Did Glen Beck "step in it?"

prisonchaplain

Fair or not, Glen Beck is seen by some as a "conservative Mormon commentator." He may not be an official voice, but then again, most non-LDS aren't looking for such a seal of approval. So, to the question. As Beck himself has admitted, LDS doctrine is different from that of "traditional Christianity." He says that appeals to him, but he's most happy that millions are satisfied by the traditional teachings. Let's just be open-minded and tolerant of each other.

And then, on March 2nd, he encourages his audience, so many of whom are traditional Christians, to exit their "social justice churches." Even if I agreed with him, he's not the person to deliver that message. He wants traditional folk to accept him and his differences, even if they disagree. Let's see the good in each other, and agree to disagree on the rest. And then, he tells a segment of traditional Christians to abandon their houses of worship. In discussing this with friends, they suggested that this little episode will likey damage Mitt Romney, more than anything. Thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol personally, Glen Beck boils my blood and I am absolutely disgusted that people see him as a representative of the LDS people and church. On far too many occasions he has been intolerant, inconsiderate, and down right rude and I hate that people associate him with my LDS beliefs. I think that he ought to just call it quits. I, and many other LDS people I know, do not agree with ANYTHING he has to say on his offensive show and don't appreciate him voicing his opinion in such a manner that it makes it look like the opinion of the church......lol anyhow, thats just my little rant on the subject :)

Lol personally, Glen Beck boils my blood and I am absolutely disgusted that people see him as a representative of the LDS people and church. On far too many occasions he has been intolerant, inconsiderate, and down right rude and I hate that people associate him with my LDS beliefs. I think that he ought to just call it quits. I, and many other LDS people I know, do not agree with ANYTHING he has to say on his offensive show and don't appreciate him voicing his opinion in such a manner that it makes it look like the opinion of the church......lol anyhow, thats just my little rant on the subject :)

Glenn Beck is an entertainer. Do I find him entertaining....not especially. Do I think he is a bit over the top...yes, but that is his schtick. People get offended WAY to easy...chill out, it's a program designed to inform and entertain from HIS point of view. Just as Rachel Maddow or Keith Olbeirman are over the top...they have their audience...all be it small.

His personal conversion story is really awesome and I think he is a great story for the church....politics aside.

Edited by bytor2112

Dravin, it's my understanding that some churches believe that lobbying for social and economic justice is part of their mission from God. That, from Beck's point of view, translates to lobbying for liberal government programs, progressive "Robin Hood" taxation, and, ultimately (again Beck's POV) Naziism/Communism. My guess is that he would see the sermons by Obama's former pastor, railing against the government and whites as part and parcel of social justice preaching.

So, his message was, get out of those churches. They don't preach religion, but liberal politics. So, get out of them.

And again, I might even sympathize with his suggestion. However, for a Mormon political entertaining to urge tolerance towards his religion, while telling some Protestants to leave their churches strikes me as being inconsistent.

And again, I might even sympathize with his suggestion. However, for a Mormon political entertaining to urge tolerance towards his religion, while telling some Protestants to leave their churches strikes me as being inconsistent.

I suppose I can understand that. If an evangelical told me to go find myself another Ward because the leadership was preaching conservatism not the Gospel I'd probably give them a weird look.

His personal conversion story is really awesome and I think he is a great story for the church....politics aside.

“I apologize, but guys will understand this. My wife is, like, hot, and she wouldn’t have sex with me until we got married. And she wouldn’t marry me unless we had a religion.”

I asked Tania Beck about that. She laughed, saying, “He’s not joking.”

"Who Is Glenn Beck" -- John Stossel

... don't appreciate him voicing his opinion in such a manner that it makes it look like the opinion of the church.

Make us look like a Church that values greed and selfishness above all else.

That is the problem with trying to make religion and right-wing politics into the same thing. They are separate. They don't belong together and one taints the other. Our world wide mission is hindered by an identification with special interest politics - especially when such politics embrace the selfish and the greedy, the very antithesis of Christianity.

Make us look like a Church that values greed and selfishness above all else.

That is the problem with trying to make religion and right-wing politics into the same thing. They are separate. They don't belong together and one taints the other. Our world wide mission is hindered by an identification with special interest politics - especially when such politics embrace the selfish and the greedy, the very antithesis of Christianity.

those mean right wingers.....they should be more righteous like those left wingers....:eek::eek:

“I apologize, but guys will understand this. My wife is, like, hot, and she wouldn’t have sex with me until we got married. And she wouldn’t marry me unless we had a religion.”

This hardly seems like a fair characterization. Let me see if I'm reading between the lines properly. Glenn Beck became a Mormon so his girl friend would marry him, so he could ... well, you know? IMHO, we can do better.

I actually like Glenn for the most part. He's mostly in agreement with me on the major issues. And, as I hinted at, I might indeed agree with his encouragement of some Christians to leave churches that have been co-opted by liberal politics. It just doesn't seem appropriate for him to deliver that message, given that he's not a Protestant, and that he also asks those Protestants who listen to him to at least tolerate his own religious uniqueness.

Beck's conversion story seemed heartfelt to me when I watched it. That he initially may have been trying to appease his girl-interest does not take away from the end result. How many people have wandered into churches hoping for some kind of handout, and then ended up joining when they got more than they bargained for?

Honestly I love Beck and Rush! I think he is a entertainer and does and says a lot of things for shock value...obviously it is working because we are talking about him here! I also think people are too easy offended and if someone offends you it is because you let them. I tend to be extremely conservative and I think Beck and Rush say things that other people are afraid to say out loud but think. I would agree also though that I do not think it is appropriate for Beck to tell people to leave their Church but if you don't like it simply don't watch it.

those mean right wingers.....they should be more righteous like those left wingers....:eek::eek:

You would think so considering how often they wrap themselves in a religious covering.

Well, even wrapped in the clothes of the Lamb, you can sense a Brooks Brothers suit underneath.

This hardly seems like a fair characterization. Let me see if I'm reading between the lines properly. Glenn Beck became a Mormon so his girl friend would marry him, so he could ... well, you know? IMHO, we can do better.

I actually like Glenn for the most part. He's mostly in agreement with me on the major issues. And, as I hinted at, I might indeed agree with his encouragement of some Christians to leave churches that have been co-opted by liberal politics. It just doesn't seem appropriate for him to deliver that message, given that he's not a Protestant, and that he also asks those Protestants who listen to him to at least tolerate his own religious uniqueness.

Beck's conversion story seemed heartfelt to me when I watched it. That he initially may have been trying to appease his girl-interest does not take away from the end result. How many people have wandered into churches hoping for some kind of handout, and then ended up joining when they got more than they bargained for?

hmmmm...I pull one statement out of an obscure reference and blow it out of proportion and you're going to complain that it's an unfair characterization?

Where could I possibly have learned that?

Truth be told, I saw bytor's statement, remembered having read Beck's quote, and just couldn't help myself.

You would think so considering how often they wrap themselves in a religious covering.

Well, even wrapped in the clothes of the Lamb, you can sense a Brooks Brothers suit underneath.

The dems were after Rush...can we now say they are after Beck....now they would never do anything like that would they?? not the left...:)

He has a chapter in one of his books..."Why I am a Mormon". It's a fantastic story...belittle if you will.

I should note that I am not a Beck fan....I find him irritating...way to doom and gloom. But, I did find his story as portrayed in his book about how he came to the Gospel fascinating and touching.

The dems were after Rush...can we now say they are after Beck....now they would never do anything like that would they?? not the left...:)

Imagine the nerve of those Dems!!! It is not like Rush or Beck spend every broadcast day attacking them (or anyone else). Now even those religion people are getting in on the act of questioning Beck - simply for suggesting that their parishioners should leave the flock if the parish supports social justice.

Imagine the nerve of those Dems!!! It is not like Rush or Beck spend every broadcast day attacking them (or anyone else). Now even those religion people are getting in on the act of questioning Beck - simply for suggesting that their parishioners should leave the flock if the parish supports social justice.

oh come on...remove your blindfold....lets see....CNN...MSNBC....CBS....ABC.....how may more liberal outlets do you want???? They all attack republicans day in and day out....your Dems are not any better ....they stink on both sides of the aisle

Edited by Palerider

Guest Godless

Dravin, it's my understanding that some churches believe that lobbying for social and economic justice is part of their mission from God. That, from Beck's point of view, translates to lobbying for liberal government programs, progressive "Robin Hood" taxation, and, ultimately (again Beck's POV) Naziism/Communism. My guess is that he would see the sermons by Obama's former pastor, railing against the government and whites as part and parcel of social justice preaching.

So, his message was, get out of those churches. They don't preach religion, but liberal politics. So, get out of them.

What about the churches that support conservative agendas? Should they be abandoned as well? Personally, I say yes (and I agree that liberal politics have no place in a church either, btw). But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Beck to say so.

"I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words."

"Am I advising people to leave their church? Yes! If I am going to Jeremiah Wright's church (a reference to President Barack Obama's former Chicago pastor). If you have a priest that is pushing social justice, go find another parish. Go alert your bishop." - Glenn Beck

oh come on...remove your blindfold....lets see....CNN...MSNBC....CBS....ABC.....how may more liberal outlets do you want???? They all attack republicans day in and day out....you Dems are not any better ....

Pale, you miss the point completely. See FOX has partisan, biased commentator-wannabes, whereas those outlets you mentioned have professional, well-educated, news reporters, just bubbling with objectivity. See...who says sarcasm is sophomoric humor? :D