10 Questions About Missionaries

Melissa569

As I’ve said before, I attended church until I was 12, and then was inactive until a couple months ago (age 28). Now I’ve been married for 5 years (to a Catholic), and there is just a lot about LDS I never got to learn over the years, so I’m curious.

I have questions about missionaries. Around here, we have both elders and sister missionaries. I spoke to our sister missionaries from a different ward a few times… There are some things I have always wondered about, but was too shy or unsure of to ask, lol. So I’ll just ask them here, if that’s ok. Its not for me, I don’t want to go on a mission or anything (pretty sure I can‘t anyway, at least not until I‘m older, as some older couples do it). These are just silly thoughts that pop into my mind from time to time.

Questions for anyone who has served a mission, or knows a lot about serving a mission, especially recently:

1-- Do ALL missionaries have to have a temple recommend?

2-- Not to be crude, but I heard you HAVE to be a virgin to go on a mission, but… What if someone just made a big mistake as a teenager or something, and they know it was stupid, and they’re really sorry, and REALLY want to serve a mission? Could they repent in a way that allowed them to go? I know members (not missionaries) who still went to the temple later on, even after they were with someone outside of marriage. So I wondered about that.

3-- A lot of the women in my ward wear pants to church on Sunday. Do you think pants will ever be allowed for female missionaries?

4-- Are missionaries allowed to film/document their mission? I’ve seen some missionaries on YouTube doing weekly or monthly video logs about their life on the mission, etc., and sending the disk/chip home in letters, and their families posting them every week. For example, this guy: YouTube - arthgallo's Channel But is that technically allowed?

5-- Missionaries have cell phones now??? Or at least I think ours do, because they call me from their car, to ask me to open the gate outside my apartment complex… Great new development for emergencies, of course. But I thought they couldn’t call their families except only on certain days. However, with a cell phone, what would stop them? Also, I figured maybe they would have to turn it in to their leader at the end of the day or something, but I’ve gotten calls from them as late as 9:00pm, so it sounds like they get to keep it at home with them. They could just call their family, and delete the number later. Or send a text to family, and delete it, especially with all these cheaper “unlimited” plans all the companies have now.

6-- Do missionaries live on church food (like the stuff people get in food orders)? Or do they actually have to shop for groceries? Can they go to any store, or just discount stores?

7-- Do they have to have a driver’s license to go on a mission, in case the church car is rotated to them? In our area, sometimes they share and trade the cars/bikes.

8-- What if a prospective missionary’s family is too poor to finance their mission? Can they get assistance, if they REALLY wanna go?

9-- Are missionaries allowed to use the internet? I mean can they email their family, or visit LDS websites or anything?

10-- What’s the cut-off age for the younger missionaries (as in the non-senior-couple ones)?

Thanks in advance for bearing with my child-like questioning, lol.

Let's see.. my own answers

1. I believe so, as well as Endowments if I am not mistaken, unless there are extreme circumstances

2. Not necessarily. I think one mistake may be excusable, but not if you made a habit of pre-marital relations

3. Maybe, maybe not. I don't know how much leeway individual missions have with dress code.

4. If they're doing it, then it may be allowed in their Mission, but not all Missions are the same.

5. The same that stops them from phoning home on their landline. Honour.

6. I always went grocery shopping, some were encouraged to do so in shirt, tie, nametag so people knew Missionaries were normal people too.

7. Not always, also if you go on a foreign Mission, your license may not transfer.

8. The church does have help for this sort of thing.

9. Depends on what the Mission President says. Ours said no, others said yes.

10. It used to be 25, it may still be.

I am not a leader or a decision maker on these matters, this is just my understanding which may be totally wrong.

Yes. All missionaries are encourage to receive their endowments prior to entering the MTC, but some live in areas where that's not very feasible for them. I knew one sister who received her recommend from her leaders at home, then received her endowment in the Provo Temple while in the MTC. She was from Armenia.

2-- Not to be crude, but I heard you HAVE to be a virgin to go on a mission, but… What if someone just made a big mistake as a teenager or something, and they know it was stupid, and they’re really sorry, and REALLY want to serve a mission? Could they repent in a way that allowed them to go? I know members (not missionaries) who still went to the temple later on, even after they were with someone outside of marriage. So I wondered about that.

My last mission companion was a little like you. She went to church in a new ward when she was 12. The girls there made fun of her and were cruel, and she never went back. In her early 20's, she was living with her boyfriend, leading a wordly life. When she was 25, a number of things happened in her life that led her to realize she needed a drastic change. Almost her entire family were inactive, and the only contact she had with the Church in her area was a visiting teacher who had diligently called her and left her a voicemail every month since my companion had turned 18 (that's dedication!!). My companion went back to church the next week, received her endowments exactly a year later, and entered the MTC only a few weeks after that. She was not a virgin, however, I suspect she was an exception to the rule. I do know that you cannot serve a mission if you've ever had a child, even if you put it up for adoption.

3-- A lot of the women in my ward wear pants to church on Sunday. Do you think pants will ever be allowed for female missionaries?

I doubt it. Dressing the way sisters do sets them apart from any other females walking down the street. It might be equated to the elders wearing jeans instead of suits.

4-- Are missionaries allowed to film/document their mission? I’ve seen some missionaries on YouTube doing weekly or monthly video logs about their life on the mission, etc., and sending the disk/chip home in letters, and their families posting them every week. For example, this guy: YouTube - arthgallo's Channel But is that technically allowed?

Taking pictures is encouraged, and in the digital age, so many small digital cameras also have video capability. Though I don't know of any rules about video, I suppose there's no way to prevent it other than set a rule and expect it to be obeyed. Personally, I think it's inappropriate and a safety/security issue to have family members post the videos on YouTube. That is a personal opinion, though.

5-- Missionaries have cell phones now??? Or at least I think ours do, because they call me from their car, to ask me to open the gate outside my apartment complex… Great new development for emergencies, of course. But I thought they couldn’t call their families except only on certain days. However, with a cell phone, what would stop them? Also, I figured maybe they would have to turn it in to their leader at the end of the day or something, but I’ve gotten calls from them as late as 9:00pm, so it sounds like they get to keep it at home with them. They could just call their family, and delete the number later. Or send a text to family, and delete it, especially with all these cheaper “unlimited” plans all the companies have now.

At the tail end of my mission, there was a lot of chatter about getting cell phones. The seniors and Assistants to the President had them in my mission, but they were the only missionaries who did. On one hand, you have the general concept of the honor code. On the other hand, part of the problem being discussed when I was ending my mission was this very thing. In smaller missions, it's easy because you can arrange for a limited calling plan. In larger (geographical) missions, it would be harder, because the mission home and even sometimes the zone leaders are long distance calls. If cell phones are the norm nationwide now (if not even wider), the Church is obviously buying in bulk, and they've got the leverage to get the plans they want/need.

6-- Do missionaries live on church food (like the stuff people get in food orders)? Or do they actually have to shop for groceries? Can they go to any store, or just discount stores?

Grocery stores. They receive a monthly stipend based on the cost of living in their area. Some may choose to shop at discount stores to maximize the stipend.

7-- Do they have to have a driver’s license to go on a mission, in case the church car is rotated to them? In our area, sometimes they share and trade the cars/bikes.

Nope. Most missionaries from foreign countries are not allowed to drive. You can obtain an international license, but it's debatable as to whether or not it's worth it. I had a friend before my mission who hadn't had his drivers' license while he was a missionary. He had been in an accident while driving with his permit, and it really shook him up. He ended up not getting his license until 21 or 22. He served in Arizona.

8-- What if a prospective missionary’s family is too poor to finance their mission? Can they get assistance, if they REALLY wanna go?

Absolutely! I've never heard of someone not going on a mission because they couldn't afford it. A missionary and/or his family should pay for as much as possible, but it they still lack, the bishop may supplement out of the ward mission fund. The next time you pay tithing or a fast offering, pay attention to the rest of the lines on the slip -- there's one for missionary funds. YOU can help a missionary serve! (Personally, I believe a missionary should pay for as much of his/her own mission as possible, because a thing is always more satisfying when you work for it yourself. That said, I only earned about 1/3 of my mission fund. The rest came from an inheritance from my deceased great-grandmother.)

9-- Are missionaries allowed to use the internet? I mean can they email their family, or visit LDS websites or anything?

I think rules may have changed a little bit since I was in the mission, but I'm not sure. They are allowed to email family. I have seen missionaries on Facebook or posting on blogs though. It's unclear to me, however, if they visit those sites themselves, or if a family member has a password back home. On Facebook, the extent of activity that I've seen is just friend acceptances.

10-- What’s the cut-off age for the younger missionaries (as in the non-senior-couple ones)?

Young men must be at least 19 (though I've heard of a few that turn 19 while in the MTC), but must enter the mission prior to their 26th birthday. There's been some debate on here in the past about 25 or 26, but I'm pretty sure it's 26. Sister missionaries must be at least 21, and -- to my knowledge -- there is no age cap. Sisters can even serve multiple missions, though this is discouraged in favor of marriage instead.

Wow! Interesting answers :) Thanks everyone! I don't know if we are lucky or what, because I never did see very many of the older couple missionaries, but in addition to our regular missionaries, we also just had 2 older couples show up at our ward last Sunday... They seemed really cheery, like they were having a lot of fun with their calling :)

-For the most part, yes.

-Generally they probably are, but I'm sure there are special cases, but you can't have any children.

-I personally don't think it would ever happen, but I could be wrong.

-Yes, several of the ones I know who just got back home had some videos from their mission that were on their cameras and some of the ones that are currently serving have videos.

-Yes, I'm pretty sure they all have phones - at least the ones in the states. They all use the same type of Sprint phone. They just have to use the honor system, although I'm sure there is a way to check the numbers called.

-They do their own shopping. They generally go on their preparation day, but I've been with them on other days when they've had to pick up some things. They can go pretty much anywhere they want to shop.

-You probably don't have to, but I'd assume most do.

-Yes, I know of several that have or are going to get assistance from their ward with their mission.

-Yes, on their preparation day they get to check their MyLDSMail emails and go to church affiliated websites only. They can't get on blogs or facebook - most do leave that for a family member to take over though.

-Like already mentioned, the guys can leave from the time they are 19 to 26 and the girls can leave when they are 21 to whenever and they girls can go as many times as they would like, although marriage is encouraged.

Edited by Cassie

1) Yes, though not all are endowed. Happened to one of the elders on my mission, because of visa problems.

2) No. I know plenty of missionaries who weren't.

3) Trousers aren't supposed to be worn to church services, it is just easier to enforce rules on missionaries.

4) The only things one shouldn't film are ordinances such as baptism. Before and after the actual baptism, you can.

5) About halfway through my mission was when we recieved cellphones, worldwide. A most useful tool.

6) Missionaries are given an allowance. They use it to buy food.

7) Certain missions may require a driver's licence, but exceptions can be made. My mission was entirely walking or public transportation. Not even bicycles.

8) Yes. we recieved some assistance, and in most parts of the world, this is the case. The church does want the individual or their family to contribute something, a steady sum of some sort if at all possible.

9) Only a missionary email account, though exceptions can be made. Internet use is limited to one hour weekly.

10) 25 or 26 for males, BUT exceptions are readily made for converts. In many cases this holds true for people who left the church as well (though not if one was excommunicated).

Nothing can stop them doing anything really. If a companionship decided to disobey the rules, unless someone else notices, nothing will stop them. However, the phones they are given will have the itemised phone bills sent to mission headquarters. If there are any suspicious numbers, or time of calls, or length of calls on there, they will be questioned - the missionaries cannot modify the bills because they never get to see them.

Nothing can stop them doing anything really. If a companionship decided to disobey the rules, unless someone else notices, nothing will stop them.

Exactly, it would be trivial (in the US at least) for a missionary companionship to purchase a To-Go phone, get a regular plan set up, or even just sneak out at night with a phone card to the nearest pay phone. Rules don't of themselves keep Missionaries from breaking them, obedience comes from within. If me and my companion had wanted to call home every morning (and assuming the folks back home were cool with that) we could have done so, cell phone or not (cell phones where phased in ~ halfway through my mission so I lived with both set-ups).

1-- Yes

2-- No you don't. People make mistakes. As long as you've repented and are now worthy. And unlike someone else said it's not like it had to have been a one time thing.. people make mistakes, people make multiple mistakes. As long as it's been dealt with then it's forgotten. :)

3-- Not anytime in the near future I don't think lol

4-- I've seen tons take vidoes, and a couple people in my home branch would send videos home.

5-- I know all of the ones in my stake do. This is probably because they're not home a lot, therefore they are harder to get ahold of.

6-- They shop for groceries on their P day (one day a week where they get to do other things)

7-- I don't think you HAVE to, but it's probably recommended. I remember my friend getting her licence right before she left so she'd have it.

8-- The church will often help. There was a guy in my branch who couldn't afford it but the church helped a lot.

9-- They are allowed to email their family once a week.

10-- I know you have to be 19 for a guy/21 for a girl. I agree with others that the cut off is 26, and I'm not sure about a girl but apparently there isn't a cut off date?

:)