Friendships and the Eternities

Michelle-hi

Hello everyone. We have all heard that in the LDS Church families can be together forever. I love this idea but I'm curious about where friends fit into the whole scheme of things. I have some friends that are as dear to me as my own family and can't imagine Heaven being Heaven without them there. Is this a realistic idea or just foolish hope? Does the Abrahamic Covenant include them or is it limited to families sealed in the temple? If you have any specific doctrine or quotes to help me with this, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone! :mellow:

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Considering we are all literally spiritual brothers and sisters, and that we knew each other and associated with each other in the pre earth life, logically that type of relationship will continue in the next life with those who choose to return to live with our Father in Heaven.

This scripture clearly indicates that those we knew on earth can be with us in the "kingdom of my Father" (celestial kingdom) if they choose that path and are worthy.

“And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!” (D&C 18:15.)

-------------------

A strong motivation to do good, so we can be with our friends and loved ones in the next life - This is from Sterling W. Sill.

Now, suppose we test your picturing power with another idea. Just suppose that you don't qualify for the highest glory. Suppose that your parents qualify. Your friends are entitled to go to the celestial kingdom, your children will be celestialized but you must be cast out. You must go someplace else. Suppose you find yourself in this region of outer darkness. Suppose that you become a part of the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. If we could see ourselves in that situation for five minutes how it would strengthen our determination to be faithful.

The Prophet Joseph Smith once said that "The greatest misery of departed spirits is to know that they come short of the glory that others enjoy and that they could have had." (History of the Church, Volume 5, Page 42 5.)

The most devastating of all human emotions is this sense of being alone, or not being wanted, or being unworthy. Think of the terrible loneliness that sometimes haunts the minds and hearts of people in this life. Then try to understand what eternal loneliness would be like. What would it be like to be forever excluded from the presence of God with all that that means?

Edited by WindRiver

D&c 130:1-2:

1 When the savior shall appear we shall see him as he is. We shall see that he is a man like ourselves.

2 and that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy.

The D&C does not limit this to "where the party of the first part has been officially sealed to the party of the second part". I see no theological rationale for an assertion that we will be prohibited from contacting anyone we haven't been sealed to.

Hello everyone. We have all heard that in the LDS Church families can be together forever. I love this idea but I'm curious about where friends fit into the whole scheme of things. I have some friends that are as dear to me as my own family and can't imagine Heaven being Heaven without them there. Is this a realistic idea or just foolish hope? Does the Abrahamic Covenant include them or is it limited to families sealed in the temple? If you have any specific doctrine or quotes to help me with this, I'd truly appreciate it.

See D&C 132:7 - Note the term associations.

The Traveler

FWIW, I read D&C 132:1-2 as placing D&C 132:7 within the context of "covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations" that pertain to the marriage relationship. Would be interested to see more in this regard, though.

See D&C 132:7 - Note the term associations.

The Traveler

I have read that scripture D&C 132:7 several times and have wondered if all "associations" outside of the sealed family unit - meaning friendships - would end. It seems that there are conflicting views on this. I have heard Sheri Dew say that the ordinances we have on Earth are simply to give us the things we need in order to be exhaulted; implying there is "more to come". I realize much of this is based on faith but I need a little push in the right direction.

Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?

I've wondered if those who end up in the celestial kingdom would, if they were so inclined, visit with those in lower degrees. I think the only knowledge we have on this is that we are told Jesus will be visiting with those in the terrestrial kingdom.

I've wondered if those who end up in the celestial kingdom would, if they were so inclined, visit with those in lower degrees. I think the only knowledge we have on this is that we are told Jesus will be visiting with those in the terrestrial kingdom.

If the LDS faith is true, then I would not see why someone wouldn't ever visit a lower kingdom. People today go to areas where they are not as desirable as where they live. For example bad parts of a city or other countries. Even though there may not be any violence, I can't see a reason why someone would not want to eventually go to a lesser kingdom. Eternity is a long time. If I were in a Celestial kingdom, I would visit everywhere I could just to see it. I'd also want to keep in contact with my friends. That's just me though.

I don't think it too far out to suppose that an individual can visit a lower kingdom. (I think there is a D&C verse that says something along this line but can't remember it at the moment).

While theres nothing that explicitly states that we can visit friends in the same kingdomwe are assigned to... there are a few things that may indicate you can-

1st - We will all be a family.

2nd - If you back off and take a look at the gospel as whole there seems to be a theme or principle of togetherness, being united, being linked together with CHrist and God.

3rd - Joseph smith when commenting on heaven said that the social relations will be like what we have now.. just perfected, and with perfect people.

So I don't think there will be a problem with visiting a friend - there seems to be more going for it than against it.

The most devastating of all human emotions is this sense of being alone, or not being wanted, or being unworthy. Think of the terrible loneliness that sometimes haunts the minds and hearts of people in this life. Then try to understand what eternal loneliness would be like. What would it be like to be forever excluded from the presence of God with all that that means?

Egads. What a terrible thought. All that pain, for forever? *shudder*