Let's talk about transubstantiation.

The Holy Eucharist; is it the body and blood of Jesus Christ our Lord?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. The Holy Eucharist; is it the body and blood of Jesus Christ our Lord?

• I use to believe that. I use to be Catholic.
    • It is a sin to believe that.
    • It could be true.
    • It is true.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

It's easy enough to check.

Do some DNA analysis on it and then you wouldn't have to guess.

There has been DNA tests done, but on Eucharistic miracles.

Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

The Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

Eucharistic miracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all of the above sites are about the miracle of Lanciano.

pretty cool stuff, I for one see it as proof of what my Church has taught me. :D so I don't have to guess! :P

There has been DNA tests done, but on Eucharistic miracles.

Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

The Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

Eucharistic miracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all of the above sites are about the miracle of Lanciano.

pretty cool stuff, I for one see it as proof of what my Church has taught me. :D so I don't have to guess! :P

I love faith affirming stuff like this. I am glad you have found it in your life.

This entire discussion illuminates something very important for me.

There are a lot of differing postitions on the host of communion through all of Christianity. What Joseph Smith said by way of revelation still makes the most sense, ie. whatever symbols are used in the Sacrament/ Communion, so long as we participate in the ordinance focusing our hearts and minds on Christ, it is sufficient.

In the past, I've had to use broken cookies and sprite.

In my own mind, what people believe about the symbols is their own business. Further, what other religions teach about the symbols used is also their own business. While I disagree with the Catholic postition, that's hardly a problem, since I'm not Catholic. It would not be a sin in the LDS church if I did, even though such an idea is not part of LDS doctrine in any way.

What disturbs me is when intolerance creeps into respectful disagreement. I'm willing to let anyone, or any religion teach/believe however and whatever they see fit. All I ask is the same in return. If you're not a member of the LDS church, that's cool. If you disagree with what I believe, that's just fine. However, the very second you start an attempt to show me that I'm wrong....I have a huge problem with that.

I already understand that LDS beliefs tend to contradict those of other religions....it's a rather expected condition, really. There's no need to hash out the differences if such a discussion cannot be done respectfully.

As long as cooler heads can prevail, let's get into the nuts and bolts of each other's religion. There's a lot to be learned on all sides for those willing to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

While I have family members who are Catholic, I wasn't actually raised in that church, so the first option wasn't for me. The reason why Catholics believe in the transubstantiation is there's a Scripture of the Last Supper where Christ takes the unleavened bread and says, "This is My Body" and later takes the wine and says, "This is My Blood." Protestants, and that includes LDS believe that it's symbolic, so when they do Communion or Sacrament as it's known in the LDS church, it's done in memory of Christ. Many denominations use grape juice instead of wine, while others use wine. I don't think believing in transubstantiation is a sin at all, even if I don't fully share that belief.

Those are the Words of Institution, which, are a part of the theology for the Eucharist. Catholics see the teaching of the Eucharist in many places in the Bible, but the most obvious teaching is found in John 6.

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”

61 Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 Then what if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit[e] and life. 64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”

66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

• 2 weeks later...

They do not believe in transubstantiation.

No, the East does believe the bread and wine do indeed become the Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ. They simply don't feel the need to come up with a term for the process during which the change occurs. In fact, your next paragraph pretty much explains why.

I can see the problem here.

The Orthodox have this concept of "mystery". They generally don't like to define things. If you ask them how or why the Eucharist is the body of Christ, or when does it become the body of Christ, they might not give you an answer. They will just say, "It is the body of Christ."

Whereas, in the Catholic church, with the guidance of the Spirit we actually reveal these mysteries. Transubstantiation is one such doctrine. It explains as to "what happens" when the priest says the words of consecration. The Orthodox don't delve into these matters. They would just say, "It is the body of Christ."

So they might not accept the doctrine of Transubstantiation but they do believe that the Eucharist is the body and blood of Christ and so are permitted to receive the Eucharist.