In The Shadow Of The Temple

guitarwizard

The documentary, In the Shadow of the Temple, is coming to my town this week.

For those who are unaware of the doc, it is about Shadow Mormons and ex-mormons and the difficulties they experience in leaving the church.

I'm just curious of your opinions on the doc if you've seen it. I would like to know some opinions that others hold as I go into it, so I should know what to be watching for.

Thanks!

I feel like I should be there to correct any misrepresentations of the Church, especially in a region in which there are so few members already.

The movie is apparently geared towards ex-Mormons who know the drill regarding our practices. If the movie is able to deceive them about Mormonism then it's because they want to be deceived, and there's not a heckuvalot you can do to change that.

Years ago when I was in college something like this came to town. I remember that our LDSSA (we were too small to be an 'institute') leader urged us not to go. I didn't go then and I wouldn't go now. Those that attend if they truly are curious they will seek out individuals who can honestly answer their questions.

I feel like I should be there to correct any misrepresentations of the Church, especially in a region in which there are so few members already.

Curious as to how you could correct any misrepresentations on a documentary that is already on the screen? Any damage is already done. Would you be standing outside calling out to people that what they saw is really not the way it is? Not meaning to be rude..just curious as to how you would go about this.

I've heard about Shadow Mormons, but they usually hide too quickly when you turn around to look for them.

Don't know if Mormons should actually be going to such presentations, even if they are not R rated.

You've been listening to Coast to Coast with George Noory, haven't you? That stuff will rot not only your brain, but the brains of the aliens listening in on the receiver in your shoulder.

The documentary, In the Shadow of the Temple, is coming to my town this week.

For those who are unaware of the doc, it is about Shadow Mormons and ex-mormons and the difficulties they experience in leaving the church.

I'm just curious of your opinions on the doc if you've seen it. I would like to know some opinions that others hold as I go into it, so I should know what to be watching for.

Thanks!

why should i shell out $$ for something i can find on youtube? :P

Guest Alana

Difficulty of leaving the church? You mean the way home teachers still show up at your door (or don't)? Or maybe the way the Bishops office sends a Christmas card EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!! The nerve.

There is no need to be there. It seems like it would be an excellent way to put yourself in a bad situation. Best way of correcting misunderstandings? Live your faith, be a good neighbor and speak up when it's appropriate (as in when a coworker/friend says something, not at the end of a movie they chose to go to and pay money to sit and listen to).

Edited by Alana

Curious as to how you could correct any misrepresentations on a documentary that is already on the screen? Any damage is already done. Would you be standing outside calling out to people that what they saw is really not the way it is? Not meaning to be rude..just curious as to how you would go about this.

There is a question and answer session after the film. But you guys are right, thanks for setting me straight. This is definitely something I need to just avoid.

My co-worker just asked me last week if it is true that Mormons believe we can have our own planets after we die. Perfect opportunity to "set things straight". We don't need to know what shadow mormons are saying. But we do need to make sure we know our religion very well so that we can "set somebody straight" when the opportunity arises.