Dear LDS.net Users, Tampons, baptisms and safety ?

lizzy12

Not exactly sure what category this goes in....:confused:

I heard that we aren't supposed to go into the baptismal font when we are on our period even

WITH a tampon for health reasons...is this true ?

I think its a rumor b/c if God gave us this gift surely he wouldnt want the work to be post pond b/c of it..

and I also heard that using a tampon is worse for you then a pad. Is better if your body drips the blood b/c its natural rather then having something go up there....

and..

do you say " i'm using a tampon." or " I'm wearing a tampon."

I think i say using....

Love, Liz

Not exactly sure what category this goes in....:confused:

I heard that we aren't supposed to go into the baptismal font when we are on our period even

WITH a tampon for health reasons...is this true ?

I think its a rumor b/c if God gave us this gift surely he wouldnt want the work to be post pond b/c of it..

the font water is kept warm for comfort reasons. which means it's a good place for germs to grow. yes they use all the appropriate chemicals to clean it and meet all safety requirements. however as an extra precaution they ask that girls/women on their periods not do baptisms. for the health of everyone not the girl. as for the work not progressing it's only a few days, you can also go and do confirmations only so the work will go forward.

and I also heard that using a tampon is worse for you then a pad. Is better if your body drips the blood b/c its natural rather then having something go up there....

tampons always run the risk of toxic shock, read the caution insert you get inside your box of tampons. anytime the body is trying to expel something it's always best if you let that process happen. so yes pads are "better" at letting the body clear out. used appropriately tampons are considered safe. i have another thought on this but what i've said is enough and don't need to upset anyone with being to descriptive. lol

and..

do you say " i'm using a tampon." or " I'm wearing a tampon."

I think i say using....

Love, Liz

i think the appropriate terminology is "using"

edit: i moved this thread to rs and women's issues :)

Edited by Gwen

I've never heard of this. I've done baptisms a couple of times while on my period, I wear tampons so it's not like anyone would have known to tell me otherwise. I've never had a tampon leak or anything, so long as you change them frequently (like you are supposed to) there is no reason it would even touch the water in the font or the baptismal jumpsuits.

I've never heard this rule before. Is this a rule at every temple? I'll avoid doing it if it's an actual rule at all temples.

I remember an announcement being made when I was in YW and planning for a temple trip that the temple had requested anyone ON their period regardless of the feminine product used refrain from doing baptisms and only participate in confirmations, but that's still just what I heard one time years ago and in the context of a youth temple trip. I don't recall being asked about it when I've gone to do baptisms as an adult.

I remember an announcement being made when I was in YW and planning for a temple trip that the temple had requested anyone ON their period regardless of the feminine product used refrain from doing baptisms and only participate in confirmations, but that's still just what I heard one time years ago and in the context of a youth temple trip. I don't recall being asked about it when I've gone to do baptisms as an adult.

Ditto!!! But when I volunteered at college in the baptistry I never heard any of the workers telling the YW that:confused:

And....on the other note there are other products besides tampons and pads like the Diva Cup and Instead (and they are better for the environment as well).

I've never heard this rule before. Is this a rule at every temple? I'll avoid doing it if it's an actual rule at all temples.

I've participated in temple baptisms at four different temples (in four different states and different regions), and in each one we were only allowed to do confirmations if we were menstruating.

I think its just a mormon myth thing...

I don't.

it was something i was told when i was in yw's as well.

I was as a young woman. I recently attended a youth baptism trip as the YW president in my ward, and as the temple worker was giving the young women their clothing, she asked each of them if they were menstruating, and even though none were, explained afterward that those girls would only be able to participate in confirmation ordinances. I've been a youth in that position before, and they usually do double the number of confirmations for you if that's your situation.

Edited by Wingnut

I think that one is using a tampon instead of wearing one.

I have heard that pads are safer...personally for me I cramp less when I don't use tampons.

My sister-in-laws swear by the diva cup but I still havent tried it. They are a huge thing in my area and lots of sisters have them in their food storage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest mirancs8

I know for my own baptism I scheduled it so I knew I wouldn't have my period at that time. But yes I would agree with not doing Baptisms while you have your period. It's only a few days... just wait. Whatever the reason religious rules or the fact that others enter that water as well... I say it doesn't hurt to wait.

Guest mirancs8

Gees for a minute there I forgot we even had any guys around here LOL! This is how they learn... by listening to us talk about our menstrual cycles and tampon/pad experiences:eek:

I asked my mom who is currently a baptismal director at our temple what the protocol was regarding women and girls on their period. My mom said that they tell the women that if they are menstruating that they should use a tampon. She said that our temple actually has tampons on hand for those sisters who need them. Our temple does give the sisters the option to do confirmations only if they do not feel comfortable with getting baptized while on their cycle.

She did mention that each temple is different and so what is done at one temple may be done differently at another.

Edited by Tarnished

• 3 months later...

I've never heard of this. I've done baptisms a couple of times while on my period, I wear tampons so it's not like anyone would have known to tell me otherwise. I've never had a tampon leak or anything, so long as you change them frequently (like you are supposed to) there is no reason it would even touch the water in the font or the baptismal jumpsuits.

Yes, it is a rule that they are supposed to ask the girls going to the temple to not do baptisms if they are on their period. I know because the YW leaders asked me specifically this question each time I was a youth going on a temple trip.

• 2 months later...

I have never been asked when I have done temple trips. How embarrassing. I can just see the other kids saying, "Check it out. Jane is only doing confirmations. Must be her time of the month." I would never go to the temple again. :o

no offense intended but i find that kinda funny. i mean come on if you are a girl over a certain age then it's expected you have a "time of the month". that's like saying "oh my gosh, did you see that? pam went into the bathroom. i bet she urinated".... ummmmmm yeah?

i laugh at women that walk into a bathroom and exclaim "it stinks in here!".... are you surprised? it's a bathroom. this is where ppl come to poop and change baby diapers and hopefully to pass gas if it's particularly stinky that day. better than having to smell it while you are shopping, sitting in the office, etc. were you expecting it to smell like french toast?

there are some things we all do. everyone pee's, poop's, passes gas, burps, etc. and if you are a girl you have a period. should we have manors? yes, by all means please be polite with your bodily functions. but to pretend they don't exist is just silly. if our society can't handle that fact we have some huge issues far beyond any i previously thought.

i guess my point is please don't let some juvenile have the power to embarrass you into avoiding communing with the lord. they aren't worth it. on the up side if a boy is that immature wouldn't you like to know that before you start dating seriously?

that's like saying "oh my gosh, did you see that? pam went into the bathroom. i bet she urinated".... ummmmmm yeah?

Ummm why are you using MY name as an example? hahahaha