Cover up!

Wingnut

Are there any songs that have been redone or covered, where you actually like the cover version better? They say you can't beat a classic, and in some cases that's true (think Uncle Kracker doing "Drift Away" or Jessica Simpson with "Take My Breath Away"), but not in all.

Feel free to include links if you want.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start off. I love Save Ferris's version of "Come On Eileen" -- so much more than the original (which, for it's time period, can probably be considered a classic). You can see it here:

I also like (and don't hate me for this if you're a fan of MJ) Alien Ant Farm's version of "Smooth Criminal" better than Michael Jackson's. I think this is because -- believe it or not -- I don't think I ever heard Jackson's version until years after I was familiar with AAF's version, which I loved when it came out. You can see the video here:

. It's a little odd, but they do some subtle (and not-so-subtle) tributes in it to Michael Jackson, which are amusing.

I used to always like The Searchers version of Love Potion Number 9. I'd never heard the original done by The Clovers until recently. I think i still like The Searchers better. But The Clovers actually put harmony in their version and that oh so low "i took a drink" is kinda fun.

YouTube - Love Potion #9~ the Clovers 1959 45rpm

Are there any songs that have been redone or covered, where you actually like the cover version better? They say you can't beat a classic, and in some cases that's true (think Uncle Kracker doing "Drift Away" or Jessica Simpson with "Take My Breath Away"), but not in all.

Feel free to include links if you want.

Before we start hearing Blasphemy i would point out that while it is possible to like the cover better, it is not possible for a cover to actually be better.(Provided the song is written by the artist.

Case in point. I like All along the watchtower, Hendrix version, better them Bob Dylans , lighter, folkier mumbling original. But it was originally written to be lighter, and folkier so while i can like the cover better the cover cannot actually be better.

Like putting KISS makeup on the Mona Lisa might make it look cooler (if you like KISS), but because that wasn't the artist intent it is not better.

Virtually every song by Elvis Presley was stolen from somebody else -- and I say stolen because he never bothered to credit the original music artists. For the most part, Elvis' versions were more appealing. Not really my favorite genre of music though.

In the end, I'm a Metal head. Just about everything that Metallica covered in their various Garage albums (which consisted of nothing but covers of course) I liked better than the original.

My favorites:

Cats in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe (Harry Chapin)

Wild World by Mr. Big (Cat Stevens)

Reason to Believe by Rod Stewart (Tim Hardin) - I like Wilson Phillips version as well

I'll start off. I love Save Ferris's version of "Come On Eileen" -- so much more than the original (which, for it's time period, can probably be considered a classic). You can see it here:

I also like (and don't hate me for this if you're a fan of MJ) Alien Ant Farm's version of "Smooth Criminal" better than Michael Jackson's. I think this is because -- believe it or not -- I don't think I ever heard Jackson's version until years after I was familiar with AAF's version, which I loved when it came out. You can see the video here:

. It's a little odd, but they do some subtle (and not-so-subtle) tributes in it to Michael Jackson, which are amusing.

Wow, you and I have very similar taste in music. I love Save Ferris, and I do like that cover very much.

I also love the arrangement of Hallelujah by KD Lang over the original (by Leonard Cohen). And this video is the best rendition I have heard her do.

(Nena)

I'm not familiar with any of your other songs, but I listened to this, and I really like this version.

A couple others for me: I prefer "Lady Marmalade" by Pink, Christina Aguilera, Mya, and L'il Kim (from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack) over the original by Labelle. Again, I heard the cover version before ever hearing the original. I won't link to a video for this one.

, (Outkast)

(Mariah Carey)

(Lionel Richie)

When You Say Nothing At All, by Alison Krauss (Keith Whitley)

(noticing a theme?) (Sarah Brightman)

(Don McLean)

I Don't Like Mondays, by Tori Amos (The Boomtown Rats) (not a video...just an MP3)

(Rose Royce)

Even though I'm a serious Beatles fan, I must admit that Joe Cocker's version of "With a Little Help From My Friends" beats Ringo's anytime. I also like The Foo Fighters version of "Baker Street" better than Gerry Rafferty's. Also, Cheap Trick's version of "Ain't That A Shame" is better than Pat Boone's.

Guest Godless

I'm not familiar with any of your other songs, but I listened to this, and I really like this version.

I saw them play it live a few years ago. It was very awesome. :cool:

Mah Na Mah Na - Cake

Only Hope - Switchfoot (this one is original to Switchfoot, but many people attribute it to Mandy Moore - sung in the movie A Walk to Remmeber)

I like bands like

or
that do punkish covers. This is the kind of stuff that I find perfect for road trip sing alongs. Like Hordak said, rarely better than the original, but I like them.

I'm also always intrigued by mashups that actually work well:

Guest Godless

I like Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies as well. There's also a very good punk band from Baltimore called the Charm City Saints that does punk versions of traditional Irish songs.

Edited by Godless