Mormons and video games

ahriik

In my ward, a lot of the youth play video games. Xbox, Playstation, PC, you name it. We play all kinds of games, from Guitar Hero/Rock Band to Halo. We do occasional parties where video games are involved, and one of my fellow deacons owns a variety of vintage arcade games. Anyway, I find that enjoy playing certain games that my parents don't seem to like. For example, I love playing Doom, Quake, and the Halo games. I also play a little Modern Warfare every now and again. But my parents do not like these games. "violent" and "evil" and some words used by them to describe the games I play. I know for a fact that a Mormon, Sandy Peterson, was one of the creators of Doom and Quake. Anyway, I just wanted to get some opinions from other Latter Day Saints. Are some of the games I play bad? I am not offended by the violence, and I despise games with sexual content or heavy swearing. I just find first person shooters very fun.

I always find it interesting how parents (and not just LDS parents either) are horrified and shocked and will refuse to let their kids see any videos that may contain 5 seconds of some minor nudity (ex: women's breasts), yet they'll let their kids do virtual killings hour after hour after hour and that's O.K. I'm still trying to understand the logic behind that.

I think parents often fear a type of desensitization. They fear that you will play things that have violence in them, and then think because of those games, that violence is ok. And there is something to it. If you don't see something violent, if you are shielded from it, then when you do see something violent it seems horrifying to you. However, on the other end of the spectrum, if you expose yourself to violence often, then when you see something violent it will often not bother you, as it seems commonplace.

Are those games evil? Probably not. Are they violent? Probably. Your parents sound like they are just trying to protect you and your sensitivity to such things. It is really up to you whether you choose to listen to them or not.

I'm not LDS but if you despise swearing how do you play FPS games online? Do you mute everyone? Because a lot of people have mics and basically all they do is cuss, talk about smoking weed, or make racist remarks.

I think it comes down to your own conscience, how important gaming is to you (is it part of how you socialize for example), and if there are other just as good alternatives to spend your time on. Good luck.

The scriptures warn us about two major sins: sexual sin and violence. The earth was destroyed by flood because the people had become violent.

Mormon and Moroni described their people in the last days as being sexually perverse (raping the captive girls) and violent (eating the flesh of their raped victims). They slept on their swords and loved violence.

Latter day revelation warns us about the violence to come. Viewing too much violence does desensitize people (studies are very clear on that). While violent scenes should shock and sadden the heart, many people today laugh and joke about violence they see. Our prisons are full of people addicted to sex and violence, enhanced by drugs and alcohol.

So, I would be very careful on the amount of violence allowed in a home, just as I would be careful on other dangers.

Violence and sex are part of everyone's mortal existence (nobody here was born without at least one of these things occuring at some point). To the extent that portrayals of such bring us closer to God, they're good. To the extent that they push us farther from God, they're not so good.

My rule of thumb says that since Satan has a lot of influence in this world, the ratio most of us encounter is about 1,000 bad to 2-3 good. The trick is to find the two or three, and reject the thousand.

LM

I grew up in the action hero days. Arnold, Sly, Van Damn, Segal etc etc and was never shielded from this violence. I love horror film and Slasher film, I play games so violent they make halo look like Mario cart. Yet to this day when i see actual (real life) violence, blood and guts i am disgusted.

My wife on the other hand, who doesn't like those sorts of things, can work on a moped vs car head on victim weeks after buying her husband a motorcycle, treat a fatal gun shot wound, bring a child , the same age as her own, back to life and talk about it over dinner the same way another person would discuss the weather. It is her job. She is desensitized

So based on my personal experiences i can say violence has not desensitized me , I can tell the difference between real and make believe. My wife, who deals with the real thing is desensitized. And neither of us are more violent ourselves because of exposure.

But as a parent i say listen to your parents. A wise women once told me

"When your 18 you can do what you want, until then i make the rules" Hordaks Mom

We do occasional parties where video games are involved, and one of my fellow deacons owns a variety of vintage arcade games.

Video Game parties. Like a tupperware party. I would hope the parents know what these parties are?

Anyway, I find that enjoy playing certain games that my parents don't seem to like. For example, I love playing Doom, Quake, and the Halo games.

You have to look at this from your parent’s point of view. I'm sure you have explained to them you go around killing (shooting) others with a gun or a rocket launcher. You end up saying you "like" this stuff. This does kind of freak our your parents. Why would you like this? Did we raise some strange kid that likes killing people?

Now, I think if you explain it’s not the kill you really like, it’s the challenge of really being better then the game, or better than others. I have been playing video games for a way long time. I have never played video games because they are bloody. I play video games for the challenge of winning. Be it getting the most kills, or being first in the race, to me they are pretty much the same thing.

The way I kind of look at it is playing a computer in chess. Back in the day when Doom was big, there was also big deal of chess games. You play it to beat the computer! Now the question is, should you play these types of game?

I also play a little Modern Warfare every now and again. But my parents do not like these games. "violent" and "evil" and some words used by them to describe the games I play.

This is the next part. Can we still have the challenge of a video game without having the violent and or evil of it. This day and age they kind of have been mixed together. Back in the day I had game called Mortal Kombat 3 for the Super NES. I was actually really good at it. At the time I was probably a priest. But my neighbors would come over and play it. I'm not a violent person (even though I don't have muchpatience). When I saw my neighbor kids playing it, who were younger than me, I saw when they lost that they were quick to get angry. I noticed that even though it didn’t seem like this affected me. I realize there are some people that are affected by it.

I don't think we can ever find any excuse that video games don't affect us. I think when we play them and enjoy them its going to effect us in some manner. Now at your age (being a Deacon) I think you are going to have to trust your parents. I don't know if that is a complete ban on the games, but I think you should limit them. To me it seems like kids want to play these games because all the adults are. That you want to be a big kid, so you play the games. Trust me, there will still be these games around when you are an adult.

I know for a fact that a Mormon, Sandy Peterson, was one of the creators of Doom and Quake.

There are plenty of Mormons that have probably done bad things. Being a mormon doesn't mean you are going to make all the right choices.

I am not offended by the violence, and I despise games with sexual content or heavy swearing.

This is where I kind of wonder if Satan is in the mix. Satan always wants us to cross the line. He knows he is not going to get all of us to cross it, but he might just get us a little closer to it. As you have probably have seen more and more of these video games mix violence, sexual content and swearing more and more. Its hard to get one without the other. I honestly think Satan probably does know this. He knows he is never going to get me in a room full of people swearing. But he knows he can get me to play a game that has swearing in it.

I think the key is to watch yourself. To in a way follow the spirit. There are limits I have in video games. The problem is, sometimes even I don't have the courage to turn them off when I should! But set a limit!

The battle goes on.

I see what you are saying. I think most of you misunderstand. I will never play a video game with sexual content or really heavy swearing. I hate that stuff; it's just not good at all. I do not like the blood/gore in Doom, what I mean is that it's a really fun game, and I like the challenges, not the gore. Maybe you misunderstood when I say I'm not offended by the gore. what i mean is that it is not affecting my personality. my friends think I'm nice, cuz I dont swear and I hardly ever act mean.

My quorum leaders dont like us to play videogames. I think that videogames are a good way to just relax once in awhile with family and friends but at organized church activities?

sometimes videogames can be a good thing. They let you go into a world where you can do anything you basically want without actually hurting anybody in the real world. I do agree though that some games go just a little too far with the gore and violence. There are titles out there though that arent even bad most of which are nintendo titles. Honestly some of the best memorys ive had with friends and family is playing games such as Mario Kart and Halo. i dont think its very appropriate for a quorum game night to be playing games like halo because you have many different kids that come from different family rules on videogames. If you have the parents consent i think it would be fun to have perhaps a mariokart tournament as that game is fun for all ages.

videogames can be a very fun activity to do but it really depends on what your playing and who else is playing it

I do not agree with parents letting kids that are as young as 6 years old play rated M games. but if your a mature young adult that can handle the games content and wont get addicted or wierd about it then go for it.

Parents should always moniter what their children are playing though.

Edited by Mack13

Back in the 1980s when I just started using computers, I played the video game Thermo-Nuclear War. But then the Department of Defense shut me down. They said they wouldn't let me use their computers in Cheyenne Mountain to play it. I then asked, "how about a game of chess?" and they still said no.

(sigh) I guess it is just as well, as Reagan ended up beating the Soviets without firing a shot.

I agree with Dravin.

That being said, I've been playing video games since I was a child. Atari, 286 PC, NES, SNES, Genesis, Playstation, PC Games, Playstation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii. I have played and completed hundreds and hundreds of games and I can honestly say that most of the success I have in my work has been due to the influence gaming has had on me; especially PC gaming. It led me to learn all about computer maintenance and repair, building custom PCs, broadband internet and networking, Home Video and Audio, low voltage wiring and many other subjects.

I don't feel that it's any different than someone watching movies, reading books, listening to music, etc. Just about anything can become an unhealthy habit. If it gets to the point where it is interfering with you living a healthy life than it is bad for you. I have friends who have serious issues with games causing problems in their lives and others that love games and understand when it can get out of hand.

To say video games as a whole are bad is a bit myopic in my opinion. I like to stick to the following:

Moroni 7:14-16

15 For behold, my brethren, it is given unto you to judge, that ye may know good from evil; and the way to judge is as plain, that ye may know with a perfect knowledge, as the daylight is from the dark night.

16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

17 But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.

Guest The_Doctor

In my ward, a lot of the youth play video games. Xbox, Playstation, PC, you name it. We play all kinds of games, from Guitar Hero/Rock Band to Halo. We do occasional parties where video games are involved, and one of my fellow deacons owns a variety of vintage arcade games. Anyway, I find that enjoy playing certain games that my parents don't seem to like. For example, I love playing Doom, Quake, and the Halo games. I also play a little Modern Warfare every now and again. But my parents do not like these games. "violent" and "evil" and some words used by them to describe the games I play. I know for a fact that a Mormon, Sandy Peterson, was one of the creators of Doom and Quake. Anyway, I just wanted to get some opinions from other Latter Day Saints. Are some of the games I play bad? I am not offended by the violence, and I despise games with sexual content or heavy swearing. I just find first person shooters very fun.

I personally draw the line at sexual themes. It doesn't matter the rating, I won't get it.

And with violence it depends what's getting killed. If it's M for violence and I'm killing humans, I won't play it. Story also effects my view of the violence. I don't like Halo because of the gore. The story is what holds my interest. If it had no story I wouldn't play it.

Edited by The_Doctor

I actually play video games a lot, I mean a LOT my family is full of major video game players, with maybe 5 people I know well who don't play them a lot. I think video games are ok, I mainly play mario, legend of zelda, stuff like that, but I've also played games like Demon's Souls and Dragons Age Origins for the PS3. I've even played through most (if not all) of the campaigns of the three halo games, and two Grand Theft Auto games (can't remember which ones) these are just off the top of my head, I've actually played tons of videogames and used to spend almost all of my free time infront of a screen mashing buttons...

Anyway I think I'm getting of track here...Gotta remember my point...

Generally I don't think video games are bad, playing a fun game with friends, or enjoying a good story of a medieval fantasy rpg, seems fine. The problem is with Grand Theft Auto games and stuff like that. If a game allows you to hang out with friends or enjoy a great story, or just provides a fun challenge, that's good, if it inspires thoughts of violence, killing, or something obviously bad, then you shouldn't play it. The problem is most games are leaning more towards killing and sex and stuff. Dragons Age Origins has a lot of stuff that made me feel uncomfortable, they didn't show any nudity but they come REALLY close at points. The problem is that though I didn't want to play it because of the parts that made me uncomfortable, the storyline kept me playing for quite a while, it wasn't until I saw my dad kill the boss and see the ending for his character that I managed to stop wanting to play the game so much...

ANYWAY, point is that you need to be careful playing video games, and avoid ones that show inappropriate(spelling?) content or that inspire anger. Because of this I usually stick to Nintendo games, but even some of those can be bad too. I don't think videogames should be completely banned or anything though, and one day I hope to become a game programmer. My friends and I have even made a goal of one day making our own awesome videogame that would be safe for children to play, but still totally awesome.

anyway, guess I'm done with my rant, let me know if I should edit some stuff out, feel like I typed to much, but I do this a lot sometimes...

I have played all those games and the only problem I had was that I am not into FPS games :Þ Though I'll admit, I enjoyed Modern Warfare much more than my husband did.. That was a real shocker.

But you just have to use your own good judgment with these sort of things. I guess an easy way to do this would be to think of it in a sense of "WWJD?". Would He sit down and play Modern Warfare? Probably not. But I'm sure He'd love Guitar Hero or Rock Band cos those are just addictive. But then again, maybe not because assuming an addiction would be falling for temptation. So looking at the overall picture, Jesus probably would just stay away from these sort of things all together. :P But that's all speculation of course because who really knows?

Mildly off topic here, but if any of you play WOW or any of the other games MB (Mormon Batallion) https://www.mormonbattalion.cc/ is into, there are a group of cool cats you can play. I played with them for a while on their ally server, before I quit World of Warcraft (way too time consuming), but I'd recommend their company. They play a lot of games though as a group, wow is just their main.

Edit:

Also on the WWJD comment, that is open to speculation. In the times of Christ, people were being nailed to wood, tortured, fed to lions ect ect on a daily basis. These things still happen today. I doubt video games are even a scratch on your lords mind. Perhaps a better argument would be, if you have so much free time, a better place to spend it would be mission work.

Edited by Nikki_Elaine

• 1 month later...
Guest The_Doctor

Also on the WWJD comment, that is open to speculation. In the times of Christ, people were being nailed to wood, tortured, fed to lions ect ect on a daily basis. These things still happen today. I doubt video games are even a scratch on your lords mind. Perhaps a better argument would be, if you have so much free time, a better place to spend it would be mission work.

Don't forget the stonings.

But as a parent i say listen to your parents. A wise women once told me

"When your 18 you can do what you want, until then i make the rules" Hordaks Mom

Awesome!! I was about to give him this same advice. My friend plays all kinds of games (A lot worse than the ones you mentioned) however, he was one of the first marines in Iraq back in 03' to this day he can play these games, but if a car back fires.. watch out. My advice- listen to your parents until you have a home of your own :)

I personally dont have an issue with video games. as long as everyone realizes that there is an outside world still. Ive played many video games growing up (i recently bought an xbox 360, this is the one of the only ways i can talk with my brother) but I still made time to play sports in school, go to college and do everything else. I dont play as much as i used to so sometimes i wonder why i bought the xbox. I like war games (modern warfare 2, halo etc. but also racing games) I dont believe video games will make you want to kill someone if you played saints row 2 for thousands of hours. I just think kids use music and games as an excuse when they go out and do bad things. Ive played all these games kids play that kills and everything else, i never once had anykind of thought about doing it to anyone else. but also if you are a kid you should listen to your parents, their rules and whatever they want. If they dont want you playing certain games (or games at all) you should respect it. You dont have to have one just because everyone else has one. I just wanted to give a little in the matter lol. have a good day everyone.