Writer's Conferences

KCGrant

Hello everyone,

Sorry I've been absent from the board--I'm still trying to figure out how to market, promote and write books while still being a wife and mom. Not to mention that I belong to several writers' groups. I wanted to suggest that anyone who is interested in being a writer should look for groups in their area. Many will hold writers' conferences that you can attend even if you don't join. For those of you in Utah like me, check out:

League of Utah Writers: annual conference in September (all genres)

LDSStorymakers: annual conference in April (LDS market)

Writing on the Wall: annual conference in February (sci-fi)

Utah Christian Writers: conference in September

Utah Romance writers: Heart of the West October conference

yep. :)

Why did you lie and pretend your book was written by someone else? In this post you wrote:

J. Ann Tibbetts book "A light that passes by" was just recently published/released a month or two ago. She is an up and coming LDS writer that I love. Here's the authors web site for anyone who wants to look into her new book, Jenny Ann Tibbetts

It's by far the best book I've read in a long time...

In other posts you wrote:

Here's one of my favorite poems by J. Ann Tibbetts.

Another awesome poem in this book, . . . .

My career was in publishing, and I can tell you that in the publishing profession, “marketing” your book by lying and saying it is this wonderful new book by this wonderful new author is embarrassingly inappropriate. It’s just never done by credible authors.

That’s not to say the publishing world is completely innocent of questionable marketing. However, many publishers are very strict about what you can or cannnot do to market your book, and it does not include the author pretending someone else wrote it so s/he can praise it.

In fact, there is a chance that if your publisher discovered what you're doing, it would demand you stop immediately, because authors who do these kinds of things have the capacity to hurt a publisher's credibility.

There's also the chance that your publisher could not care less. However, the publishing world is full of professionals who care very much. We don't tolerate lying, be it plagiarism, making up facts for a news story, or pretending you are not the author of your own book so you can praise it.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

• 2 weeks later...

When I write, I write about my successes and my failures both. I do not write as one who is perfect, as Jesus Christ is to the world. What I did was wrong and I should not have shyed away from exposing my identity to the world. But if you're going to hold me accountable solely and leave the atonement totally out of the equation, then what good is the Gospel of Jesus Christ that we belong to? The atonement is not just for the seemingly perfect amongst us, but it is indeed for people like me who are human, who can act human at times and who can also learn and grow through their very human mistakes.

I feel that the Savior also tells a very telling story, when we learn that even his own apostles who lived with him, who walked with him, who ate with him and slept alongside him where also human too. Two of his apostles betrayed him. One repented and one did not. It's a telling example that when we make choices in this life that we can either rise above those choices, or we can choose to fall from Grace...I don't want to fall from Grace. I'd like to learn and grow from this experience and even become a better person from it. I have plenty of life in me yet and I'd like to live it.

Elphie, do you consider it questionable marketing when I mention my wife's book here or on facebook? I don't think I've ever misrepresented that she is my wife. I never provide a link to her website since I was given an infraction due to the cover of The Proviso.

Just wondered.

Of course not Miz. You never lied about anything. That is the issue I have with ColorMe Real. She lied, I assume, to market her book, and many publishers would be incensed about that, including me, as it could affect their credibility. I acknowledge, however, that not all publishers would care.

You actually showed me the cover of The Proviso, and it is very provocative. However, I'm surprised you got an infraction, for it seems to me that a request to remove it would have sufficed. However, I'm sure it must have broken one of the site rules. Additionally, I've had my share of infractions too. :P

BTW, I read some of The Proviso, though not all of it, when your wife posted it on her blog and let everyone read it for free for a couple of days, and I enjoyed it very much. (I think it was The Proviso. If I have the wrong book, please forgive an old lady's foggy head.) Unfortunately, I happened upon her blog the day her free-read ended. Your wife is a truly talented author.

Elph

The infraction was for posting a link to a page with offensive material....specifically the cover, as cited by Gwen, the issuer of the infarction. That's why I don't link anymore, but I figure anyone can google to find it.

She appreciated your compliment. Curious tho....why not finished reading? Did you see she is donating 2 sets of books for an auction to benefit juvenile diabetes? Bids start at $2

She appreciated your compliment. Curious tho....why not finished reading? Did you see she is donating 2 sets of books for an auction to benefit juvenile diabetes? Bids start at $2

Well, like I said, I visited her blog on the last day of the free read. I would buy her book, but I am disabled and money is always tight. However, I will visit her blog again to look at the auction, as I can probably scrape up two bucks. It might take me six months, but if I'm a good girl, it could happen. :P

Elph

That's OK. I'll get us back on track. Someone asked about websites. Most of them are big enough to google, but here's the one's I've got:

LDSStorymakers.com (LDS writers)

Luwriters.org (league of Utah writers)

utahrwa.com (utah romance writers)

ltue.org (sci fi)

Hope you find something you like!

• 5 months later...