this issue. Although we're to multiply and replenish the earth, it also says that the welfare of the wife is the most important thing for a husband. If the woman's health is an issue then there's no problem with it.

The book I'm talking about is really good. It goes into some good detail about many different things.

M.

I apologize, I didn't see this earlier.

Cervical fluid, or mucus, actually can be an aid to pregnancy, not a hindrance. At least, this is true during the period leading up to ovulation. The composition of the cervical fluid changes in the days before ovulation, making it hospitable to sperm. After ovulation, the composition of the fluid falls toward the inhospitable and remains that way until preparing for ovulation on the following cycle.

Most people (including myself until just now) generally consider "cervical fluid" to be the composition friendly to sperm. This is probably because at this stage, the mucus has observable qualities, whereas the qualities of the infertile mucus are not so apparent.

Cervix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a non-LDS, non-Evangelical perspective. In fact, it's basically prisonchaplain's viewpoint. When we first married we had no qualms about birth control. It was an available technology, and you're not killing if life has not started. However, when it came to WHICH TYPE to use, we had difficulties. Without going into great detail, we ended up using "Catholic" methods--the calendar, etc. As a result, there were no side effects, and we felt good about the all-natural approach. We still had our agency, but we certainly left room for God's intervention.

When the time came to switch from prevention to procreation, we found those ovulation tests very successful. We were already calendar-aware, so the transition was fairly easy.

I would not insist that everyone must be all natural in this regard. However, I am confident that doing so pleases God. Further, be aware that some forms of birth control are, in fact, very early abortions. They prevent a conceived egg from progressing.