Food Storage-where to start?

kalagasa

Our primary problem is that we do not have a cool basement, and summer temperatures reach over 100 regularly. Without A/C, our house is at a steady 80-90 degrees most of the summer, and that's not the best atmosphere for food storage. Even things like potatoes go bad very fast.

Also, I've been buying the #10 cans from the cannery and there is only two of us. I'm trying to decide the best way to repackage some of this stuff in packs we'll use without any waste.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lecure on food storage and emergency prep. I made a dvd on how to start, where to store the food, what to store etc. I am in the mist of putting the dvd on youtube for everyone to view. I can let you know when it is on youtube so you may view it. Or you can instant message me with your PO Box or address and I will send you a copy. I have had great feedback from anyone who has received it.

Our primary problem is that we do not have a cool basement, and summer temperatures reach over 100 regularly. Without A/C, our house is at a steady 80-90 degrees most of the summer, and that's not the best atmosphere for food storage. Even things like potatoes go bad very fast.

Also, I've been buying the #10 cans from the cannery and there is only two of us. I'm trying to decide the best way to repackage some of this stuff in packs we'll use without any waste.

I have a Foodsaver that will also vacuum seal canning jars. When I open a #10 can, I put the unused portion in a jar(s) with an oxygen absorber on the top and vacuum seal it. I put the jars in a dark place or cover them with a hand towel. They are still being preserved but are convenient for my use.

I love my Foodsaver with the feature for vacuum sealing my canning jars. I use it all the time. Would never be without one.

I probably have a dozen books on food storage, but not that one.

Yorkie, I missed your post. We have that food saver attachment, and absolutely swear by it. My only concern is that I'm going to end up with tons of glass to be stored. It'll be impossible to move if something happens, and there's also the possibility of breakage.

But, we have a local store that sells 1/2 gallon canning jars, and I just love them for sugar, beans, etc.

I wish I could remember the name of the book my mom gave me, it's quite an old one, and it starts with telling you how to get the gluten out of white flour. The book then spends it's 200 or so pages sharing various recipes and cooking techniques for using this gluten.

Seitan is the more common name I guess, but this book didn't call it Seitan. Personally, I can think of better uses for flour, but it is still an entertaining read.

Since you are currently living with someone you might want to start with the canned wheat. You don't have to worry about breakage and you can keep the cans in the case and put them under your bed or stack them in a corner of your bedroom.

Costco has a case of wheat (6cans) on their website for $39.99 (shipping included). That's a very good price and it's from Shelf Reliance. Here is the link. If it doesn't come up for some reason, just type in Shelf Reliance in the search. Costco - Shelf Reliance THRIVE? Premium Wheat Pack

But, we have a local store that sells 1/2 gallon canning jars, and I just love them for sugar, beans, etc.

This size is so nice for bulk. I buy 25lb bags of certain grains for my breadmaker. I fill my large canister in the kitchen with it and the remaining grain is vacuum sealed with an oxygen absorber in these 1/2 gal canning jars.

Just make sure to cover the filled jars with a hand towel or something because the stored products are light sensitive. My hand towels cover a case of jars perfectly. I keep the boxes that my jars come in and put the filled ones back in the box and cover it with the hand towel.

A couple things I am curious about:

First, recipes for bread machine bread using mixed grains?

Second, as someone who deals with timber joist supported floors for a living... grain weighs a lot, especially a year's worth. Do you put consideration in to where you are storing it, as some floors, especially in modern houses, may not be designed to take the mass of the equivalent of a home gym in a concentrated area, like under the bed?

I haven't done tests in our software to see if a standard domestic house would need reinforcement for a year's worth of food storage in one area. Just something to think about as it's a long term load, and timber flexes over time.

Second, as someone who deals with timber joist supported floors for a living... grain weighs a lot, especially a year's worth. Do you put consideration in to where you are storing it, as some floors, especially in modern houses, may not be designed to take the mass of the equivalent of a home gym in a concentrated area, like under the bed?

I haven't done tests in our software to see if a standard domestic house would need reinforcement for a year's worth of food storage in one area. Just something to think about as it's a long term load, and timber flexes over time.

The recommended quantity for our family is soooooooooo much more than I will ever have. I'm probably sicking to 20 cases of Hard White Wheat and 20 cases of Hard Red Wheat. Short of building a cement store house, we have to consider what we can reasonably store.

Actually the weight is one thing I've never really thought about. We live in an old, very solid house though but we will never have enough that we have to worry about that (I don't think). Thanks for bringing that up, I've never even considered the weight.

I bake two different breads in our bread machine. My son-in-law has diabetes and loves the bread with the Hard Red Wheat and 10 grain cereal added. I also use the Vital Wheat Gluten and Powdered Buttermilk and also the yeast from storage.

My household loves a bread with the Hard White Wheat and the 10 grain cereal added.

Short answer:

Don't start food storage until you have six months living expenses in the bank. That's your first line of defense against bad times.

The intent of the Church preparedness program is not to have some schlub sell you a bunch of food that will rot somewhere in your home. It's much more than that. The Church has a pamphlet on preparedness, and food storage is only a small part of the plan. 72hr emergency is a better way to start, and more practical too.

Edited by mrmarklin

I feel very good about the food storage that I have for emergencies. If I waited until I have 6mo living expenses in the bank I would never have this emergency food storage. We all need to do what works for us. Money won't do you any good if there isn't any food in the stores. I know in the past when we had really bad weather the prices of things related to the cold went sky high. I doubt that food would be any different if it was limited. I feel very good about our storage.

So Yorkie, what are some of the things that you have stored and how much? How long do you think your storage would sustain you if an emergency?

I have a large bedroom that I've converted into a storage room. I have an air conditioner to have the desired temperature and the room is dark.

It looks like I have alot because the room is already full but when you consider we have a large family, I doubt it would last very long. Also, I could never turn anyone away if they needed help. So at this point I really don't know how long it will last in an emergency.

I have a pretty good 3mo supply of the foods that we normally eat. When it comes to the long term emergency food, I don't know how you can really gauge because you don't really know how many people will be using it.

I'm keeping the cases of wheat (I have about 35 cases so far) and the nonfood items in my bedroom to make more room available for more long term food storage in the storage room.

When my storage room is filled and I have all that is reasonable in my bedroom, then I have to be finished. I believe that Heavenly Father will bless my efforts and will take care of the rest. I felt very strongly that I was being called to do this and my hubby is very supportive.

This has been a spiritual journey for me also. I've learned so much about the teachings of the LDS Church.

I must say that I've had alot of criticism and laughing at me regarding this but I felt I needed to be obedient. Our pool table has 7gal water jugs all around it. It doesn't interfere with playing pool and they fit nicely but people do notice and ask questions. I have 14 water jugs so far and when my space runs out for these jugs then I feel that I have enough.

My next focus is to continue being obedient to the tithe and start an emergency financial plan. I know there's alot of talk about buying gold but the financial part of it will be my dear husbands department.

With all the reading I've done on the teachings by the LDS prophets regarding emergency planning and food storage, I think it odd that every LDS family isn't prepared.

I could go on and on about this subject because I find it fascinating but I will not. I'm hoping there will be more post on this subject. There's so much to learn.

Short answer:

Don't start food storage until you have six months living expenses in the bank. That's your first line of defense against bad times.

The intent of the Church preparedness program is not to have some schlub sell you a bunch of food that will rot somewhere in your home. It's much more than that. The Church has a pamphlet on preparedness, and food storage is only a small part of the plan. 72hr emergency is a better way to start, and more practical too.

I disagree with this point. I know NO ONE who has ever been able to scrape up six months living expenses. Once people get a few thousand in the bank it gets spent.

We survived 9 months of me not working on Unemployement insurance (I was only earning $9.00 hr previous.) with a family of 5.

We had very little money in the bank. We survived by having ten months or so of food storage, having very little debt and puttng a few extra cents on the phone power etc each month for 3 years.

I disagree with this point. I know NO ONE who has ever been able to scrape up six months living expenses. Once people get a few thousand in the bank it gets spent.

We survived 9 months of me not working on Unemployement insurance (I was only earning $9.00 hr previous.) with a family of 5.

We had very little money in the bank. We survived by having ten months or so of food storage, having very little debt and puttng a few extra cents on the phone power etc each month for 3 years.

I completely agree.

Even our leaders have counseled us to have an emergency fund. To start out with a months worth in the bank to cover expenses and work our way from there. There have been articles in the Ensign several times concerning this.