Water Storage Quiz & Giveaway

DocG

• 2 months later...

I disagree with storing water in barrells. Let me tell you why, first of all, not everyone has the space to store barrels of water. Second of all, if you have to be on the move, good luck carrying a 55 gallon barrel of water with you. Thirdly, when the water is gone, it is gone. This is what I recommend and what I have done. I bought a portable water purifier that is capable of turning all fresh-water sources into pure drinking water. I was a skeptic at first, but after doing my homework, I found the best purifier out there. It is a Berkey System. I now have the ability to make over 6,000 gallons of pure drinking water. The unit takes up about 1 sq. foot of my counter space. This is certainly the way to go.

Edited by pam
Please don't solicit websites

Hey Foust,

I noticed you over at nauvoo.com hawking your product there too. Please be aware of LDS.NET's site rule #13:

13. You will not use this site to solicit the sale of any product, service or website. If appropriate, you may post a link to your business on your profile, in your forum signature, and you make create one post in the web link section of the forum.

I see you've actually created a thread here, and made posts in old threads here and here to sell your wares.

Individually, these posts sound innocent enough. Taken together, it's obvious why you're here. The non-commercial-website-related post on the very old shotgun thread was a good touch, but it's still obvious why you're here - and you're violating site rules.

Thank you LMM (some how "thanks loudmouth" don't sound right now matter how you phrase it ha ha ha).

Foust, your advertisement is forgetting a fundamental precept of prepping. That there are various types of prepping. Shelter-in-place, Go to a shelter, or pitch a tent in the parking lot. To steal a phrase "Prep in Layers".

No-one who is planning an 72 hour Evac kit is going to put a 55 gallon barrel next to a backpack. Likewise, no-one who is planning on sheltering in place is going to forget a bulk water storage system. The whole idea is planning for those times when you DON'T have water available to you. Unless you have a stream or lake nearby, your little filter won't do you one bit of good when the municipal service goes out, or the well freezes solid.

A form of filtration might be nice to have in combination with a 55 gallon barrel store, but only to remove the taste of the bleach or other preservatives used to maintain potability. Either way, it isn't necessary for properly stored and maintained water supplies.

One last word of advice, speaking as one who used to write TV and Radio commercials professionally, the first rule of thumb is to target your advertising to the product you are attempting to sell. You don't want to try to sell Pittsburgh Steelers souvenirs at a Dallas Cowboys football game. Your advertisement seems to have forgotten my last 2 points, that you need a source of water in order for your product to work in the first place, and that any filtration system is a good complement to barrel storage, but not a substitute.

If your trying to sell Gasoline, don't denigrate the cars that use it.

One last point... it is spelled F"A"ust.

Edited by Raven21633

• 2 months later...

Just had to add my 2 cents in here. I had a good friend who came over this morning and of course we were talking preps. She had a bunch of questions about water storage so I showed her what I was doing for water. It became very apparent that she couldn't figure out what to do for her family. It's just me at my house but she has a hubby, 2 sons, and 2 dogs. I tried to explain that her system would never be like mine because our situations are different. It's important to build your system to fit your needs.

Barrels and Berkleys can coexist and so could many other combinations. There is no one style that fits everyone. That's also why I would never buy a pre-made 72 hour kit (or if I did it would be only as a starting point).

The really important thing is to START being prepared

Edited by sdnapier